Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Jezza wrote:
A good summary of what happens now in Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/sep/09/what-happens-in-australia-now-that-the-queen-has-died-and-charles-is-king

Will we get a public holiday for the National Day of Mourning?

From what I've read, it's likely we will.

Thank you, then Thursday 22nd would be perfect
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:33 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
/\ on occasion. havent you lived everywhere?

again, this was a tribute thread, take your disguised insults elsewhere

or not, whatever

I guess that’s the thing. I didn’t set out to upset you by merging the two threads, but even if I hadn’t done so, you don’t get to dictate how the discussion plays out. This isn’t a poster’s friend or loved one, but someone who was the head of state of all of us, me as much as you (one of the upsides of being born in one of the colonies; she’s our queen as much as yours). The thread is for reflecting on her legacy, and that’s going to inevitably incorporate some more critical opinions.

We certainly have no rule against insulting or taking the piss out of famous or powerful people after their death, but even so I think people have been relatively restrained and respectful here. I’ve seen much harsher sentiments elsewhere – because guess what, not everybody born under her rule was fond of the monarchy or the people who populated it. They are entitled to their say too.

again, whatever, im entitled to my opinion too, ive given it. im not going to sit by and let snide shit go. if i say exactly what i think of Meghan i can imagine how fast you will snip, shes just a fame hungry not very good actress who is also proving to be a piece of shit bullshit artist. comparing herself to Mandela! absolute trailer trash. your majesty. well she blew that, and yet she cant even claim fame for destroying the magic of the monarchy, <snip> already did that!

enjoy your wordle and politics!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:36 pm

That works.

Looking forward to the first issue of the New coins with the head of King Charles the tird on them.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pm

I'd never known anyone with a corgi before living here, but a couple walks a ripping brindle and white Cardigan Welsh Corgi past our place, so I got my first good scratch. Extremely affectionate little things.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/09/queens-elizabeth-corgis-tested-palace-loyalties

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:52 pm

David wrote:
I’ve seen much harsher sentiments elsewhere – because guess what, not everybody born under her rule was fond of the monarchy or the people who populated it. They are entitled to their say too.

To give you a pertinent example, I do a lot of cross-Irish Sea public relations work, and some of it can get very tricky where the monarchy is concerned. And you can't not say anything on such an occasion.

I am not looking forward to threading that needle today.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:50 pm

Depends what side of the border they’re on, right? Anything to the south and I expect you’ll probably need to have some good jokes at the ready!
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:08 pm

Abbie Chatfield, you low life.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:23 pm

David wrote:
I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.

Show some farking respect.

Like Abbie Chatfield who decides now is time to comment about Charles???

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm

Bravo What’sinaname xxxxx
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:59 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.

Show some farking respect.

Like Abbie Chatfield who decides now is time to comment about Charles???

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.

You're not seriously policing people on behalf of another sovereign nation that itself isn't policing its own citizens?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:59 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Abbie Chatfield, you low life.

That’s what happens when low life reality publicity whores believe their own publicity

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm

pietillidie wrote:

You're not seriously policing people on behalf of another sovereign nation that itself isn't policing its own citizens?

Don't be another Chatfield / Brandt dickhead.

Act like a grown up.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:00 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Act like a grown up.

Man who effetely appropriates another country's events as his own tells others to grow up without the slightest hint of self-awareness.

As an actual Brit, let me break to you: locals love Australia but are nauseated by clingy Australians.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:07 pm

An actual Brit?

You're an Aussie who lives there, and you're welcome to it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:18 pm

pietillidie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Act like a grown up.

Man who effetely appropriates another country's events as his own tells others to grow up without the slightest hint of self-awareness.

As an actual Brit, let me break to you: locals love Australia but are nauseated by clingy Australians.

Whatsinaname is a woman troll.

FWIW I agree with you. Feel sorry for the individuals involved but like a lot of Brits have zero time for non tax paying hereditary monarchy. I agree with the late Tony Benn about the monarchy.

“The existence of hereditary monarchy helps to prop up all the privilege and patronage that corrupts our society”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 92 of 100   

Jump to: