Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best seasons without winning a premiership

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the least disappointing ending to a non-premiership-winning year you’ve experienced?
57%
 57%  [ 22 ]
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

2022 for me similar feel to that of 2002
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Best season without wining the premiership is 2022 and 2011. Our performances in the H&A seasons were amazing for different reasons but we did not flag.

Every year we fell short was disappointing, I cannot say any loss was better than others. A missed chance is a missed chance.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:58 pm

Thinking 2002 is 2022 2003 we go 1 better it’s 2023
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:06 pm

1973. Finished on top (W19; L3) and then went out in straight sets. Heartbreaking I know, as I was there Sad
2011 would be a close second.

Last edited by lihei on Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:15 pm

2002 I never expected to win, same as 2018.

Yeah I enjoyed the start in 2018 but with the banged up team we had in the GF and playing like we were trying to ice the game from 1/4 time on, it felt inevitable rather than shocking.

2011 hurt. I genuinely thought we would win that, unfortunately it seemed so did the players.

This year has been a hell of a fun ride and the most enjoyment I've had from a team and season since i can't remember (apart from 1990 and 2010) and not making the GF doesn't diminish that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:49 pm

If I were to rank all of our finals exits this century, I’d go with something like (and obviously this is all very subjective):

Category 1: Nothing but pride, feels like we surpassed people’s expectations, a lot to look back on fondly
1. 2022
2. 2007
3. 2002

Category 2: Some positives, maybe got to enjoy a finals win or two, felt optimistic about the future
4. 2008
5. 2018

Category 3: pretty disappointing, could have been worse but the season was left on a flat note
6. 2012
7. 2011
8. 2019
9. 2009
10. 2020
11. 2006
12. 2013

Category 4: The absolute worst
13. 2003

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:48 am

In 1977 Phil Carman's crazy act wasn't the only reason we lost the Grand Final.
I agree that if you're 27 points in front at three quarter time you should win.
But Carman was the main reason we lost. We won the send semi final by 2 points, and Carman kicked 4 goals. He made a difference all right!
Carman's act in striking Tuck behind the play wasn't done in retaliation. It was done near an umpire, it was forceful and for no apparent reason. It was stupid, selfish and indefensible and cost us a premiership.
First To Twenty Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 am

2011. Smashed everyone except the cats...
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:39 am

Harrysz wrote:
In 1977 Phil Carman's crazy act wasn't the only reason we lost the Grand Final.
I agree that if you're 27 points in front at three quarter time you should win.
But Carman was the main reason we lost. We won the send semi final by 2 points, and Carman kicked 4 goals. He made a difference all right!
Carman's act in striking Tuck behind the play wasn't done in retaliation. It was done near an umpire, it was forceful and for no apparent reason. It was stupid, selfish and indefensible and cost us a premiership.

It most definitely did. Twiggy Dunne at CHF was never going to replace a rampant Carman. Also psychologically Collingwood lost a lot of confidence going into the replay without Carman. It was the mother of all losses if a player the team depended on.
Also Ronnie McKewans boots, I don’t known what you meant by us believing myths about the reasons for our GF losses. Rewriting history doesn’t lessen the pain I felt. Everything mentioned were facts and I was present to witness it first hand. Happy to describe these events as a part of being a Collingwood supporter but not be a part of a denial strategy. I can only put these down to various umpiring stuff ups that were unfortunately made against us. And from what I have endured over many years, these umpire stuff ups continue to happen 🙄 😡

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:01 am

^ The 20 players on the ground who led the opposition by nearly 5 goals at 3/4 time and let them draw with just 9 goals in total were the reason for the loss, along with clueless coach who couldn't get them under control. Not a guy in the stands. Carman was as responsible for that loss as Gordon Coventry and Phonse Kyne were.
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:44 am

2002 for me...that preliminary against Port I still think is the greatest win i have watched....I have never seen a side so written off as Collingwood were in the match against Port....all the comantary was "Port by how far".

Everyone remembers Heath Shaw tackle in 2010. But Ben Johnson's run down tackle of Burgoyne running into an open goal square was...*chef's kiss*.

We then pushed one of the great sides in the modern era to within 9 points. 2002 and 2022 sides have strong parallels.

Winning Premerships is the best. But beating the odds and having other sides genuinely fear playing against you is also supremely satisfying.

Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:58 am

I was there to witness all the grand finals that Collingwood has won, drawn and lost since 1977 and every loss leaves a gut wrenching hole in the soul that will never be filled, however the greatest disappointment was the 1970 Grand Final loss to Carlton after being 44 points up at halftime. That loss still haunts me and I was only 9 years old listening to the radio at the time.
Oh the pain...

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:02 pm

derkd wrote:
2002 for me...that preliminary against Port I still think is the greatest win i have watched....I have never seen a side so written off as Collingwood were in the match against Port....all the comantary was "Port by how far".

Everyone remembers Heath Shaw tackle in 2010. But Ben Johnson's run down tackle of Burgoyne running into an open goal square was...*chef's kiss*.

We then pushed one of the great sides in the modern era to within 9 points. 2002 and 2022 sides have strong parallels.

Winning Premerships is the best. But beating the odds and having other sides genuinely fear playing against you is also supremely satisfying.

2002 considering we hadn't played finals for 8 years and took the wooden spoon 2 years prior, they were dark, dark days.
While 2022 will be indelibly etched in my memory, the pent-up angst to be finally released during that Port QF was an immense relief.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm

We had an amazingly talented team with Thommo, the Richardsons, Price, Greening, Tuddy and McKenna.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 pm

2022 gets my vote. A reset and refresh of the club in all departments that yielded great results. Thoroughly enjoyed watching us every week, even if we lost a few games along the way. The inclusion of McRae into the coaches box felt transformative for a club that had felt stagnant within the past decade before it.

2018 was good, but 2022 bettered it with the close games and the better style of play. The ending was really disappointing, but beating Richmond in a Prelim was the stuff of dreams.

2006 is underrated. Won some games with high scores and big margins and we were probably good enough to finish top 4 which we missed because of an upset loss to Essendon late in the season. The elimination final loss to the Bulldogs was a major letdown, but it was a vast improvement from 2004-05 and the start of our rise leading up to 2010.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: