Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly's presser

It would have pleased you to have won in a different manner?
Quote:
"Yeah, conditions obviously in the first half were difficult, particularly [in the] first quarter. Credit to Richmond, I thought they brought the best version of their pressure, which made it a difficult game. It's always pleasing to get the four points. You keep banking them this time of the year. They're important".

Heading into half time, what was your approach toward the players? Were you reassuring them despite not making the most of your dominance on the scoreboard?
Quote:
"We kept the opposition to 1 goal for a half, and you're not going to lose too many games when that's the case. When you don't kick accurately, then you give the opposition hope. It was just about knowing that they were going to come, but then being able to manage that and then go again. I was really pleased. After the game, I just spoke to the group about Darcy Moore. There was a spoil on the far side at a critical time and that just changed momentum and those [are the] little moments that we want to cherish and reward because they inspire others".

Despite the ugly and scrappy nature of the win, you must be happy to have found a way to grind it out?
Quote:
"Yeah, that's it. No one goes back in time and looks at the premiership team and looks at how they won every game, but you've got to qualify and that's all we're about doing right now is to try and perform every week. Opposition start to take things away from you. It's a hard game this one, it's a hard game. To get away with a win in those conditions and against quality opposition was important".

What improvement do you think you have left in your side after an impressive first three weeks? It almost feels like you've reached the finished product.
Quote:
"We don't live in a finished space. There's no cap on it. We live in a growth mindset. I like to think our best days are tomorrow. Why would we put a ceiling on ourselves or look for 'perfection'? It's a word I actually don't like. Trying to be 'perfect' means you're finished. We're far from that. We've got a long way to go. There's major parts of our game we're still tinkering with and as I said, you've got to evolve throughout the season because teams take things away from you".

What's the news with Darcy Cameron? You're now light on ruck stocks.
Quote:
"We've had a bad week in the ruck stakes. Lost Mason [Cox] for a period of time and now it looks like Darcy [Cameron] will be out for a significant period. We'll find out more but the initial diagnosis is a high grade MCL which I don't know how long that is. We'll wait and see".

Who will be the go to person to do the rucking duties?
Quote:
"I had a half joke with Jamie [Elliott] on the way out that he might be rucking next week [LAUGHS*]. I don't know. Funnily enough, we talked about this before the game yesterday around what if young Darcy [Cameron] went down and so we've got a few things up our sleeve but it's a shame. We hope it's good news and our thoughts and prayers are with him".

Would you look at someone such as Aiden Begg?
Quote:
"Well, Aiden Begg is not fit and available. He's probably a month away himself. He's got his own issues at the moment. We might have to be a little bit creative but we'll wait and see".

You must have been very pleased with Billy Frampton's performance tonight?
Quote:
"Yeah, I said this a couple of weeks ago that Billy's best is in front of him when he gets to know our system and believes in himself. It's a big stage; 85,000. Thanks to the Pies supporters that keep turning up. We love you. For Billy, he just looks like an AFL player. We knew this when we recruited him of what he could be. He's starting to fulfil that. It's early days but that's a good performance for Bill".

Seems like the new recruits are having a big impact for you early in the season?
Quote:
"Yeah, Graham Wright's in the room. He's done an enormous job in our list management and getting things sorted. We knew we had to improve our depth. We had a lot of close games last year. We knew we had to improve certain parts of our game. Still, we're not perfect here. We're a work in progress and it's pleasing already that the targets you go to and try to make your game plan better are working early in the season".

It's been reported that Jeremy Howe has an infection following his surgery?
Quote:
"Yeah, I've visited Jeremy in hospital and unfortunately he's got an infection. It's not setting back the injury itself. It's just slowing down the recovery of certain parts of you know being able to maybe run by now. The bone itself is healing and so that's a positive. If you're watching Jeremy, we miss you mate. We love you very much. I hope you can get back to the club soon".

Coming back to the ruck situation, would you contemplate Billy Frampton in the ruck?
Quote:
"Potentially. At the right time in a certain position. We'll have to wait and see. That's something that may come up".

Oscar Steene has put in an impressive pre-season. Would you look at him?
Quote:
"I'm rapt with how he's going. He's an 18 year old, might be 19 now but I'm rapt with how he's developing. I've always believed in my development hat on that we set people up to succeed and we'll have to weigh up whether that's the case with him; whether it's too early. I'm not saying that it's not impossible, but I just want to set players up to succeed and it might be a bit early for him. We'll wait and see".

You must be pleased your contested ball numbers were high again after last week?
Quote:
"Yeah, I mentioned that after the game to a pattern of behaviour that hasn't been there. It wasn't there for us last year. Our ability to outnumber the contest and step back in was evident. I thought last week was a one off. It was a home run; you know once in 20 years sort of numbers. That doesn't happen every week, so the reality is we got back to work and it was a pleasing part of our game".

What did you make of Ash Johnson's performance?
Quote:
"I said to Ash after the game that it's great reward for his last two weeks. It's amazing when players train at a level that's elite standards and you get paid back somewhere. He got rewarded by getting an opportunity and then we get to see a different mix to us. He's a different part of our forward line compared to Checkers and Dan [McStay]. He can be a real handful for the opposition. I was really pleased with the performance".

On Brody Mihocek, how close was he to missing this match?
Quote:
"Yeah, he was in doubt. Doctors were almost ruling him out. He's an incredible strong minded person that just digs in. I rewarded him after the game. I just thanked him so much for his want to want to play and to do everything mentally to be a part of the team. He got a nasty gash on his eye; stitches. It was a bit of a memory for this performance but he's critical to us".

Another big challenge next week against Brisbane. Have you thought about the upcoming match?
Quote:
"No, I promise our players to stay in the moment. There'll be plenty of time to talk about the future. We want to have deep wins. We want to celebrate our wins and then we'll get to work on Monday".

Apart from the injuries you've mentioned, is it right that there are no other injuries to report of?
Quote:
"Yep".

Jamie Elliott came off in the 2nd quarter with an ankle injury?
Quote:
"Yeah, he just had a weird feeling sensation. He said it went numb. It was kind of a knock on the high part of the knee. It might have been referring pain, but he's fine".

Is there room for Jack Ginnivan, Bobby Hill and Beau McCreery in the same side?
Quote:
"Yeah I think so. I'm looking forward to seeing him [Ginnivan] play tomorrow. He's worked hard and the kid's looking for his next step and that comes tomorrow night".

So one of Bobby or Beau wouldn't have to go out of the side for Jack to come into the team?
Quote:
"Potentially, but we'll have to wait and see. You've got to warrant the opportunity and we're looking forward to seeing how he [Jack] goes".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1296117/we-re-just-trying-to-perform-every-week-mcrae?videoId=1296117&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1680264822001

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:59 am

Matches against the tigers are never easy, neither side hardly ever belts the other one, always close and tough, dour struggle. Just take the victory and run wit it, we won, thats all that counts. Onwards and upwards now.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
rambler 

rambler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:57 am

Went to the game and just watched the replay, here are my observations.

Slippery ball in heavy conditions was always going to make it hard for our swashbuckling globetrotter party tricks to come off but i still think we did ok. Let's face it (and Tigers fans sitting with us agreed), the game should've been over in the first half with our constant forward thrusts being undone by erratic shots. De Goey was missing snags he would usually devour and we hit the post about four times.

Some notable player insights:
Frampton - Well done mate, spoiled everything and was comfortable with ball in hand and made good decisions
Murphy - Absolute beast, most underrated backman in comp
Johnson - Mark my words he will have an absolute day out in a game this season, hopefully a few more than one
Elliott - Mr Clutch when we really needed it. Made sweeter after Lynch shanked his two shots
Pendles- that goal was poetry, loved the reaction from the boys. Jordy was absolutely beside himself.

A real good team win in shitty conditions, mistakes were made and they'll learn from them.

Bring on the Bears
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:56 am

That was super frustrating to watch and we should have buried the tuggers by half time but butchered every opportunity in front of goal. However, I'll take any win against Richmong, even against an injury decimated side. I think I mozzed Cameron and commented to a mate before the game that Cameron and Cox compliment each other so well that if either went down with a long term injury we have no replacement and would come to rue Grundy trade and that's what happened. What I would give to have Jarrod Witts to replace Cameron. Wish Darcy Cameron and Jeremy Howe speedy recovery and will have to see what tricks Fly has up his sleeve to counter the big O next week. Floreat Pica!
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:57 am

DP
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:41 am

Jezza wrote:
Fly's presser

No one goes back in time and looks at the premiership team and looks at how they won every game,

Yes. Its a hard fought wet game win. Had to cope with inaccuracy and a good opposition, which we learn from. Pies did well.

daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:42 am

DP
piffdog 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:45 am

Happy for the win - bit frustrating at times that we didn’t bury them earlier but we’ll have those nights from time to time, so glad to get the points.

Have to eat humble pie on Johnson - not that I said he’s no good, but that I didn’t think he’d go in the ruck. Well he did his share of rucking and handled it well (even before Cameron went off). Good to see he has another part to his game which probably adds to his value. His hands made it look like a dry weather game.

Good spread of contributors again, and great to see some of the lesser names getting a bit of credit (Murphy, Frampton). Quaynor probably had his best game so far this year. Saw a few little errors from Nick Daicos - but that’s not a bad thing, might let the hype subside a little this week.

Frustrating that Cameron got injured, we’ll have to listen to the lazy narrative all week “oh well they should have kept Grundy” - which is crap. Curious to see how they deal with that for the next month or more. Sounded la bit like they wouldn’t throw Steene in, so maybe ruck options are going to be Johnson, Frampton and McStay??

Grateful for the win - we’re in the grind of the season now and there will be ups and downs. Starting to test the list depth a little bit - but that’s the art of list management and coaching.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:55 am

I have been sick all week and was asleep from 7-00pm and missed the match live. Watched the second half this morning- it seemed to me that the Pies held Richmond at arms-length for the last 60 minutes of the game.

A wise old magpie texted me this morning.
This was an eight goal win disguised as a 14 point win.
We should have been 6 goals up by half time- but for wayward kicking- we would have been.

I would leave the backline as is for the Lions.

Bringing in Steene is not something that I believe McRae would do- he will continue to train Steene up in the VFL team- the lad needs to put on around 10 kgs to ruck in the AFL.

I would consider playing the likes of Tom Wilson, Will Kelly or Trey Ruscoe as a second-string pinch-hitter in the ruck for five minutes a quarter. I think that Dan McStay will do the majority of the rucking in the absence of Cox and Cameron.

What a shame Kreuger is still on the sidelines- he would be an automatic in. Ditto Aiden Begg.

We are currently unbeaten and will have moved a further win ahead of the nine teams who lose this weekend in the race for the final Eight.

Floreat Pica.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:03 am

Should have won by at least 35 points
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 am

I’ll go for Johnson and Sceene Oscar to shoulder the ruck work while we await Cox and also Cameron Cox should be back in a few weeks
So I’ll go for ash and Oscar
In place of ash in the forward line I’ll go for Reef McInnes or even kruger now that he is only 2 weeks away
I have a sneaky feeling Collingwood can beat the brisbane next week as well by 20 points
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:36 am

This was pretty much a repeat of the GWS game last year dominated early but wasted chances but in the end despite the scoreboard being relatively close we never looked like losing the game.

Great to see pies fans finding some voice as we were waiting to get out of a packed Shane Warne stand last night, straight out of the EPL song book.

“What do we think of Richmond?”
Crowd: “Shit”
“What do we think of Shit?”
Crowd: “Richmond”
“Thank you”
Crowd: “You’re Welcome”

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:54 am

rambler wrote:
Went to the game and just watched the replay, here are my observations.

Slippery ball in heavy conditions was always going to make it hard for our swashbuckling globetrotter party tricks to come off but i still think we did ok. Let's face it (and Tigers fans sitting with us agreed), the game should've been over in the first half with our constant forward thrusts being undone by erratic shots. De Goey was missing snags he would usually devour and we hit the post about four times.

Some notable player insights:
Frampton - Well done mate, spoiled everything and was comfortable with ball in hand and made good decisions
Murphy - Absolute beast, most underrated backman in comp
Johnson - Mark my words he will have an absolute day out in a game this season, hopefully a few more than one
Elliott - Mr Clutch when we really needed it. Made sweeter after Lynch shanked his two shots
Pendles- that goal was poetry, loved the reaction from the boys. Jordy was absolutely beside himself.

A real good team win in shitty conditions, mistakes were made and they'll learn from them.

Bring on the Bears

Agree with all of that,

Feel better WL XX

And thanks Jezza, great read xx

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:18 am

Good summary here
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/31/collingwood-stay-undefeated-in-messy-clash-at-the-mcg/

Big twist in the story of Collingwood for this year. Our disappearing ruck stocks.
I never thought this would happen so complete and so early in the year.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:29 am

Jamie’s body took a beating during the game.

- Running full pelt for a contest falls onto the goal post with his side / back
- Richmond player landing on his ankle / leg ion a marking contest
- Kicked his foot into a Richmond player after having his kick smothered

Great heart to finish the game and kick a key goal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: