Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bevan - The Best Ever.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How many children have taken up cricket because of Bevan ?? Tendulkar has been way more influential for the game of cricket then Bevan could ever hope to be. Besides Australian supporters who would seriously put Bevan ahead of Tendulkar ?? The late Sir Don ?? Clearly not as Tendulkar was his favourite!! Who else would ?? Wisden ?? Probably not....

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:24 pm

SD, you mentioned strike rate to JLC. Won't do any good. That's his blind spot. "What! Bevan gets 3 runs from every 4 balls he faces!?? Can't be true so I'll ignore it" seems to be his reaction.

I think the stats you need to be quoting, JLC, are the ones indicating how often India wins ODI tournaments.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 06 March 2003).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:27 pm

Yeah ok you two and Nicki can think that Bevan is better than Tendulkar....lol thats fine

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:35 pm

More influential in the game of cricket? Tendulkar/Bevan

Tendulkar

Best Test Batsman? Tendulkar/Bevan

Tendulkar

Best Overall Batsman? Tendulkar/Bevan

Tendulkar

Best One Day Batsman?

Bevan

I think your subject matter is beginning to broaden my friend...

Walk with me through my valleys and you will sing with me on my mountain.
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:40 pm

How many children have taken up cricket because of Bevan...lol.

What the hell has that got to do with who the best one day batsman is?

Jeeesh. India are fanatical not only about Sachin but cricket as a whole...fanatical.

One minute we are comparing one day performances, and steadily I have countered test performances, statsistics from 1768 and now you've brought in the kids!

Oh the humanity!

A team is 7 for 100-Bevan, you the man I want!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:40 pm

Tendulkar is a better one day batsman as well

Most runs in One dayers

Most hundreds

Most Fifties

Most wickets

Out of those what does Bevan excel in ??

Maybe more not outs thats about it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:51 pm

Another HUGE hole in your argument JLC.

So Sachin is a better one day batsman than Bevan because he has

more fifties,

more hundreds

and more runs???

Hmmm...er...he's had 100, that's 100, more innings than our Bev.

300 innings to 200. Bevan not out in more than a quarter of his appearances at a TEN RUN per inning better average than Sachin.

Soooo...as your theory goes...Allan Border is a better batsman than that man you mentioned...Don Bradman.

'Oh bugger the average and the amount of innings they both played...Border is better-he has scored more runs...'

Still giggling.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:56 pm

Go and argue your case in India.....if you make it back alive then post your results

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:03 pm

Um no thanks.

I believe in free speech, a safe environment and political stability when expressing my views, that's what's great about Australia...hey...Michael Bevan is an Australian...that must mean that herepresents all of those great things I just mentioned above-he MUST be the best one day batsman in the world!

See ya JLC. Nice chatting.

Speak to you later. Go Pies!

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:02 pm

Easy one to conclude this....who would you rather have in your side Tendulkar or Bevan....

Only a person with serious problems or someone with the surname Bevan would not pick Sachin.....

End of story

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:33 pm

LMAO great posts SD well done!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:36 pm

Please read what these people say and then tell me Bevan is the best...thank you
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~zenaust/say.html

WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT SACHIN TENDULKAR

Cricket Historian Vasant Raiji: "I have always felt C. K. Nayadu was the best. I now think Sachin has the honour of being the most outstanding batsman of all time."
Sunil Gavaskar: "India's fortune will depend on how many runs the little champion scores. There is no doubt Tendulkar is the real thing."
M. L. Jaisimha: "The more I see of him the more confused I'm getting to which is his best knock."
Ravi Shastri: "We always knew that Sachin Tendulkar is a great cricketer, but after the Coca-Cola Cup here, we have seen the birth of a legend. I can't think of anybody who has batted more authoritatively in one day cricket for India, or even in the world except for Vivian Richards."
Mohammad Azharuddin: "When Tendulkar plays well, we really do not stand a chance to lose."
Ajay Jadeja: (after India entered the Coca-Cola cup final in Sharjah) "I can't dream of an innings like that. He exists where we can't."
Robin Singh: "Sachin is a gem of a person. He has a very positive attitude. Everybody in the team wants to win, but I guess Sachin wants to win more than anybody else."
Rahul Dravid: "Playing in the same team as Sachin is a huge honour. His balance of mind, shrewd judgement, modesty and, above all, his technical brilliance make him my all-time hero."
Navjot Sidhu: "His mind is like a computer. He stores data on bowlers and knows where they are going to pitch the ball."
Anshuman Gaekwad: "He is stupendous. I don't want to run out of adjectives describing him."
K R Wadhwaney: "Batting has been God's gift to him. Candidly, Sir Donald Bradman, a boy from Bowrel, had not been as gifted as India's little young man."
Mohinder Amarnath: "A complete batsman- he's the best in the business."
Lalchand Rajput, Former Mumbai captain: "Even as a teenager he always seemed very focused and alert on the field. He learnt his lessons fast."
Prof. R. Shetty, Secretary MCA: "We are proud to possess him due to his commitment to Mumbai and Indian cricket."
Harsha Bhogle: "There's no better sight on the cricket field than watch Tendulkar bat."
Raj Singh, President Cricket Board: "I was very impressed the first time I saw him bat as a little boy at the Cricket Club of India."
Don Bradman: I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two...hi compactness, technique, stroke production... it all seemed to gel!
David Boon: "Technically he stands out as the best because of his ability to increase the pace at will".
Jeff Thompson: "Sachin is an attacker. He has much more power than Sunny. He wants to be the one to set the pace. He has to be on top. That's the buzz about him."
Dennis Lillee: "If I've to bowl to Sachin, I'll bowl with my helmet on. He hits the ball so hard."
Steve Waugh: "You take Don Bradman away and he is next up I reckon."
Shane Warne: "I'll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player."
Steve Waugh: (after being defeated in the Coca-Cola Cup finals in Sharjah) "It was one of the greatest innings I have ever seen. There is no shame being beaten by such a great player, Sachin is perhaps only next to the Don''.
Shane Warne: "When it comes to judging the best among these fabulous band of batsmen, my vote goes to Tendulkar. He has an uncanny ability to come out on top under different circumstances and under different conditions, whether it is Test cricket or one-day internationals. And more importantly, he has done this so young. "
Kasprowicz: "Don't bowl him bad balls, he hits the good ones for fours."
Allan Border: (after India won the Coca-Cola cup in Sharjah) "Hell, if he stayed, even at 11 an over he would have got it."
Greg Chappell: "He is a perfectly balanced batsman and knows perfectly well when to attack and when to play defensive cricket. He has developed the ability to treat bowlers all over the world with contempt and can destroy any attack with utmost ease. "
Border: It's scary, where the hell do we bowl to him.
Ian Chappell: Yeah mate, but that's with all great players.
Border: Well yes, but imagine what he'll be like when he's 28.
Greg Chappell: I'd like to see him go out and bat one day with a stump. I tell you he'd do okay.
Mark Waugh: Sachin's better; Lara is more risky outside the off stump.
Shane Warne: Nothing affects Sachin, Brian lets things bother him.
Steve Waugh: In history Sachin will go down as second to Bradman.
Shane Warne: You have to decide for yourself whether you're bowling well or not. He's going to hit you for fours and sixes anyway. Kasprowicz has a superior story. During the Bangalore Test, frustrated, he went to Dennis Lillee and asked, "Mate, do you see any weaknesses?" Lillee replied, "No Michael, as long as you walk off with your pride that's all you can do."
Mark Taylor: "He's a phenomenon. We have to be switched on when he plays allow him no boundries, for then he doesn't stop."
Ian Healy: "Tendulkar is the most complete batsman I have stood behind. I saw the hundred in Perth on a bouncy pitch with Hughes, McDermott and Whitney gunning for him - he only had 60-odd when No 11 came in. I've seen him against Warne too."
Ian Chappell: "Harder he works, the luckier he gets."
Richie Benaud: "He has defined cricket in his fabulous, impeccable manner. He is to batting what Shane Warne is to bowling."
Mike Coward: "Sachin's the best. I've had this view since I saw him score that hundred in Sydney in 1992. He's the most composed batsman I've ever seen."
Paul Wilson: "He's better than Ben Hur.
Mark Waugh: "The pressure on me is nothing as compared to Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin, like God, must never fail. The crowd always expects him to succeed and it is too much pressure on him."
Glenn McGrath: "I still think Tendulkar is the best batsmen in the world ahead of Steve Waugh and Lara"
Sir. Gary Sobers: "He is currently the best batsman in the world."
Brian Lara: "He's a genius. I'm a mere mortal."
Micheal Holding: "Sachin's undoubtedly no.1 today but I wouldn't start comparing him with Viv Richards till he scores hundreds against quality fast bowlers on fast pitches."
Vivian Richards: "He's 99.5 percent perfect. I'd pay to see him."
Wesley Halls: "The only way to stop him is to keep him off the strike."
Vivian Richards: "He's always ready, it's a mental preparedness thing. I too focused on being aggressive. But Sachin has something special. He's blessed."
Clive Lloyd: "He is a tremendous cricketer. He is young and has got a lot of ability. He's got his own style. He has got the temperament for big cricket and I hope that he goes from strength to strength."
Brian Lara: "He is a very good batsman. Perhaps he is the best in the world now. If he plays consistently he will go down in history as a great cricketer."
Tony Greig: "He is cool, has magnificent temperament, and is so mature you tend to forget his age. I can't think of any other example of a player who has so dominated the world before the age of 25."
Ted Dexter: (who chaired the panel, the Coopers & Lybrand award as the International Test player of the year) "This year Tendulkar has been the batsman nobody wanted to bowl at. He took Shane Warne apart in India, which illustrates his genius."
The Rev David Shepherd: "Sachin Tendulkar! If he isn't the best player in the world, I want to see the best player in the world."
Tony Lewis: "He has a most competitive temperament. He has not needed special coaches to teach him how to compete. It is inbuilt."
Adam Hollioke: "In an over I can bowl six different balls. But then Sachin looks at me with a sort of gentle arrogance down the pitch as if to say 'Can you bowl me another one?'"
Tony Grieg: "There's no doubt about it. He is the best."
Geoffrey Boycott: "Technically, you can't fault Sachin. Seam or spin, fast or slow - nothing is a problem."
Peter Roebuck: "Sometime back I had written a piece that said that Sachin's the master and Lara a genius with his head high up somewhere. That's it."
Kieth Fletcher: "A little genius. Reminds me of Sunny Gavaskar."
Eddie Barlow: "He is Sachin Tendulkar. I hope he stays Sachin Tendulkar. We need a new player, a player in his own way. He has a technique which is the hallmark of a great player. Everything indicates that he will be a great player and I am sure he will prove me right. Reminds me of Barry Richards."
Barry Richards: "Destined to be a great."
Paul Strang: "What we (Zimbabwe) need is 10 Tendulkars."
Dave Houghton: "Other players might keep India in business in the '99 World Cup but victory shall only come through his bat."
Wasim Akram: "He has everything a top batsman needs. Tendulkar is a classic example of a player being so good that his age is an irrelevance"
Asif Iqbal: (after India won at Sharjah) "He has given a new dimension to batting. Such dominance can break the heart of the best of bowlers. I was never tired of watching this wonderful batsman."
INDIA TODAY describing Sachin's 155* at Chennai, 1998 vs Australia: "There is no way to tell it. The art of fiction is dead. Reality has strangled invention. Only the utterly impossible, the inexpressibly fantastic can ever be plausible again."
Garth Jones (Scorer for the press in Napier, NZ): "We know a big innings from the prodigy means a definite loss for New Zealand, but it is worth it."

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:14 pm

Topic was Bevan - Best ever

didn't realise there was a disclaimer clause and this only applied to when teams are 7 for.

my apologies

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:32 am

Interesting link on BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/sports_talk/2826161.stm

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:33 am

Courtesy of BBC

Sachin Tendulkar, India

CWC 2003 runs: 469
Average: 78.2
Highlight: 98 runs to inspire win v Pakistan

In one-day cricket or Test matches, the search for the world's best batsman begins and ends with Tendulkar.

The Little Master is relishing his new role as an opener and already has five 50s - in six innings - to his name.

A dazzling knock of 98 against Pakistan showed boundless spirit and class.

Have a nice day

JLC

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: