Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marks inside 50 conceded

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:34 pm
Post subject: Marks inside 50 concededReply with quote

This might not be the best game to bring it up, but it seems there hasn't been much discussion about how we've totally stopped the opposition from marking inside 50 over the win streak. Check out these numbers (for reference, the average marks inside 50 per team per game is 10-11.

Rounds 3-8: 20, 12 (against West Coast!), 13, 17, 16, 19. Average of 16.2, which is the worst in the competition (yes, worse than Norf).

Rounds 9-16: 2, 9, 3, 6, 10, 13. Average of 7.1, which is the best in the competition (yes, better than the famously stifling Melbourne).

So...what gives? More conservative style of play with fewer players running forward, but more attention paid to their own man? The defence becoming more familiar with each other? The midfield putting on better pressure leading to more bombs and fewer spot ups? Just better form from the defenders (Darcy in particular)? Changes in personnel (I find it hard to believe Murphy is *that* much of an upgrade on Madgen, but he's probably helped)? Something else?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analysis.
Personally, I think it’s just an entire new coaching staff teaching a whole new game plan and it’s taken a bit of time for it to come together. They seemed to start with a focus on heavier scoring and we got opened up a bit going the other way while we learnt the caper. Once the scoring was up, the coaches shifted to fine tuning the defence and the numbers above speak for themselves. Transition is everything in footy and it’s a very fine balancing act to get it right. It’s a credit to everyone involved that they seem to have got it right so quickly because it’s a huge departure from last years ball movement.
I take your point about Murphy vs Madgen but Murphy is just so good in any contests he’s involved in, he might be a bigger contributor to the improvement than it first seems.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Good analysis.
Personally, I think it’s just an entire new coaching staff teaching a whole new game plan and it’s taken a bit of time for it to come together. They seemed to start with a focus on heavier scoring and we got opened up a bit going the other way while we learnt the caper. Once the scoring was up, the coaches shifted to fine tuning the defence and the numbers above speak for themselves. Transition is everything in footy and it’s a very fine balancing act to get it right. It’s a credit to everyone involved that they seem to have got it right so quickly because it’s a huge departure from last years ball movement.
I take your point about Murphy vs Madgen but Murphy is just so good in any contests he’s involved in, he might be a bigger contributor to the improvement than it first seems.

Yeah, I think the game plan is the big one. It seems like we started out being really aggressive in the midfield, flooding the contest, which meant we dominated possession, but got opened up a lot. Plus the defenders were zoning really aggressively which made it too easy for an opposition midfielder under no pressure to hit a forward with nobody on him.

I think the change has been for the best, although we were certainly more entertaining early in the season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: