Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex wrote:
I’d like to see McInnes in the forward with McStay and Johnson rucking. Macrae for H-E to improve clearances.
Three scenarios come to mind.
1. Sorry to bring up bad memories, but there was a fairly important game in 2019 that we lost despite winning hit-outs 78 to 16. We lost clearances 35 to 54, the game by four points and the chance to play in the GF.
2. In the recent Geelong game (if I’m remembering correctly) on one occasion Cameron rucked unopposed in our defensive 50. He instinctively grabbed it, but Dangerfield smartly positioned nearby and immediately tackled him. The commentator mused whether that might be a good ploy to use at times, ie, don’t nominate a ruck and then hit their ruck hard if he grabs it. Also means an extra at the fall of the ball if he does tap it.
3. The third was from Friday when their ruck nominated from a distance away (I doubt it was pre-planned)which allowed a clear run and jump. I think Mihocek was in there for us and got hit hard.
So maybe we play around and look on these next four or so weeks (until Cox is back) as a rucking opportunity. Traditionally, around the ground, rucks physically engage immediately where the ball up takes place. If Johnson nominates from 5 m away he gets a free if either their ruck or another player impedes his run up (please correct me if this is incorrect). With a run up his leap would likely square the encounter. Maybe we occasionally don’t nominate and look to tackle their ruck if he grabs it or shark it if he hits it.
As our 2019 prelim showed, winning the hit-outs doesn’t of itself win games.

I think that we will indeed use a few of these tactics during the game. Richmond won a flag without a real ruckman. We might sometimes even choose to sacrifice the ruck contest and plan instead to attack the ruckman instantly if he grabs the ball, at the same time configuring our mids in anticipation of an oppositon tap out. We might even conduct some centre bounces in this manner, like for example using WHE in the ruck contest who, due to his leap, or Beau Mcreery because of his physical strength, might be able to make a contest. In the meantime, our mids are set up understanding that we won't get the tap. I think we will definitely select either McInnes or Wilson as another tall forward so that we can retain the structure of our forward line on the occasions when for example McStay takes a centre bounce. I would definitely not be asking Checkers to do any rucking, and Frampton should not be asked to do much at all, as he needs to keep focussed on learning our defensive system. I also read on BF about the possiblity of using WHE to run with McIerney around the field, and to challenge marking contests with his leap. He would be able to keep up with McIerney easily, and perhaps could hinder him around the ground.
I think we will use a combination of: McStay in the ruck, Johnson in the ruck at times, sacrificing the ruck contest, maybe Frampton taking a limited number of contests in D50. Maybe we are also training McInnes and Wilson to take a few ruck contests over the next few weeks.
This will test the ingenuity of our coaches, because we know that Fagan et al will try to develop tactics to exploit their domination in the ruck, so we have to try to anticipate what these tactics will be, as well as create our own. As Fly said in the presser, we will need to utilise all our creativity to find a solution. Maybe we should get on to GPT Chat.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:02 pm

I know i did not have them in the votes but i thought Maynard and Pendles had a great game
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:34 pm

Any MRO or reports or fines came out of the game all I know is in the forth quarter there was that scuffle
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:08 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:
Thanks Jezza. Saw it last night and thought I'd wait til you posted so I could make sense of some of the answers as I couldn't hear the questions.

What is it, 200+ games a year? So 400+ pressers? And we still can't have a single press microphone moved around so we can hear the questions. Same goes for midweek interviews.

Thanks.

I agree, it's frustrating to not hear the questions properly. Sometimes I have to re-listen to the question several times to get the crux of what's being asked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: