Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-18/queen-death-indigenous-australia-colonisation-empire/101445508

Excellent article. It was weird for the AFL to play God Save the Queen and have welcome to country at the same time (more or less)

This was well explained in this article in today’s Age:

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-moment-s-hesitation-daisy-pearce-exposes-the-afl-s-confusion-20220917-p5bivw.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:02 am

Probably the best piece of writing I’ve read about the death of QE2 calling like it is while being respectful. Who else? One of Australia’s best writers and mind: Richard Flanagan: (He also references Daisy Pierce)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/perhaps-behind-the-crown-lies-nothing-at-all-20220916-p5biop.html

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:33 am

Is it true that security at the funeral will include Buffy on a special vigil, stake in hand, just in case?

No, no no - I thought that but I'm so glad I didn't post it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:49 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Probably the best piece of writing I’ve read about the death of QE2 calling like it is while being respectful. Who else? One of Australia’s best writers and mind: Richard Flanagan: (He also references Daisy Pierce)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/perhaps-behind-the-crown-lies-nothing-at-all-20220916-p5biop.html

Great article. And shame on those like the NRL (see the 'random news stories' thread) for playing roles as enforcers for this mandatory 'respect' and performative mourning of a foreign head of state. They're the useful idiots that authoritarians and totalitarians depend upon.

For what it's worth, I absolutely support the rights of those who feel a sense of emotional connection to the Queen and royal family to pay their respects in whichever way they see fit at the moment, and to feel what they feel. Their sense of grief or sadness – if they legitimately feel it and aren't just putting it on – is valid. What's offensive is imposing that on everyone else.

I don't feel too annoyed by this stuff personally because I don't really watch TV or listen to radio nowadays so have largely missed the wall-to-wall coverage. But if I were, say, a regular ABC viewer, I would feel every bit of Flanagan's frustration. And this isn't just some republican vs monarchist thing; I think you can absolutely support the preservation of Australia as a constitutional monarchy and feel that maybe the media and our public institutions could afford to reel it in a bit.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Also, memo to Dan – absolutely nobody was asking for this:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/victorian-premiers-promise-to-name-hospital-after-queen-elizabeth-falls-flat/news-story/9c3d9c30f693fa946a739e0ba809ad8e

Kind of pathetic that Labor are still doing stuff like this in 2022, and still captured by this false premise that pro-royalist virtue signalling is in any way broadly popular. I mean, Tony Abbott pretty much killed his own prime ministership by knighting Sir Prince Phillip, and that was almost a decade ago now. I understand he's going for the swing vote, but how many votes are there in this, really?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:43 pm

Very tone deaf. At Least Maroondah is an Aboriginal name with a lot of local ownership of it. It was originally (IIRC) a community funded and built hospital.

Interesting timing of all the upgrade talk too. First Guy comes out offering money to upgrade it, now Dan is talking about serious upgrades.

The hospital seriously needs work, the main part was built in the 70's and it's been added to and bits bolted on to the point where apart from the (relatively) newish Psych Inpatient units, the rest of it really needs bulldozing and starting again.

Problem with that idea is there is no land to build a new one on unless they compulsorily acquire the road and houses on the south and east.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Most of the houses either side are already apart of the hospital anyway, but it’s long overdue and quite remarkable it occurs the day after the state government accuses the opposition of being unable to fund the upgrade 😂😂

Must admit having lived in Maroondah since it began I never knew it was an aboriginal word. Dan has really set off the natives now, maybe the Greens will finally stop being his yes men?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:03 pm

Several of the houses are but most are privately owned.

IIRC they all have caveats of some kind on their titles that the Hospital gets first right of refusal if they want to sell. They have/had an expansion plan that covered all that 10+ years ago.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:12 pm

Nice pomp and ceremony to start with but religious services at funerals are just so cold and impersonal to me unless you hear eulogies from those who loved you most.

It's a pity that protocol I guess doesn't allow for one final rendition of God save the QUEEN to be sung.

That would have been moving.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:16 pm

Back to QEII, apparently the funeral is on all the FTA stations. I wouldn't know as I'm watching Fox Footy but mum, after declaring she had no interest in watching it is now watching it.

Apparently the choir and music is beautiful.

We clearly have different tastes, that fkn organ sound coming from the back room makes me want to get the shotgun and put her TV to sleep, but I'll try to tune it out.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:44 pm

Just wait until the bagpipes start! Might have to invest in a better soundbar.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:53 pm

What??? Love the bagpipes!!! 😂😂 But that could just be the Scottish ancestry.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 am

eddiesmith wrote:
What??? Love the bagpipes!!! 😂😂 But that could just be the Scottish ancestry.

Honestly, I kind of do too (but then, my grandmother was a Jamieson, so… )

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 am

Looks like we’re not becoming a republic any time soon:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/sep/19/guardian-essential-poll-australians-divided-on-whether-king-charles-should-be-head-of-state

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm

David wrote:
Also, memo to Dan – absolutely nobody was asking for this:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/victorian-premiers-promise-to-name-hospital-after-queen-elizabeth-falls-flat/news-story/9c3d9c30f693fa946a739e0ba809ad8e

Kind of pathetic that Labor are still doing stuff like this in 2022, and still captured by this false premise that pro-royalist virtue signalling is in any way broadly popular. I mean, Tony Abbott pretty much killed his own prime ministership by knighting Sir Prince Phillip, and that was almost a decade ago now. I understand he's going for the swing vote, but how many votes are there in this, really?

It bizarre. How many swingers are monarchists?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 96 of 100   

Jump to: