Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to see McInnes in the forward with McStay and Johnson rucking. Macrae for H-E to improve clearances.
Three scenarios come to mind.
1. Sorry to bring up bad memories, but there was a fairly important game in 2019 that we lost despite winning hit-outs 78 to 16. We lost clearances 35 to 54, the game by four points and the chance to play in the GF.
2. In the recent Geelong game (if I’m remembering correctly) on one occasion Cameron rucked unopposed in our defensive 50. He instinctively grabbed it, but Dangerfield smartly positioned nearby and immediately tackled him. The commentator mused whether that might be a good ploy to use at times, ie, don’t nominate a ruck and then hit their ruck hard if he grabs it. Also means an extra at the fall of the ball if he does tap it.
3. The third was from Friday when their ruck nominated from a distance away (I doubt it was pre-planned)which allowed a clear run and jump. I think Mihocek was in there for us and got hit hard.
So maybe we play around and look on these next four or so weeks (until Cox is back) as a rucking opportunity. Traditionally, around the ground, rucks physically engage immediately where the ball up takes place. If Johnson nominates from 5 m away he gets a free if either their ruck or another player impedes his run up (please correct me if this is incorrect). With a run up his leap would likely square the encounter. Maybe we occasionally don’t nominate and look to tackle their ruck if he grabs it or shark it if he hits it.
As our 2019 prelim showed, winning the hit-outs doesn’t of itself win games.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:25 pm

People may have forgotten McStay rucked late last season for the Lions and played quite well
He’s more than capable of rucking giving us at a minimum a contest
Johnson McInnes Carmichael can all fill in forward and gives us more mobility up forward
Johnson can pinch hit in the ruck for 5/10 a term and maybe when ball goes back in defence Moore or Frampton can ruck a little if needed
I wouldn’t be changing our defensive structure at all leave it be and look to adjust the centre with bigger bodies to half contests
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:35 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
I assume we would be looking closely at all recently retired / delisted afl ruckmen for the mid season draft. e.g paddy ryder. Can’t afford to be in a grand final without a ruckman

CURRENTLY we aren’t in a position to go to the M S R D for a solution because our list is full. The only way we can participate in the mid season draft is if we put a player on the L T I list. However, this also means the L T I player would be unable to play for the rest of the entire 2023 season ( because bringing him back would be the equal of a full list + one extra player )
We just have to ride it out, especially since all of Cameron, Cox and Begg are expected to be back within 8 weeks. The M S R D isn’t held until June 1st anyway and we may have all three ruckmen back available by then.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:16 pm

Dean is on that list but his spot may have been filled by Steene in March Supp spot
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:55 pm

^^^

My memory ( and that’s all it is ) has it that one ( or both ) of Steene and Markov were added onto the list very shortly after Dean was placed on the L T I list. I do know we started the season with the maximum numbers required to fill a clubs list.
It would need for both Steene and Markov to have been nominated BEFORE Dean was added to the L T I list if we are to be CURRENTLY in a position to participate in the M S R D.
Happy to be corrected if someone knows the exact timeline
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:35 pm

I thought Markov was a ruck height but he’s 188 so not a ruck option at all
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:59 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I thought Markov was a ruck height but he’s 188 so not a ruck option at all

Bit of confusion with Mirkov, the ruckmen at the Blues.

Oleg Markov is the half back who formerly played for Tigers and Suns

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:07 pm

ok, who had St Kilda top of the ladder in round 3?
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:47 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
People may have forgotten McStay rucked late last season for the Lions and played quite well
Johnson McInnes Carmichael can all fill in forward and gives us more mobility up forward
Johnson can pinch hit in the ruck for 5/10 a term and maybe when ball goes back in defence Moore or Frampton can ruck a little if needed
I wouldn’t be changing our defensive structure at all leave it be and look to adjust the centre with bigger bodies to half contests

Yes agree with the above, most likely scenario to combat Lions rucks with minimal disruption to back line and forward line. we have the opportunity to be creative in the forward line going small. need to negate Harris Andrews though. But how much of our forward line set up are we going to lose by moving McStay for a long chunk of game time

Fly is going to be wondering what to do if we lose another ruckmen though. What happens if one of McStay or Johnson go down? What's the next option. What happens if they both go down? Wonder if they will train Frampton and any other remotely tall utility during the week (eg Carmichael or McInnes).

After the VFL I don't think they will select Steene but then they chose Aiden Begg last year when we were short and he was similarly under prepared. But this time we've lost both Cameron and Cox so maybe they think McStay will be lead ruck with Johnson and Steene in support giving us a ruck and tall marking option up front. Fly still likes the chaos ball and encourages the team to kick long to a contest. Steene has shown he can take a good mark overhead

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:55 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

I agree qm67. Basically, we should spread the ruck load amongst several players, with McStay doing the bulk of it. As others have reminded us, losing the taps doesn't have to lead to us losing clearances. I'd bring in Reef as he is in good form and is as tall as Checkers. Carmichael should be the injury sub.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:05 pm

Huge game for McStay against his old side on Thursday
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:24 pm

Huge game for all the players because we have to keep winning to stay ahead of a fast approaching pack. Important to keep the high percentage too. However it will be yet another tough encounter, especially up there.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:41 pm

Ruck options for this week as I see them.

Moore, No. You don't play your Rolls Royce CHB in the ruck.
Frampton, No. Shit ruck anyway, but played a good game down back, needs continuity in the backline.

Johnson and McStay, yes, but. We could bring in Reef for Cameron and rotate Ash and Dan through the ruck, with Reef there we would always have 2 tall forwards, sort of. That's the most likely option, but then there's Steen.

Kid is raw but can ruck. I'd consider him better equipped than Begg was when we threw him in for a few matches last year, whether that experience helped Begg or set him back in Fly's view will no doubt inform his thinking on this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Steene get a chance this Thursday. Start mcStay in the ruck and Steene forward, mix it around, get Ash into centre bounces where he can use his leap, mix the 3 of them through there. If you can't win the ruck, at least halve it so the ball goes to dispute and trust our mids.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:03 pm

If you reckon he can take half the load that's what I'd be inclined to do. Despite all the talk about a small forward line, McStay is crucial for structure and helping Checkers. As we saw again this week, few players put in physically like Checkers, and he needs that physical support, not to mention the chance of such a physical player like Checkers copping injuries is high.

Checkers and Moore are our structural anchors and need to be doubly protected until we get or develop beasts of a CHB and a CHF.

Small forward lines work until they don't, as with leading forward lines. You can always go small during a game, but you can't expect a big to play the forward line well without rhythm, and McStay needs rhythm and more time to sync with Checkers, so ideally you don't want him taking more than a quarter of the ruck load, especially this early on.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:12 pm

[quote="Pies2016"]
gurugeoff wrote:
I assume we would be looking closely at all recently retired / delisted afl ruckmen for the mid season draft. e.g paddy ryder. Can’t afford to be in a grand final without a ruckman

CURRENTLY we aren’t in a position to go to the M S R D for a solution because our list is full. The only way we can participate in the mid season draft is if we put a player on the L T I list. However, this also means the L T I player would be unable to play for the rest of the entire 2023 season ( because bringing him back would be the equal of a full list + one extra player )
We just have to ride it out, especially since all of Cameron, Cox and Begg are expected to be back within 8 weeks. The M S R D isn’t held until June 1st anyway and we may have all three ruckmen back available by then.[/quote

Edit: asked about Dean but see others answered already

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: