Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We were right in it. Pressure was off the charts, no one is infallable within that intensity.
Some moments missed, Checkers snap and WHE missed mark, both in the 2nd quarter were huge opportunities missed to both hit the scoreboard and change the momentum of Geelong's response. But pressure is pressure, and we missed those scoring opportunities to stem the flow.
Change that quarter, we change the post game narrative.

So many postives, despite the disappointment.

Macrae is a breath of fresh air.

We're still right in it, although Adams is a huge loss. Wonder if G.Wright texted Mitchell to ask if he's free for coffee next week?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Watched the replay.

After my initial disappointment, I feel really good about where we sit.

I’m expecting a strong win and response against Fremantle.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:54 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
We brought the Dogs into this finals series, and chances are they’re gonna take us out of it next week.

They lead Freo 42-2 half way through the second quarter in Perth.

You can’t make this shit up.

No, only you can Laughing

I'm not sure Collingwood is for you. Is there anything this club ever does that makes you happy? So much misery, why bother Shocked
Same goes to What'shisname

Introducing the emu cost us the game. We've been winning close ones until you resurrected your emu. Hubris!!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:54 pm

I’m looking at the game again and it feels like we were beaten by Jeremy Cameron and not the Cats. Everything he did was so impactful, his input was probably worth about 5 goals to them in a low scoring contest.
No Jeremy Cameron at the Dockers though. We’ve got this !
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:54 pm

The only criticism I have of Fly was his public comments about some of our players "behaving like losers" lying on the ground after the game. I actually thought it was a childish and idiotic comment. If he doesn't like players to do that, then he should communicate that privately to them, not publicly ridicule them. If I was a player, like JDG, who had just busted his absolute gut to win the game, I'd have fallen to the ground momentarily in both disappointment and exhaustion.

I hope that Fly apologises to the players for that public comment. I realise Fly himself was obviously emotional after us losing such an important game we were within an inch of winning, so I'll cut him some slack for some silly remarks, but I'd hope the next day he realises he'd overstepped the mark and apologises to the players.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:41 pm

I think its a psychological thing Rude. We may play the Cats again in the GF don’t want to give them the edge of believing we had no more to give.

I believe the same thing happened in the 2010 gf draw Malthouse was telling players to get up!

BARRACK HARD!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:48 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The only criticism I have of Fly was his public comments about some of our players "behaving like losers" lying on the ground after the game. I actually thought it was a childish and idiotic comment. If he doesn't like players to do that, then he should communicate that privately to them, not publicly ridicule them. If I was a player, like JDG, who had just busted his absolute gut to win the game, I'd have fallen to the ground momentarily in both disappointment and exhaustion.

I hope that Fly apologises to the players for that public comment. I realise Fly himself was obviously emotional after us losing such an important game we were within an inch of winning, so I'll cut him some slack for some silly remarks, but I'd hope the next day he realises he'd overstepped the mark and apologises to the players.

Yes and no. He’s acknowledged as he always done how this group has been performing well. Right from day one Fly has been on about being winners which is adopting the behavior of winners. For Fly that means don’t lie all over the ground (even if your stuffed and deflated). In his view and in that context he made the comment; they lost the game, they were terrific but don’t behave like losers. He always acknowledges the effort.

I like the change and like the value of symbolism in behaviour.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:24 pm

I'm with Fly on this one. He is consistent with his messaging around developing winning attitudes and behaviours. Lying on the ground after losing a game is a defeatist behaviour, not one that gets thought about too much, but it is defeatist. I like it when he says stuff like this. He is honest, thoughtful and direct with his appraisals. He is like a blacksmith. He is taking this raw piece of iron and smashing all the impurities out of it. When he is done all that will be left is the toughest, hardest impenetrable piece of armour that existed.

MONCO: Your life.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:36 pm

I just wanna add, Lipinski nice lad from #etown #panth

Also, I am very happy to be contributing to Treloars salary if it means those flogs keep losing, suck shit dickhead brother of mine!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:20 pm

Don't forget the quality of the opposition in this. They got their tactics spot on against us, defending the switch, bringing their own pressure, running the ball well from HB, going through the middle when they surged, and of course their bigger bodied players and the comp's premier forward.

Even so, and this is what will make them and everyone else nervous: we still could've won.

I think they worked their advantages against our personnel shortages perfectly, particularly in our forward line. And we're still getting better, with a load of players having come through their first final. Think what that implies in the minds of others on top of what we've done already.

Put that with a coach and coaching staff that hates losing, and works just as hard as the players to get the tactics right, and no one will be looking forward to playing us. Get the recruitment right, and another pre-season under the belts of these kids, and the machine goes to another level again.

Yes, we lost. Yes, we could've won. But that's the best team in the comp and we were a mere fraction behind them. We're a nightmare to play against and getting better, despite list gaps. From Geelong's POV all they will be seeing is a team coming ever closer. The consensus by a mile was never a game that close, which I think only heightens the fear of what we can do.

Not only is the future bright, but this season isn't over by a long shot, either.

Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Does anyone know this question?

How many Collingwood players yesterday played there first ever final?

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:01 pm

first finals for

McCreery
Ginnivan
N Daicos
Johnson
Kreuger

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:12 pm

Under twilight skies at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Collingwood led Geelong after each of the first three quarters, and were on course to clinch a victory, before poor skill execution and defensive lapses in the dying minutes allowed the Cats to inch ahead and win by 6 points in a captivating contest that had numerous lead changes throughout the game. The first term saw the Magpies jump out of the blocks early to impact the scoreboard, but did not maximise their damage with the opportunities they had up forward, which kept the Cats in the game and Collingwood's lead at quarter time was 14 points. Geelong got to work in the second term by hitting back on the scoreboard themselves and constricting Collingwood's ball movement up forward, until the Magpies found enough time and space to find Will Hoskin-Elliott, who took a mark and converted Collingwood's only goal for the second quarter after the siren, which enabled the Woods to regain the lead by 1 point at the main break. The third term saw both sides exchange majors at various stages, before the Pies closed out the quarter with a slender lead of 7 points heading into the final change. The fourth quarter became a quarter of momentum shifts, and when Jordan De Goey put Collingwood back in front with 5 minutes to play, it was highly possible that the Magpies were going to push on and close out the match with another victory, in a manner that's been achieved so often and frequently this season. However, Geelong put paid to those aspirations and dreams with the last two majors of the contest to outlast the Magpies by 6 points in a cracking final that had everything and remained thrilling until the dying moments. An opportunity missed for Collingwood to remain in Melbourne for the remainder of the 2022 Finals Series, but an opportunity is there as the vanquished seeking redemption.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from areas such as disposals by +22 (373 - 351), +33 for kicks (227 - 194), uncontested possessions were up by +44 (226 - 182), while hit-outs had an advantage of +14 (48 - 34), and clearances were won narrowly by +1 (42 - 41), with stoppage clearances also claimed by +1 (32 - 31). Tackles had a differential of +15 (85 - 70), while marks had a gap of +28 (90 - 62), with the Magpies having a buffer of +32 (81 - 49), while Marks Inside 50 were up by +4 (13 - 9), and Inside 50 were won by +3 (56 - 53). Geelong won their statistical categories from sources such as handballs by +11 (157 - 146), contested possessions were up by +21 (155 - 134), and intercept possessions had a margin of +5 (86 - 81). Geelong had an advantage of +2 from Tackles Inside 50 (12 - 10), while winning contested marks by +4 (13 - 9). Centre clearances was the only statistic (10 each) where both teams broke even.

Scott Pendlebury (34 disposals @ 65%, 318 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 19 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 2 Rebound 50s) generated the bulk of the team's ball movement, put his nose in the trough countless times to feed handpasses out to his teammates, and gave great direction and leadership as usual under extreme pressure.

Josh Daicos (29 disposals @ 83%, 519 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 24 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 13 handballs, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 8 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) was highly prolific on the wing, and looked to kick or handball it forward as often as possible. Josh will be annoyed he couldn't score when the game was all tied up before Geelong ended up with the match-winning goal which was kicked by Max Holmes. Josh will be eager to respond after that lamentable piece of execution, and does not let that play define his season. Only time will tell over which way that story goes.

Jordan De Goey (26 disposals @ 73%, 465 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 14 contested possessions, 15 kicks, 11 handballs, 4 marks, 9 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 8 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 2 goals) was tremendous in the midfield and almost got Collingwood over the line by himself. De Goey won centre clearances and contested ball which gave the team greater access to the forwards to impact marking contests and scoreboard in the same motion. De Goey was equally brilliant with his ball movement to make it as fast and direct as possible.

Steele Sidebottom (23 disposals @ 56%, 474 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) accumulated his standard quota of possessions on his wing, and basically played a territory game at all costs by moving the footy forward under any level of pressure.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 56%, 485 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 8 Inside 50s & 1 goal) won the ball often enough to be damaging, but his ball use under pressure and delivery to his team's forwards was not at a level where he could have been more effective. Crisp did have a great moment in the third term where he snapped a goal through to give the Pies back the lead at that stage of the game, then Crisp gathered the ball across the 50-metre arc and had a ping from 45 metres to kick a behind which levelled the scores.

Patrick Lipinski (18 disposals @ 83%, 256 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 goal assists, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) showed poise and composure with his ball use under pressure, and impacted scoring chains for the team in a solid outing.

Darcy Cameron (14 disposals @ 43%, 159 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 25 hit-outs, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 2 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances and 3 Rebound 50s) gave his midfield opportunities to win centre clearances and showed adequate intent to tackle opponents.

John Noble (27 disposals @ 74%, 485 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) gave great run and carry with steady ball use coming out of defence, and Noble wasn't afraid to push higher up the ground to conjure forward entries for his teammates.

Nick Daicos (25 disposals @ 80%, 411 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances & 7 Rebound 50s) adjusted extremely well to the pressure by making his decision-making and ball use as simple as possible for the tempo of finals footy.

Darcy Moore (21 disposals @ 86%, 366 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 6 handballs, 10 marks, 2 Inside 50s & 8 Rebound 50s) played a brilliant game by blanketing Tom Hawkins and took countless intercept marks to generate rebounds and positive territory forward of the play.

Brayden Maynard (19 disposals @ 68%, 346 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) played with great grit and determination in his want to compete in each contest he had fought. His ball use was a bit off, but he did not let that bother him a great deal when he produces heroic efforts each week.

Jeremy Howe (16 disposals @ 88%, 253 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles & 4 Rebound 50s) gave the team some stability behind the ball with his marking game and his ball use was sufficiently tidy.

Beau McCreery (14 disposals @ 79%, 316 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) won enough of the ball up forward to be a damaging and influential player, but could not parlay those efforts onto the scoreboard in an adequate manner. McCreery would also be advised to work on ball-handling skills during the week, so he is in better form against the Dockers next week.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (14 disposals @ 57%, 313 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements & 1 goal) accumulated possessions on the outside of the contest by taking marks or using his leg speed to break away from congestion. Not the best of games from Hoskin-Elliott, aside from his goal after the siren at half time.

Ash Johnson (9 disposals @ 78%, 219 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 6 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) was Collingwood's most dangerous forward who impacted the scoreboard immensely in the third term, but was also a bit wasteful with his blasé snap around the corner in the opening term proving to be costly.

Jamie Elliott (8 disposals @ 38%, 209 metres gained, 7 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 6 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was uncharacteristically wasteful in front of goal, but remained a contributor in scoring chains from his disposals throughout the game. Have your kicking boots back on next week, 'Billy'!

Collingwood's next game will be on September 10 against Fremantle at the MCG. This will be Collingwood's first ever final against the Dockers, and the stakes have never been higher nor more important than now between these two sides. The Magpies need to be cleaner and sharper with their gathering skills at ground level, get on top in the contested ball and generate clearances for the forwards to react first and quicker to each ball that comes in up forward. From there, it will be about converting scores into goals for a trip to Sydney to play the Swans.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:17 pm

Magpiefan3 wrote:
Does anyone know this question?

How many Collingwood players yesterday played there first ever final?

Five or Six from what I can tell: Ginni, Nick Daics, McCreery, Johnson and Kreuger. Murphy may have as I can't seem to see him in recent finals teams but maybe I've missed one. Lipinski played finals for the Dogs.

I think players like Quaynor, Josh Daics and Darcy Cameron have only played a couple at most.

Yesterday:

[37] Brayden Maynard
[30] Darcy Moore
[38] Jeremy Howe
[35] Nick Daicos
[28] Nathan Murphy ??
[22] Steele Sidebottom
[10] Scott Pendlebury
[7] Josh Daicos
[5] Jamie Elliott
[40] Ash Johnson
[31] Beau McCreery
[1] Patrick Lipinski
[41] Brody Mihocek
[33] Jack Ginnivan
[14] Darcy Cameron
[2] Jordan De Goey
[25] Jack Crisp
[3] Isaac Quaynor
[13] Taylor Adams
[32] Will Hoskin-Elliott
[46] Mason Cox

Plus Kreuger

Interesting comparison with the 2020 First Semi-final:

[25] Jack Crisp
[23] Jordan Roughead
[44] Jack Madgen
[37] Brayden Maynard
[30] Darcy Moore
[3] Isaac Quaynor
[1] Jaidyn Stephenson
[19] Levi Greenwood
[26] Josh Daicos
[32] Will Hoskin-Elliott
[41] Brody Mihocek
[24] Josh Thomas
[5] Jamie Elliott
[46] Mason Cox
[2] Jordan De Goey
[4] Brodie Grundy
[13] Taylor Adams
[10] Scott Pendlebury
[7] Adam Treloar
[9] John Noble
[14] Darcy Cameron
[16] Chris Mayne

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
DT 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I love what he said. I think he has a winning mentality and is unsentimental aka Leigh Matthews. He is all about promoting a no excuses mindset. I think the players would be totally on board as he is wiping the slate clean to go again. He is a very smart coach psychologically speaking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

Jump to: