Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The World Cup.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:54 am
Post subject: The World Cup.Reply with quote

I must say, I had my doubts about Ricky Ponting as skipper but, apart from sending Sri Lanka in to bat in Sydney (lol), I've been most impressed.

The Aussies left, this morning, for South Africa to begin their quest for the Cup - their defence of the Cup, actually.

PONTING SEEKING EARLY SCALPS
By JON PIERIK
30jan03

RICKY Ponting has warned Australia it must be right on the ball from its opening World Cup match against Pakistan in a bid to avoid any unnecessary pressure.

While the defending champion looks to have a relatively smooth run through Group A, skipper Ponting believes his team's toughest battles are likely to come first-up when it meets a streaky Pakistan on February 11 and against the inconsistent yet talented India four days later.
The Aussies then confront the Netherlands, Zimbabwe, Namibia and England in the remaining preliminary rounds and, while those encounters should be pencilled in as wins, an early stumble could harm their hopes of finishing in the top three of the group and advancing to the Super Six stage.

"Probably our two biggest games are our first two, so we have got to be right on the ball from ball one basically and be ready to play," Ponting said.

Preparing for the first time to lead Australia into a World Cup, Ponting remembers the tense situation the side found itself in early on in the 1999 World Cup in England and is desperate to avoid a repeat.

After easily accounting for Scotland in their opening match, Steve Waugh's men were humbled by New Zealand and Pakistan and suddenly faced the distinct possibility of failing to advance to the Super Six stage.

But, led by a determined Waugh and resurgent Shane Warne, the side recovered and went on to win its second World Cup in memorable style.

"Hopefully we don't get off to that sort of start again," Ponting said.

"We had our backs to the wall for most of the last World Cup."

While that famous victory remains a vivid memory in the minds of many of the players, Ponting and Australian coach John Buchanan are keen for this team to start afresh and create its own piece of history.

With that in mind, Ponting has told his teammates to forget they are the defending champions.

"We are not going there to defend it, we are going there to win it again," he said. "That's a big thing the team has spoken about. It's a big tournament, there is going to be pressure on all the players, probably more pressure on me. But I think I'll be able to handle it and I am sure the rest of the guys will as well."

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any doubts about Punter being skipper until he sent Sri Lanka in to bat at Sydney that really scared me! Apart from that he is everything I thought he would be! I can't wait for the World Cup it's going to be fantastic! Go Ricky!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:54 pm

New Zealand will forfeit World Cup points - Bacher
Reuters - 31 January 2003

JOHANNESBURG, Jan 31 (Reuters) - New Zealand's World Cup match against Kenya will not be switched to South Africa and the Black Caps will forfeit their points, the tournament's chief organiser Ali Bacher said on Friday.

Bacher, executive director of cricket's showpiece, was speaking after Friday's decision by New Zealand Cricket (NZC) not to honour their World Cup fixture in Nairobi because of security concerns.

"The International Cricket Council (ICC) has ruled that the match will not be replayed in South Africa and New Zealand would forfeit the points," Bacher told a press conference to welcome the Kenya team at Johannesburg airport on Friday.

"It's unfortunate that the New Zealand Cricket board meeting has taken the decision that they will not honour their obligation to play in Nairobi.

"We share your (Kenya's) disappointment that the game will not take place as scheduled. Having said that we must respect the decision of the New Zealand cricket council."

NZC said its team would not play the match because there was "a tangible terrorist threat in Nairobi".

Bacher said: "The show must go on and we will make sure this is a wonderful event for Africa."

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:36 pm

I think NZ have done the right thing

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:46 pm

The Aussies are having a warm up match against North West at Potchefstroom.

Batting first, they scored 280 in their 50 overs with Darren Lehmann blasting a run-a-ball 64 before retiring to give Haydos a bat. Damien Martyn made 40 and Brad Hogg hit 31 from 34.

North West have just started their innings.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:57 am

They got a few early but were completely stifled by Warne and Hogg and could only muster 129.

Hogg's 2/20 from 9 and Warney's 2/14 from 7 really shut them down after Lee had taken 3/27 earlier.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:07 am

Lehmann excels at that level of cricket

Roe
Wolmarans
Bhayat
Moleon
Siwani
Coetsee

Must have been a high quality knock

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:23 am

The Aussies got 280 not 380!! This was (other than Gilly) the best Oz XI. All the others got less than Boof.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:30 am

As i said great knock....i will make sure i tape Aus v Bangladesh or Kenya just so i can watch vintage Lehmann

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:26 pm

Zimbabwe refuse to play in South Africa
Cris Chinaka - 5 February 2003

HARARE, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Zimbabwe hit back against a threatened boycott of their home World Cup matches on Wednesday by refusing to play if the games are switched to South Africa.

Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) chairman Peter Chingoka, reacting to England's request to move their game from Harare to South Africa because of security concerns in the strife-torn country, said: "We have made a decision that we will not play any of our home matches away if they are shifted for political reasons."

The ZCU's stand is the latest twist in a long-running controversy bedevilling the tournament over whether matches should go ahead in Zimbabwe and Kenya. The first game of the World Cup is due to be played on Sunday.

Chingoka told Reuters: "For us, there is no good reason for the games to be shifted from Zimbabwe. We have addressed all security and safety reasons.

"What remains are political arguments which have no place in cricket."

The International Cricket Council (ICC) is set to decide on Thursday whether to agree to England's request to move their February 13 match.

Australia have also expressed some concerns but are still planning to play against Zimbabwe in Bulawayo on February 24, while India and Pakistan, the Netherlands and Namibia have said they are happy to go ahead with their games as scheduled.

New Zealand, meanwhile, are refusing to play their match against Kenya in Nairobi on February 21, also because of security fears. They have yet to formally appeal to the ICC for a shift of venue.

Six World Cup pool matches are due to be staged in Zimbabwe, with two more in Kenya. South Africa is scheduled to host 46.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:11 pm

Warne injury scare as runs flow in warm-up games
Reuters - 6 February 2003

Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne damaged a finger and conceded 70 runs in eight overs as runs flowed in 10 World Cup warm-up matches across South Africa on Thursday.

South Africa openers Gary Kirsten and Andrew Hall and New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming struck unbeaten centuries, but Warne's injury scare and the Northerns batsmen dominated the early action.

Warne, who has taken 291 one-day international wickets, left the field after being hit while fielding and received treatment on the fourth finger of his bowling hand.

He returned to the attack but 21-year-old Jacques Rudolph smashed 150, including six sixes and 14 fours, against the world champion Australians to help the hosts make 277.

Kirsten and Hall shared a first-wicket partnership of 209 before both retired, allowing Boeta Dippenaar (45), Jonty Rhodes (23) and Lance Klusener (22) some batting practice as the tournament hosts piled up a total of 327 for seven against Western Province.

Kirsten's 100 included 10 fours and Hall found the boundary 17 times, including four sixes, in his 106 from 86 balls.

New Zealand's batsmen also enjoyed themselves in the sunshine at Soweto, Fleming's 122 containing three sixes and 10 fours, and all rounder Chris Cairns contributing a quickfire 70 from only 59 balls as the Kiwis amassed 306 for five against Gauteng.

England bowled out Border for 202 in East London, with fast bowler Steve Harmison and spinner Ashley Giles claiming three wickets each, India restricted KwaZulu Natal to 190 for nine.

Pakistan captain Waqar Younis completed figures of three for 33 as the 1999 World Cup runners-up restricted Easterns to 215 for nine.

Sri Lanka were taking on Free State, Canada playing North West, the Netherlands meeting Boland, and Kenya facing Eastern Province in the day's other games.

The tournament begins on Sunday when co-hosts South Africa take on West Indies in Cape Town.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:20 am

Rudolph missed out on World Cup selection due to Sth Africas race policy ie 5 coloured players had to play......lol Seems like a talented player. Aussies won by 5 wickets anyway

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:27 am

Rudolf played club cricket in Devon for a season or two. I played against him 2 or 3 years ago (was the season before his 'selection' in the Sydeny test). Saw him again at that particular club last year, and amongst other things, said the 'selection' left him pretty shattered for quite a while. Good player though, and a nice bloke too boot.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:57 am

This ones for you Donny M8. The other part of the article was about Steve Waugh and i've posted that. Its headline was "If this bloke cant get a game in the World Cup..."

Seems im NOT the ONLY one that has to get over Steve Waugh

Failed: Andrew Symonds.

... how can this bloke?
By ROBERT CRADDOCK
07feb03

ALL-ROUNDER Andrew Symonds has been told to back his instincts as he labours in a form slump that threatens his international future.

Picked on potential by national selectors for the fifth year running, Symonds has failed to measure up to expectations.
The selectors gave him a massive endorsement, giving him a contract at the start of the season then choosing him for the World Cup.

But he scored 12 runs in five VB Series innings.

Australian coach John Buchanan said he and Symonds had talked about it.

"I think it is about him backing his own instincts," Buchanan said. "Everybody tries to do the right thing by him and him by himself. There is lots of advice about how he should play the game.

"I really think the best way he can play the game is to make sure his preparation is the best it can be, which he is doing, so his instincts take hold once he gets out there rather than play like other people think he should play."

Buchanan didn't think impact players such as Symonds should be marked on consistency.

"I'm not sure we can ever expect consistency out of a player who is a bit of a risk-taker. They take those risks. That makes them exciting.

"At some stage during the course of this series he is going to make that impact for us."

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:58 am

My favourite part is "Picked on potential for the fifth year running"....lmao lmao Out of Interest how long haS Hohns been a selector for ??

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25   

Jump to: