Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Swans end Pies' run. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

tbaker wrote:

-as the ladder stands now, neither Geelong or Swans have played any other top 8 side twice.
-Sydney will have played 3 games against the clear 2 bottom sides (WCE/North).
-Geelong will have 4 games against the bottom 2. If that's not a dream run (for a team continually playing finals) then I don't know what is.

And to rub it in, articles printed recently criticising our wins as only against weak teams. Yet not a word about Geelong’s draw. Geelong doesn’t play their home games at Marvel either.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:09 pm

Any criticism of Callum this game is totally unwarranted.
I get the human nature that comes with honing in on one’s preferred whipping boy and then refusing to see any good but let’s not lose our total objectivity about an individuals performance. Compare his half game to Carmichaels full game and their performances were chalk and cheese. Not knocking Carmichael who has done brilliantly well just to be playing AFL but he wasn’t up to the pressure on offer on the weekend. At least Callum Brown was.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Any criticism of Callum this game is totally unwarranted.
I get the human nature that comes with honing in on one’s preferred whipping boy and then refusing to see any good but let’s not lose our total objectivity about an individuals performance. Compare his half game to Carmichaels full game and their performances were chalk and cheese. Not knocking Carmichael who has done brilliantly well just to be playing AFL but he wasn’t up to the pressure on offer on the weekend. At least Callum Brown was.

I thought Callum Brown did a good job playing out of the backline against Sydney, but I can't see a place for him there and with a midfield developing next year with MaCrae playing out of the middle, I can't see a place for Callum there either. I'd hate to see Callum Brown lost to AFL footy and we have to delist three with Callum on the edge of the delist list now that Bianco has a new contract. Surely the club can do something to ensure Callum finds an AFL club next year. We managed to find Witts a new club. North Melbourne and Adelaide need players. Maybe we can organize a trade there for a low draft pick.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:34 pm

Lloyd has the Swans in the GF, im not with him on that. Sure, the beat a tired Magpies team, shredded by flu to top players, who lost best mid fielder pre game, no Tay, then Ginnivin off early. Despite this, with Buddy going nuts an wanking up the chardonnay set in the swans sickening crowd, despite having most of the play, on that mini shithole ground, they did not smash us by ten goals or so. They play well up there on that shitty small ground, but get them on the big wide, MCG, and be very different story.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm

We've beaten Sydney once in the last 4 outings at the SCG, it's not a ground we, or anyone else for that matter play consistently well at.
Sydney have dropped one match at home, against the Lions. They've won 6 on the trot since having a brain fade against Essendon at the MCG. They're in great form, so give them some respect, they're a good side.

We were going to be up against it from the get go without our two mid-field contested bulls.
A reality check for those thinking Carmichael could have gone up against Melbourne's midfield let alone Sydneys.
Macrae is honing his craft in the VFL and in some good touch. T.Brown too looked great in the VFL, but struggled in the seniors. Carmichael might be doing the same if JDG and Adams were fit.
All will continue to look great in the VFL, but they'll get chopped up by hardened footballers in the same position in the seniors.
Give these kids time to develop. When they come in, they'll roll between the flanks until such time as they've built up the frame and tank to do it over 4 quarters.
If they look a bit lost when they come in, it's because they've been taken out of the position they've been playing well in, before getting slotted into a position like the half-forward flank, which takes time to adjust.

If we expect to stay in contention next year, we clearly need a Tarranto or Hopper on our list.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 pm

Did anyone notice the rugby leagues line markings still on the SCG in the Sydney Collingwood match was very confusing must say and the ground was like churned up
I wasn’t sure if it was AFL or nrl
They had both on the ground
I have not seen something like it before
I know Sydney roosters and South’s use the SCG for their games most times on the same weekend as well
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The loss was a long time coming. We looked rather tired and it seemed that the smaller SCG suited the Swans enabling them to flood back more easily.
If we'd played on the MCG I reckon we'd have had their measure. Losing JDG, on top of Adams, was a major blow. I think Mihocek is playing sore too.

All in all, however, it wasn't disastrous. We did not get thrashed, and we will regroup quickly and hopefully get JDG back to face the Blues.

Went into this game hoping for the streak to continue, but at the same time effectively expecting the run to end.

Sydney, to their credit, one of the very FEW teams who can match it with us in the tackling department. They stifled our ball use, and shut down our prime movers. Now every team has a blue-print to beat us; f*cking wonderful.

Some of the decision making by our senior players was inept and idiotic.
We certainly contributed to Sydney's score line, rather than them running all over us.

Not impressed with overall effort, but not disgraced either.
Hoping those flu rumours contributed factually to some of our forwards, who weren't real fussed about chasing the ball out of our F50.

Backline held up well all things considered, considering how quickly the ball came back each time they repelled it.

Anyhoo, plenty for McFly to work with there when reviewing the entire game with the team during the week; a few players will be watching some of those efforts sheepishly I'd suggest.

So next time I crap on about securing Sam Reid for a year or two, should he find himself off their list by the end of 2022, again I say - look closely at him as a short term forward option, if gettable and cheap.

2nd down to 5th was a decent positional fall for an "honourable loss".
But it should provide some incentive to produce a better effort next sunday, or the consequences are dire indeed.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lloyd has the Swans in the GF, im not with him on that. Sure, the beat a tired Magpies team, shredded by flu to top players, who lost best mid fielder pre game, no Tay, then Ginnivin off early. Despite this, with Buddy going nuts an wanking up the chardonnay set in the swans sickening crowd, despite having most of the play, on that mini shithole ground, they did not smash us by ten goals or so. They play well up there on that shitty small ground, but get them on the big wide, MCG, and be very different story.

Well they will get 2 finals at the SCG and win them both and they’ll make a GF so they are definitely in the box seat. Whether they can win a GF is a very different question, but they’d be in the box seat to make it now.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:42 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
Buddy is becoming the reincarnation of Adam Goodes at the end of both of their careers, every-thing that happens to him according to him should be a free kick and he voices it to the umpires, and then he explains to the umpire why every out of bounds should be a free against the opposition. The commentators don't say a word, although Brian Taylor did make one comment during this match. But the commentators didn't when it came to Goodes, but once the crowds get sick of it and start to boo, it will become something else.

This annoyed the hell out of also. Always looking for a free kick! Evil or Very Mad

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:58 pm

90 nice wrote:
Did anyone notice the rugby leagues line markings still on the SCG in the Sydney Collingwood match was very confusing must say and the ground was like churned up
I know Sydney roosters and South’s use the SCG for their games most times on the same weekend as well

Rabbits play at Accor Stadium, not SCG.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 pm

winpies wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:
Buddy is becoming the reincarnation of Adam Goodes at the end of both of their careers, every-thing that happens to him according to him should be a free kick and he voices it to the umpires, and then he explains to the umpire why every out of bounds should be a free against the opposition. The commentators don't say a word, although Brian Taylor did make one comment during this match. But the commentators didn't when it came to Goodes, but once the crowds get sick of it and start to boo, it will become something else.

This annoyed the hell out of also. Always looking for a free kick! Evil or Very Mad

Yep … I call him Jesus Christ cause he’s always got his arms like he’s nailed to a cross.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:33 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
90 nice wrote:

Rabbits play at Accor Stadium, not SCG.

The Roosters played the Broncos there on Saturday afternoon.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:32 am

"the loss we had to have" I heard that a bit after the game and made me feel sick.

If we beat Carlton, and somehow get up over the Cats in week 1 of finals, then I'll say the loss to the Swans could have been a blessing in disguise.

But we've put ourselves under pressure now to beat Carlton.

Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 am

I don't know if anyone else noticed but there appeared to be a lot more of very poor handball by Collingwood during the Swans game. For some reason there was a high number skill errors in putting poorly delivered handball's from players not under pressure to players who were immediately under more pressure than the guy who handballed it to them. Maybe it was the perceived pressure the team felt from a very good Swans team but even when players were feeding off to running players who were well open I noticed numerous times the ill-directed handball missed the target resulting in the loose player having to stop and backtrack to take possession by which time momentum was lost and the opposition were able to catch up to pressure the receiver. Such skill errors really stifled any chances to take the initiative in this game. Hopefully the team will be able to better execute this important skill a lot better over the next month.
Also I thought there was far too many interference between our own defenders spoiling their own team mates in our defense on Sunday afternoon. Moore & Howe still need to be better coordinated with team mates when flying for marks. Not sure there was the necessary "connection" with the defensive team vs Swans and again the looseness of our defenders was shown up by a very good Sydney team. Not sure if I should blame the players or the coach i.e. Leppitch for this apparent slackness in covering loose opposition forwards ?
Also I hate to say it, but am I the only person seeing Pendlebury fumbling more often than he has ever before done? One of Pendlebury's great strengths was his sure hands in tight situations but I think there has started to be a worrying signs that our great champion is getting on in age and maybe the twilight of his stellar career will see a gradual drop off from his very high benchmark of performance. I was hoping for some more stellar performances from the great man to help drive and lead the Pies to the premiership this year. He'll need a lot more support than he got on Sunday if that dream is to come true!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 am

^^ ^

There’s some fair points, Boot. We generally focus on our own players failings in a loss but the reality is every win or loss is as much about the opposition as it is Collingwood. The Swans are a very good side with an average winning margin of 40 + points up there. You don’t return those numbers without applying relentless pressure on the opposition for extended periods. The first indication of any team not handling the pressure, is not handling the ball well.
It’s also a competition that doesn’t lend its self to extended winning streaks and at some point, there will always come a day when a playing collective subconsciously gets a little comfortable and the foot comes off the accelerator ( notice our poorest “ effort “ came immediately after knowing we’re going to play finals )
The players don’t mean to relax but it just happens in most elite environments. If it didn’t, then we’d never have upsets. I’m not saying thats why we lost but I am saying we are certainly capable of being much better than what we saw against the Swans, particularly elsewhere.
I think we will continue to be competitive against the best anytime we play on the G and why wouldn’t we because our game style revolves around that grounds dimensions.
We are going to learn a lot more about this group on the rebound and that’s something we haven’t seen for nearly three months now.
Bring it on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: