Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How does your rubbish collection work?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:25 pm
Post subject: How does your rubbish collection work?Reply with quote

We have 3 bins.

1 for general rubbish, 1 for green waste, 1 for recycling.

Rubbish collected each week, green waste and recycling on alternate weeks (ie, every fortnight)

Last month, Banyule made some changes. They gave us plenty of notice, delivering a replacement rubbish bin and other stuff.

New deal is from last month, rubbish collected fortnightly instead of weekly, Recycling stays the same, but food scraps go into the green waste bin which is now collected weekly.

The changes don't really impact me much, minor adjustment no inconvenience, but watching a news piece of parents of young kids complaining that having 2 weeks between collections when the rubbish bin is full of dirty nappies, summer time will be Ewwwwww for them.

How does yours work, is your council looking at doing similar to Banyule and if so, what do you think about it?

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Still weekly rubbish and fortnightly recycling or green waste. I fill the general waste most weeks and simply don't bother with the other 2. I think we have food scraps in the green waste bin as that's what the green bin at work is used for, but I don't bother.

But those people on the news are right, no one wants 2 weeks of rubbish piling up, or if you're unlucky enough to get bloody dog owners leaving their shit in your bin for 2 weeks...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:47 pm

Yep, same thing happened in our council area, Bayside. Of the three bins, the one we seem to fill the most is recycling – our regular and green waste bins are only 20% full most weeks. What I’m paranoid about is forgetting to put the bins out one fortnight and ending up with a month’s worth of rubbish!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:56 am

I have done that twice at work with our monthly cardboard recycling bin...
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:43 am

For an international comparison, we can put out green household waste, household rubbish and household recyclable waste every week in paid bags or wheelie bins. Green garden waste collection is a couple of times a month in a wheelie bin or compostable bags.

The geography is much denser here as you can imagine, so there are more terrace houses and lots of places dont have side access, so the council needs to collect everything but garden waste in smaller amounts every week. We could use wheelie bins in theory by wheeling them out through what they call a 'right of way' path (every backyard has a gate residents have a right to pass through until they get access to the street; people rarely use it as it's mostly for trades access). Fortunately, there's only two of us, so we just use bags and carry them through the house.

You can also book and pay for something like 5 bulky items at a cost of £60 anytime, which is not a bad price for people who can't drive to the tip.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:48 am

Our council stopped doing the old Hard Rubbish collection years ago, but ratepayers can book up to 2 free collections with council each year for bulky stuff.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:04 pm

A small (140L) bin for general waste. I can request a 240L general waste bin. This incurs an establishment fee of $160 plus an annual charge of $235 added to my rates.

Standard issue for the recycling bin is a 240L job, but you can (I have) request a bigger, 360L bin, this is free. You can also request an additional 240L bin, this incurs an establishment fee of $123, with an on-going charge of $55 annually.

A 240L bin is issued for green waste. I can request an additional 240L green waste bin. This incurs a $105 establishment fee and an annual charge of $36 added to your rates.

Green waste and recycling are collected on alternate weeks.

We also have an annual verge collection for green waste only. We also have;
One collection of up to four white goods (fridges, washers, ovens etc.)
One collection of up to six mattresses ( Shocked )
One three cubic metre skip bin for bulky household waste, or one lounge suite collection.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Our council, Stonnington, still does hard rubbish collection twice a year.

We have 3 bins, 120L rubbish, 240L recycling & 120L green waste. You can have the larger 240L rubbish and green waste but we have found we don't need the bigger size. Have been able to put food scraps into our green waste bins for the past 12 months. We have a small tub with lid & compostable liners (supplied by council) for food scraps which I keep under the sink in the kitchen - when full just transfer to the larger green waste bin or our compost bins.

Collection is currently weekly for rubbish, alternating weeks for recycling and green waste.

The only recent change was to change our green waste bins - old ones were burgundy, new ones are black with green lid.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:17 pm

Our old rubbish bins were green with a yellow lid, the new ones are black with a red lid. 120L. Greenwaste one is 120L, recycling is 240L. We got one of those little kitchen bins for food scraps but aren't allowed to put compostable bags in the green waste bin.

And don't start me on tips. Take a 6x4 trailer full of anything including green waste to the tip here costs $100, up in Toc a 7x5 trailer stacked 5 foot high with rubbish costs $15 to dump, greenwaste is free to drop off. They mulch it on site and give the mulch away for free.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:12 am

stui magpie wrote:
Our council stopped doing the old Hard Rubbish collection years ago, but ratepayers can book up to 2 free collections with council each year for bulky stuff.

We’re allowed 3 per year (hard rubbish) and 3 green

We have 3 bins: weekly green then alternating fortnightly recycling and general waste.

Because there’s been so much subdivision in my street (two double storey mansions on the one block, common wall - no backyards) I’ve acquired 2 extra green bins and one extra gen rubbish. Used to use the extra ones a lot but we’ve been slack in the garden this year. Time to get back init.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:56 pm

4 bins, pain in the arse!

rubbish, they went to every 2nd week, but too many complained,
some paid for a bigger bin, i was going to, but then they changed back to weekly, dont need to.

glass, bottles and jars only, once a month

green waste, every 2 weeks,

recycling except glass every other 2 weeks

they gave us a little compost bin, but we were not allowed liners in the bin, they stunk, i used to tape a liner in the bin, but its too much hassle,
they gave us special paper bags to use, but they are a stupid shape and small!

we can book 1 hard waste a year, 3 metres long, 1 metre wide and high!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:38 pm

3 bins. General rubbish, recycling and green waste.

General rubbish (collected fortnightly)
Recycling (collected weekly)
Green waste (collected fortnightly)

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:38 pm

I just either toss stuff out of the car window, or dump stuff like mattresses by the side of road.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:13 am

What'sinaname wrote:
I just either toss stuff out of the car window, or dump stuff like mattresses by the side of road.

Hahaha. You haven't moved to the UK by any chance? There huge campaigns here targeting fly-tipping at the mo.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:39 am

Reminds me when I was working at Argyle diamond mine.
They had this big coloured skip bin campaign. Purple bins for rubber, yellow bins for steel, green bins for timber, blue bins for general waste... they all got tipped in the same landfill hole.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: