Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The World Cup.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Namibia are 2/154 after 28 overs and still in the race to overhaul Holland's 314.

Karg and LJ Burger each scored 41 and Keulder is on 38 with Murgatroyd on 30.

Sri Lanka are 3/90 after 22 overs against South Africa. Atapattu is 51 n.o.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 04 March 2003).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:13 am

PAKISTAN PLAYERS' BRAWL

Pakistan's players brawled amongst themselves on Monday on the eve of their final World Cup Group A match against Zimbabwe.

The incident, which occurred during a football match, was witnessed by reporters and photographers.

Tempers flared when Younis Khan challenged fellow batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq for the ball. The pair squared up and when team mate Saeed Anwar tried to defuse the situation he was pushed to the ground by Inzamam.

Coach Richard Pybus called off the game and led the players back to the dressing room. They re-emerged 20 minutes later to resume training in the nets, while Inzamam was driven back to the team hotel.

Skipper Waqar Younis said no players would face disciplinary action and played down the incident: "It's nothing new. We always have this problem when we play soccer."

Pakistan must win their game against Zimbabwe to have any chance of staying in the tournament, although even then they are likely to go out on run rate.

Inzamam, one of the world's leading batsmen, has had a wretched World Cup, having made 16 runs in five innings, averaging 3.20.

He was run out for six after a mix-up with Anwar in Pakistan's six-wicket defeat against India on Saturday at Centurion.

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:57 am

What a rotten way for SA to fall out of the cup. I like watching SA play cricket, admitedly they haven't been fantastic during the cup, but it would of been nice to see the host nation, at least make it into the 6. Missing out, because of rain, yet again.

When I wrote this, I didn't relise at the time that it was by there own stupid error. Very costly mistake.

Bec
Go Pies!!

[This message has been edited by Madpies_Fan (edited 04 March 2003).]
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:16 am

It's their own fault. They lost against the Windies because of a Klusener blunder and, although I've only just read about last night's tie, I don't think the rain would've suddenly appeared.

They would've known the rain was coming and therefore would also have known what they needed to be at the end of that last over. The last ball of the 2003 WC for SA was a dot when a single run would've seen them qualify 1st. in Pool B!

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:19 am

Kenya carry max points from sri lanka and NZ....what a classic

australia should forfeit to Kenya and make sure Kenya get in semis....lol lol

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:27 am

Its a classic!!! Wonder if anybody put any money on them for getting to the super sixers

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:38 am

Well, it was the old heads that did the job for Sri Lanka. Marvan Atapattu's 124 from 129 was a top innings as was Aravinda de Silva's 73 from 78.

Then it was the spin of de Silva(2/36) and Sanath Jayasuriya(2/45) that undid South Africa.

After Graham Smith(35 from 34) and Herschelle Gibbs(73) had got their team off to a 65 run start in 67 balls, the wily old spinners dragged the game back. Shaun Pollock's 25 from 37 and Lance Klusener's 1 from 8 will haunt them.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:51 am

We blundered over victory target - Pollock
Reuters - 3 March 2003

South African captain Shaun Pollock conceded that a miscalculation in the dressing room cost his team the chance of victory over Sri Lanka after Monday's rain-affected tie sent the hosts tumbling out of the World Cup.

With rain falling and the game set to be cut short, Pollock said 12th man Nicky Boje had got a message to Mark Boucher in the middle that, in the case of a revised target, 229 runs would be needed for South Africa to win. In reality, 230 were required.

Boucher hit what proved to be the penultimate ball of the match from spinner Muttiah Muralitharan for six to take the score to 229, then defended the final delivery of the over.

"Boje wasn't able to get out there and give them the piece of paper to keep, but the message that was portrayed was 229," a clearly emotional Pollock said afterwards.

"But you can't look at that and worry about that. He (Boucher) didn't know the game was going to finish after that ball.

"There was a lot that went on after that ball before we came off. If we'd faced one more ball of the next over and got one off that, we could have been through. There are lots of ifs and buts."

However, Sri Lankan captain Sanath Jayasuriya said he was fully aware that 229 was enough for the tie.

"We knew that it (229) was for the tie - I had the sheet in my hand," he said with a grin. "I had the sheet when it started to rain."

Pollock, who could be seen with his head in his hands as the rain continued to fall, said his squad felt the downpours had abated enough for the teams to return to the field and complete the match.

"We just felt that it had got to the stage where it was raining the same. There's no rule that says you can't go out if it's spitting. But they (umpires Steve Bucknor and Srinivas Venkatraghavan) decided it was unfit for play and you have to by the umps' decisions.

"You can look at all the ifs and buts but in the end it doesn't help much."

Sri Lanka had posted a total of 268 for nine after winning the toss. Under the Duckworth-Lewis scoring system, victory targets can be revised up or down, depending how much time is left and how well the chasing team has been batting, if matches are curtailed by rain.

Monday's extraordinary finale was an eerie repeat of the 1999 World Cup in England, when South Africa were eliminated in the semi-finals after a tie with Australia. The Australians went through because of their better record in previous games.

Pollock, who was in that 1999 side which lost to the Australians at Edgbaston, added of Monday outcome: "It's got to rank up there as possibly the most disappointing thing.

"Two ties in the last two World Cups and out of both of them. The guys are gutted. I felt we deserved better on the day."

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:55 am

When it comes down to the bottom line, Sri Lanka were simply better organised.

From the article > However, Sri Lankan captain Sanath Jayasuriya said he was fully aware that 229 was enough for the tie.

"We knew that it (229) was for the tie - I had the sheet in my hand," he said with a grin. "I had the sheet when it started to rain."

Ouch!!

Donny.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:30 am

For a full explanation of the Duckwit Lewis system see:
http://www.thebladder.com.au/content/news/displayContent.asp?CID=514&EID=74

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"

[This message has been edited by WhyPhilWhy? (edited 04 March 2003).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:37 am

I prefer the old days when they had a day set aside for when rain washed out play......it seems a silly way to decide a result.

Its funny when they chose the time to play world cup they saud there was a 97% chance or something similar of it not raining in that time of year....lol However it has rained a bit during the tournament so far.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:12 am

Just in from the South African dressing room:

Shaun Pillick: Okay, Jacques, it looks like its Duckworth Lewis time. How many resources do we have left?
Jacques Callous: Including the biltong? I think bloody Herschelle’s eaten it all again.
Shaun Pillick: Jacques, just forget about the biltong. Tell me what resources we’ve got left.
Jacques Callous: OK, we've got 128 balls, 6 batsmen - 4 chickens and a small dog.
Shaun Pillick: Alright, on my calculation, that makes 71 percent.
Jacques Callous: Ohh wait - I think Lance Kleusner counts for 1 resource and 2 chickens
Shaun Pillick: Is Tony Greig commentating?
Jacques Callous: Yes, but it's a Tuesday.
Shaun Pillick: So - 73%?
Shaun Pillick: Wait - what star sign are you?
Jacques Callous: Ummm.....
Shaun Pillick: Ok, don’t worry. On my calculation we need to kick 6 goals (including at least 2 nine pointers) by the windward mark.
Jacques Callous: Unless we score an Albatross on the last hole.
Jacques Callous: But that would require a drive of 2 Leagues, using a number 5 tennis bat.
Shaun Pillick: And the red ball potted from outside the 3 point zone.
Jacques Callous: Oh no - look - there's been a Penalty - the have a short corner.
Shaun Pillick: Look bugger it - I'm just gonna shoot for Triple 20.
Jacques Callous: Damn! Too late Shaun - the game finished an hour ago.

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"

[This message has been edited by WhyPhilWhy? (edited 04 March 2003).]
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:16 am

Lol, WPW. But they DO ask for it.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:29 pm

The Windies have made a good start against Kenya. Chanderpaul(52 from 53) and Gayle(37) have taken 90 from the first 20 overs. This could be a BIG total.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:07 pm

The Windies were kept to 7/246 against Kenya.

Chris Gayle made 119 and Shiv Chanderpaul, 66. They shared an opening partnership of 122.

Steve Tikolo bowled a tight spell of 8 overs for 28 runs and the scalp of Brian Lara, for 10. Suji bowled well, returning 1/38 from his 10. Angara and Odumbe each took two wickets but were expensive.

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 04 March 2003).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25   

Jump to: