Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The World Cup - Super Sixes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

GO HARVEY!!!!

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:43 am

Super Six needs upsets

By Jonathan Agnew
BBC cricket correspondent

It requires no further evidence of how dreadfully flawed this World Cup has become than the fact that Kenya are likely to proceed to the semi finals, even by losing every match in the Super Six.

Even worse, we know all of this in advance, making much of the next 10 days completely irrelevant.

Let me explain. If the results of the forthcoming matches go as form and logic dictate, Australia and India will win all their games to finish in the top two places in the table.

SUPER SIX TABLE
Australia: 12 points
Kenya: 10 points
India: 8 points
Sri Lanka: 7.5 points
New Zealand: 4 points
Zimbabwe: 3.5 points
Super Six and how it works
Sri Lanka will probably lose to Australia and India, but beat Zimbabwe, putting them in third place.

New Zealand, one assumes, will beat Zimbabwe but lose to Australia and India giving them eight points in total.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe are likely to beat Kenya, but lose to Sri Lanka and New Zealand, which would give the Kiwis 7.5 points and would knock them out.

So, for the good of the tournament, it goes without saying that we need some upsets. Although they have run into excellent form, India might be the team to provide it.

New Zealand play India on 14 March at Centurion Park and it is this game which gives New Zealand a chance of qualifying for a place in the last four at Kenya's expense.

A win for the Kiwis would lift them above Kenya, setting up the prospect of a semi-final between New Zealand and Australia.

The one proviso is Kenya do not beat Zimbabwe in Bloemfontein next Wednesday.

It is possible we might get another surprise or two, but because there is such a disparity between the teams, ranging from 12 points to four before a ball is bowled in this second stage, it is extremely unlikely to affect the outcome.

AGNEW'S VERDICT ON...
Bangladesh
Canada
England
Namibia
Netherlands
Pakistan
South Africa
West Indies
This is why I am so opposed to the structure of this tournament, and am so disappointed that mature, cricket-based decisions were not taken regarding the games that were boycotted.

At the end of the day, it is crucial a World Cup puts the game of cricket in the best possible light.

But the authorities were so determined not to lose even a cent of their $500m they are now left with a World Cup likely to be devoid of any excitement until the final itself.

How much would it have cost the ICC had it agreed to move England's match against Zimbabwe to South Africa at the very outset?

And, given Kenya were already playing some of their qualifying games in South Africa, why not move their match against New Zealand?

The Black Caps, being the only 'Western' team drawn to play in Nairobi, raised justifiable security fears following a recent terrorist attack there?

Two common-sense decisions would have helped to give us a World Cup to remember rather than one that urgently needs something inspirational to prevent it from becoming entirely forgettable.

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:46 am

What a joke.....lose all your super sixes games and advance to next round....lol

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:49 am

What's so Super about it?

By Davo
Our resident fair dinkum Aussie

I hereby declare the Super Sucks open.

No, I am not a Kiwi and you are not hearing things. So don't risk your life by mistaking me for one.

I'm afraid that's what the next stage of the World Cup means to me.

It stinks more than my caravan dunny the night before I empty it into the Yarra.

I mean, what's with teams starting the next stage with different numbers of points? They may as well play the semi-finals now.

And Kenya, I know they knocked over the Lankans but I reckon me and my indoor cricket team could've shot 'em down that day.

My local wicket could do with a drop of rain

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the underdogs. I was barkin' hard for the Canucks and loved watchin' John 'Davo' Davison club attacks like a caveman.

But on what I saw in the first three weeks there ain't no place in the next stage for them, and there ain't no place for Kenya.

I just don't I-C-C why the bleedin' authorities couldn't take their cricket balls in their hands and let everyone play on a level deck.

One way they could give the reserve day problem the heave-ho is to play the World Cup at my local oval. The pitch is a belter and it hasn't seen rain since Noah was a carpenter.

Still, it'll count for nowt when my beloved Aussies lift the trophy again on final day.

We're lookin' as sharp as a Stanley knife, though I'll admit the Poms gave us one hell of a fright 'til they lost the plot.

How on earth could anyone lose from that position?

I don't blame Hussain, I'd toss in the teddy too if my blokes stuffed it up like that.

There were no smiling faces in the South African dressing room the other night, but you had to laugh.

Imagine gettin' knocked out cos you can't add up! That'd never happen to the Aussies.

Down Under, we get taught Duckworth-Lewis calculations before times tables.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:10 pm

MASSIVE GAME TONIGHT.....

I think the Kiwis will really take it up to the aussies.....I see reports that they are going to target Hogg....good move

TERRY
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:51 pm

McMillan still not up to level selectors want, Vincent recalled
Lynn McConnell - 11 March 2003

New Zealand's selectors are still not happy with Craig McMillan's form and have dropped him for Lou Vincent to return to the side for tonight's important match against Australia at Port Elizabeth.

Vincent has just recovered from a thumb injury but selection chairman Sir Richard Hadlee said that Vincent gave the side speed, agility and accuracy in the field.

Hadlee said the selectors are still concerned with McMillan's lack of form and they felt Australia's bowling attack would quickly expose this.

"Craig has yet to address to our satisfaction some of the issues that have been hampering his form," Hadlee said.

"He is still not moving his feet or being disciplined in his application at the crease, which is why he failed on a flat wicket against Zimbabwe on Saturday."

The team for the Super Six match is: Stephen Fleming (captain), Andre Adams, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Brendon McCullum, Jacob Oram, Scott Styris, Daniel Vettori, Lou Vincent. Daryl Tuffey (12th man).

Kyle Mills was unavailable for selection because of injury.

Hadlee said he believed the New Zealand team had improved significantly this year and the match against Australia would provide a useful guide in just how far the team had improved.

The prize for success over the Australians today would be an automatic place in the semi-finals after Sri Lanka's loss to India yesterday.

"This should be incentive enough for them to produce their best performance at the World Cup to date," Hadlee said.

© CricInfo
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:29 am

How good is Australia? Come on people tell me how good are they? I made the mistake of thinking they were going to lose again tonight when the score was 84-7 but I just will never learn my lesson will I? You simply cannot write Australia off NEVER!

I couldn't believe New Zealand won the toss and sent Australia in to bat, it looked like it was going to pay off for them but as if that was going to happen! Bichel can just do no wrong can he! What an amazing knock, 64 runs just top stuff! Again Bevan did the job he needed to do, 56 runs just fantastic! Then the wonderful Brett Lee who hit two sixes off the last two balls to get Australia to 208 when it looked like they wouldn't make 100 unbelievable stuff! Great bowling by Bond of course and he won man of the match but that's as far as New Zealand's luck will go!

Then to top it all off it was just great bowling by our boys! McGrath you are a star taking the early wickets needed, 3-29 and Brett Lee god is he a joy to watch or what, 5-42. Australia win by a massive 96 runs!

I love watching this bloody fantastic team! GO AUSTRALIA! WE ROCK! Ian Smith do you mind sharing the score with me again? You were just too cocky to Healy mate SUFFER!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:06 am

Australia will not lose a match...

Just think how much they would be spanking sides with Warne and Dizzy in the side...

ATM its all too easy

TERRY
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:55 pm

If NZ beat India, they will be Australia's opponent in the semi. If they lose and SL beat Zimbabwe, SL will make the semi.

If they both win or both lose, NZ is in.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:56 pm

Well it is looking more and more like a India vs Australia final. Since Kenya have defeated Zimbabwe they now progress to the semi, and will face India. We will either play NZ or Sri lanka. If Sri lanka defeat Zimbabwe then we will face them.
We seem to have the wood over SL and we should progress to the final.
If we do face India the secret is to get Tandulker early. We do that we win. Simple.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:02 pm

Zaheer Khan took two wickets in the first over against NZ and Ashish Nehra has taken one since to have the Black Caps in a spot of trouble at 3/42 after 12 overs.
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:46 pm
Post subject: Looks like Aus v Sri Lanka semiReply with quote

New Zealand 7/96 - game over????
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:58 pm

NZ are 8/137 after 42 overs. Fleming made 30 and Cairns, 20.

Khan has 4/42 from 8 and Harbhajan, 2/28 from 10.
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:13 pm

New Zealand all out 146
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:51 am

India lost both openers and Ganguly for only 21 but a 100 partnership from Kaif (56) and Dravid (3Cool has them cruising towards victory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: