Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Eagles. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our worst performed players yesterday were Cox, Elliott, McCreery, Johnson and Murphy.
Of that lot possibly one of Elliott and Johnson will miss. Murphy and Cox remain for structure. WHE comes in for Steele.
Reserves were well beaten yesterday - Bianco, Allan and Ruscoe were ok from what I saw. Begg tried hard up forward and kicked 2.
McInnes I didn't see?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Macrae for Sidey. It's almost like for like and he has to be given a chance.

They're both small and slow - I'm not sure the comparison goes much beyond that. One is an all-time great and the other plays some reasonably average VFL football. Nothing I see about Macrae's game demands a senior game. Yesterday, he had just 19 disposals as the 'pies were on the receiving end of a thrashing. There's still time - this is only his 3rd season on the list - but not much time. Bianco has been preferred on the wing, in the past - probably because his ball use is very good, although he's also small and slow. He was probably the best Collingwood player in the VFL yesterday, so he might be a chance. There is also a possibility of them using another solid footballer, say Ruscoe, by moving Noble up to the wing and putting Ruscoe in Noble's usual defensive spot.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:54 pm

Not knowing the form of the VFL players other than what’s reported here
Could we move Markov onto the wing and bring in Ruscoe into defence ?
Markov has the speed to get back and help or run as a link up player going forward
Yes his foot skills are up and down but his speed is electric and would add another dimension to the team and west coast are notable slow on the outside
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:13 pm

Surely W H E ( Mr Fixit ) comes in on the wing or high half forward to help out between the arcs. I noticed Hill spent time in the wing in the last quarter, although I imagine it was more to keep him involved rather than any medium term replacement.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:22 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Macrae for Sidey. It's almost like for like and he has to be given a chance.

I don’t think it’s like for like. One an outside player the other inside. Sidey’s got the tank of an 18 wheeler, not sure Macrae has that quality.

Not disputing Macrae deserves his chance. Would think a better swap would be for Adams or Mitchell. Possible for the former, not happening for the latter.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:23 pm

mattdally wrote:
Our worst performed players yesterday were Cox, Elliott, McCreery, Johnson and Murphy.
Of that lot possibly one of Elliott and Johnson will miss. Murphy and Cox remain for structure. WHE comes in for Steele.
Reserves were well beaten yesterday - Bianco, Allan and Ruscoe were ok from what I saw. Begg tried hard up forward and kicked 2.
McInnes I didn't see?

What did Murph do that was so wrong? I gave him a point in the medal tho I do have a serious man crush on him tbh

mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:09 pm

I thought he let Larkey get away from him at times. His spot is not in jeopardy for this week's game, but I'd like to see a bit more lock down from him 1on1.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
West Coast are weaker than North Melbourne, so no excuse not to win this by in excess of 50+ points.

Won't get a better opportunity for a % booster.

WCE are stronger than they were a few rounds ago with players coming back from injury and with a game under some of the experienced players who have returned.

This might not be the % booster as it was for other teams. I don’t doubt we will beat WCE but we might need to temper our expectations. Having said that I’d love and hope for a % booster to happen.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:24 pm

I like Kelly on a wing but who knows? Home debut for Ed Allen?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:45 pm

Bianco, Ruscoe & Ed best in the loss to North.

No opening training session in Perth. Grandson very disappointed.

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Skids wrote:
the fuzz wrote:
^ Why no more full voice skids? Hope you're Ok

Thank you fuzz.

Long story (it's in the VPT) short. Tracheal cancer operation next week and I'm losing one of my vocal chords. Quite a strange feeling as I have a pretty loud/deep voice. Anyway, it's not gunna kill me, so all good Smile

Sorry to hear!
Glad you'll be OK though. I'll make sure I cheer extra loud for you next time I'm at the footy.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:25 pm

Apparently Bianco was best afield in the VFL game, with 35 (or thereabouts) disposals. He is certainly a like for like replacement for Sidey, and is experienced playing on the wing. I suspect that if he can't break into our senior side soon, his days with us will be numbered.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:18 pm

It's strange to think Bianco hasn't played a senior match this year. He was good in the run home last year and has always been a reliable ball user. Unlike some others in the VFL, he seems fully AFL-ready.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:05 pm

mattdally wrote:
McInnes I didn't see?

McInnes hurt his ankle in the first quarter in a marking contest and hobbled off. He did start to look better as he left the ground, but he didn’t reappear. The ground had a ton of water on it and it was not a game for marking. I thought Bianco was our best in the conditions. Begg is starting to find touch after missing most of the year. McCrae did well. Carmichael was quieter than
usual and had the tough job of containing Cunnington who is a really hard match up. Kreuger contested hard and is very diligent but it was crappy conditions. Harrison has class, a great burst of speed and promise. I hope he gets a game this week.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:17 pm

With Sidebottom out and a game against the bottom placed Eagles to come it does present an opportunity to give a couple of our younger players an opportunity.

While it's not a deal breaker our VFL team hasn't been winning, our most recent loss to the Kangaroos was particularly poor and bad timing leading in to this week.

You would expect WHE will simply take the position of Sidebottom within the 22 leaving one opening but whether the selectors decide to make changes beyond that looks unlikely if we take McRae strictly at his word.

So who could come in?

McInnes - Was injured in the first quarter of last weeks VFL game and while we wait to learn how serious it is, it will most likely rule him out of contention. If he's declared fit and we intend on using a combination of half forwards to fill in for Sidebottom he could yet be considered for more forward line depth.

Bianco - Had more disposals than any other Magpie against the Kangaroos so continues to work hard but I question where he fits in win the McRae game plan at AFL level with his lack of leg speed or obvious weapon to differentiate him from his peers. Is a solid well rounded player but what is the elite trait in his game that can see him overcome his weaknesses and transition to senior level regularly?

Macrae - Lower numbers than we've come to expect from him last week but has been developing well over the last 12 months and is one of our most consistent midfield performers. Like Bianco is one paced and a little vanilla but has a defined role within the team as that midfield extractor. His brother gives us hope he still has improvement left in him. If all of De Goey, Mitchell and Adams are named to play against the Eagles he'll likely be overlooked again.

Carmichael - Production wise a quieter game this week but still provided 10 tackles, 6 clearances and 3 scoring shots within his 15 touches. He's still rough around the edges and his kicking in tight needs to get cleaner but he's a thumping kick when given space, strong in the contest and can provide run on the outside. He has plenty to work with. Despite his starring performance against GWS reserves surprisingly wasn't named as an emergency last week so he mightn't be as close to senior selection as some hope. Is his scrappy kicking out of congestion holding him back in the eyes of the coach?

Harrison - His time at Collingwood so far has regularly been interrupted by hamstring injuries but against GWS he played his best game to date and provided a glimpse of why there was a lot of positivity surrounding him during his 21/22 preseason. Didn't find a lot of ball against the Kangaroos but had a nice moment late if I recall correctly where he ran down the opposition, caused a turnover and subsequent goal. It was only a taste but he clearly has traits that McRae wants in his small forwards and it's why (to the surprise of many fans) he's been elevated arguably ahead of time into the squad of 26. If Elliott is sore and could benefit from a rest then who knows he could be the one to replace him.

Allan - I was initially worried Allan was more athlete than footballer when drafted but given his pedigree that was probably always a non issue. His early season form was still a welcomed surprise however, he looked more advanced than I was expecting, he was clean and displayed composure, his kicks could be delivered with real penetration and we saw moments of his vaunted speed. Then he got COVID. Thankfully he showed signs against the Kangaroos he might be coming out the other side of his bout of illness and his 22 disposals was close to double what he produced against GWS. The other thing that stands out with Allan is just his size and you have to keep reminding yourself he's not filling a KP role within our team. It can't be ignored that we'll be playing in Perth this weekend, at this stage it's forecast to be dry which suits a young body with outside running power (more than a contested slog in the wet) and up against a depleted Eagles team he'll probably never get a better opportunity to debut at home in front of family.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: