Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Dees. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 9.8.62
Melbourne 8.18.66

Goals: Lipinski 2, Nick, Checkers, McCreery, Hill, Cox, Crisp, Harrison

Disposals: Mitch 30, Crisp 28, Adams, Nick 27, Pendles 26, Maynard 25, H-E, Noblet 20, Cameron, Josh 17, IQ 16, Lipinski 15, Moore 13, McCreery 11, Murph 12

Tackles: Crisp 11, Mitch 10, Adams 8, Nick 6.

D/E: Moore 92.3%, Nick 81.5

AFs: Crisp 131, Mitch 121, Maynard 109, Nick 101, Cameron 96, Adams 100, Pendles 92,

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:00 am

Maybe I'm being harsh and I understand people being frustrated, but I was disappointed to see some of our fans leave early today.

It just seems a little mind-blowing to me that fans would leave early for a team that's renowned for late comebacks.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:00 am

Jezza wrote:

Melbourne's pressure was the best I've seen from any opposition this year. We never looked comfortable disposing of the ball and we were fumbling it around too often. Melbourne's ability to cut off our run and carry game through the middle also rattled our .

Spot on Jezza. They simply out pressured our pressure. Ultimately whoever applies the pressure longer, usually wins the game. When you add in that we also managed to fumble uncontested ball, we were always going to be up against it.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:01 am

Donny wrote:
Was really happy with Crisp's game. Wasn't surprised to see he topped the tackle count. Mitchell was right there, too.

Agree.

Crisp, Mitchell and Adams were all very good for us. The absence of JDG hurt us though.

Big_Glenn_Sandford 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:03 am

Harrison appears to be a carbon copy of Callum Brown..Not convinced..

Coxy with a bit of fuel for the fire come finals time.
Anyone have any idea what happened with Petracca after the game?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:37 am

Jezza wrote:
Maybe I'm being harsh and I understand people being frustrated, but I was disappointed to see some of our fans leave early today.

It just seems a little mind-blowing to me that fans would leave early for a team that's renowned for late comebacks.

yep pretty shit effort indeed

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:20 am

In the inaugural King's Birthday clash at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne outlasted Collingwood to hang on by 4 points. The Magpies got out of the blocks in the first 15 minutes with the first three goals, but gradually lost control of momentum and the remainder of the contest. Inexplicable ball use, inability to bring the ball down to ground in marking contests, and inability to outnumber the opposition at ground level played into the hands of the Demons, despite having significant difficulties converting goals, which allowed the Woods back in to make a game of it, with only an inadequate amount of time enabling the Dees to shut the game down and take home the points.

Collingwood won their statistical categories through disposals by +12 (365 - 353), +22 for handballs (160 - 138), uncontested possessions had a margin of +21 (235 - 214), while centre clearances were up by +3 (10 - 7), and tackles were won by +8 (73 - 65). Melbourne won their key statistical indicators from sources such as kicks by +10 (215 - 205), contested possessions had an advantage of +19 (139 - 120), hit-outs were won by +21 (46 - 25), clearances had a margin of +4 (33 - 29), and +7 for stoppage clearances (26 - 19). The Demons were -9 from turnovers (71 - 80), where they made the least amount of errors and won intercept possessions by +9 (80 - 71) , which translated into them winning the intercept marks count by +9 (80 - 71), while gaining the Tackles Inside 50 stat by +13 (17 - 4). Marks had a differential of +5 (99 - 94), uncontested marks were won by +3 (88 - 85), contested marks were gained by +2 (11 - 9), +8 for Marks Inside 50 (15 - 7), and Inside 50s were won by +10 (59 - 49).

Tom Mitchell (30 disposals @ 80%, 281 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 19 handballs, 3 marks, 10 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) got his hands dirty by winning the contested ball regularly and tackled with endeavour and effort.

Jack Crisp (28 disposals @ 71%, 481 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 15 handballs, 5 marks, 11 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 1 goal) looked threatening whenever he ran forward to take a mark or receive a handpass. His ball use going inside 50 did not favour Collingwood's forwards very often, as Crisp's long bombs were picked off by Melbourne defenders. Crisp did tackle well, and roved smartly to snap an excellent goal through heavy traffic in the opening term.

Taylor Adams (27 disposals @ 67%, 324 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks, 8 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) competed hard and strongly in each contest, with contested possessions and tackling allowing his team to score or neutralise opposing threats.

Scott Pendlebury (26 disposals @ 69%, 359 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) had an uncharacteristic game filled with skill errors and poor execution under pressure. Pendlebury was one of the only few players that won clearances for his team, and worked hard on both sides of the ball to distribute territory from defence or across half forward, which was where the ball movement continually broke down.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (19 disposals @ 58%, 332 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 4 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) was serviceable on the wing without delivering impressive results. Hoskin-Elliott will feel as though he let the team down with his behind during the last quarter, although he wasn't alone amongst his mates.

Darcy Cameron (17 disposals @ 76%, 171 metres gained, 13 hit-outs, 7 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 10 handballs, 8 marks, 3 contested marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Rebound 50s) lowered his colours against Gawn and Grundy, despite winning his fair share of hit-outs, marks and possessions around the ground. Cameron did not look like taking marks across half-back from kick-ins at any stage and did not bring the ball down to ground for Collingwood's runners to commence transition plays into forward entries and opportunities for Collingwood's forwards to score goals.

Josh Daicos (17 disposals @ 65%, 326 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) was lively early, before drifting out of the game as it progressed. Lachie Hunter overshadowed Josh Daicos as the most influential winger on the day.

Nick Daicos (27 disposals @ 82%, 315 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 6 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had his impact and influence behind the ball nullified to the point where he started forward in the last quarter to turn the game back in his team's favour, which Nick was able to do by snapping a goal that set the game up for a grandstand finish.

Brayden Maynard (25 disposals @ 76%, 569 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 8 handballs, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) offered stability with intercept marking, and looked to kick long to contests, which was to the team's detriment as many kicks weren't retained in Collingwood's front half to take marks or kick goals.

John Noble (20 disposals @ 75%, 455 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) found it extremely challenging to maintain possession under fierce pressure, but he managed well under the circumstances, apart from running too far to concede a shot at goal during the final term, which was a behind.

Isaac Quaynor (16 disposals @ 75%, 373 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 8 marks, 5 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) was superb in a defence that was under siege by holding his marks, laying important tackles, and distributed his disposals out of defence effectively.

Darcy Moore (13 disposals @ 92%, 158 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 8 marks, 3 contested marks & 5 Rebound 50s) attacked each marking contest with effort and intent to keep his team alive when the Demons were dominating, despite Bayley Fritsch booting three goals on him.

Nathan Murphy (12 disposals @ 75%, 193 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 6 marks, 2 tackles & 2 score involvements) continued to take marks without fear, and kicked within his limitations to a free teammate most of the time.

Billy Frampton (10 disposals @ 80%, 114 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) contributed with his ability to mark frequently behind the ball and dispose of the ball within his repertoire, much like Nathan Murphy.

Patrick Lipinski (15 disposals @ 73%, 243 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) had an impact in his first game of the 2023 season to be Collingwood's most damaging forward when many around him were struggling.

Harvey Harrison (12 disposals @ 100%, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 3 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) had a lively start, like several of his teammates, before supply meant he was not able to impact the scoreboard any further after quarter time.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 80%, 273 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 2 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) struggled with ball use going forward, but kept up the tackling work and soccered through a vital goal during the third term on the goal line.

Bobby Hill (9 disposals @ 78%, 175 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) started slowly, before contributing in moments during the remaining three quarters.

Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 88%, 194 metres gained, 12 hit-outs, 3 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) competed to the best of his ability in the ruck, while impacting the scoreboard where he kicked a goal against the run of play.

Brody Mihocek (8 disposals @ 38%, 290 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was particularly wasteful in front of goal after a string of accurate performances this season. Missed a golden opportunity late in the game, before slotting his only goal late in the same quarter which gave the team a pulse, instead of consolation.

Collingwood's next game will be against Adelaide on June 25 at the MCG. The Magpies will look at improving their team at selection heading into this game, while embarking on a quest to return to their best after the bye. Adelaide will have their tail up after Taylor Walker kicked 10 goals against West Coast during the weekend. The primary focus for the Woods is to win the contested ball and improve their foot skills to allow the forwards to take marks and convert goals. Do those two aspects well for longer and it will go a long way to defeating the Crows.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:37 am

Fly's presser

It felt like you struggled to get the game on your terms after the first 15 minutes, did you feel the same?
Quote:
"I thought the whole game was a bit of a struggle for us. Coming into the game, they're such a good defensive team. You're not going to get everything on your terms. For parts of it, it was a struggle for both teams I would have thought. It was hard to score. Two good defensive teams set up good structure, and so then it becomes a bit of a territory battle. They kept putting in a bit of the territory and it made it hard for us to get it out of the D50".

Did you think you might win it right at the end?
Quote:
"To be honest, I thought we would have stole that one. We weren't the better team. I thought they were much better in the key moments and key contests on the day. Maybe another couple of minutes, you never know. I thought we weren't brave enough early in the last quarter. I wanted to be a bit more like we saw in the last 5 minutes. I'd rather lose by 10 goals. I really would then sort of just die wondering. That's always been a mantra. Let's not sit and wait and ask questions. I just thought we were a bit too safe at times, but credit to the opposition, their contest and their defensive system is really strong".

The distribution going inside 50 was lacking.
Quote:
"There's two parts to it I think. Their pressure and then handling those moments of what they're doing. They're coming at us pretty fast and then not connecting. We've been the best inside 50 [team] the last four weeks, in terms of connection. Today we were a bit off".

Can you talk through reports of illness going through the club leading up to the game and the impact it had on your team?
Quote:
"Zero".

Did it impact the lack of ability to run out the game?
Quote:
"Well, I'll have a look at the GPS and I'll compare individuals to what they've done. I'm really proud of guys like Beau McCreery. He was on crutches 6-7 days ago. We'd come out of Perth and I thought he's no chance and it's moments like this to put yourself out there. He was right to the line and then to go out there and do your job. He was probably just a bit down on what he can normally do, but we may need that come late in the year if we get fortunate enough to qualify. Guys need to get up, they need to get up and perform so I was really proud of him and a couple of others that potentially may not have played".

Was Jack Ginnivan being 'managed'?
Quote:
"Yeah, there was misreporting. I apologise for that. We put 'illness' and no we're just looking after [him]. He's had a hell of a lot of load. He's been chasing his tail a little bit to catch up and we just wanted to look after him".

How do you think you guys and the fans handled the Brodie Grundy match up?
Quote:
"I said before the game to the boys to put a photo of him up. I said we all really care for Brodie. There's many in the room [who] have got close relationships with him. He had a great contribution to Collingwood Football Club. You make tough decisions list management wise to what you think is best for the future. We don't want anything wrong by Brodie. We want him to play well and perform, but just not against us"

Darcy Moore hurt his ankle? Is he okay?
Quote:
"Yeah. Early reports it's just a little sprain. It's swollen up a little bit. I think we've got 13 days until our next game, so I'm sure he'll be alright".

What did it mean to you the whole occasion around Neale Daniher and the guard of honour?
Quote:
"It's brilliant isn't it. I must admit I got a bit emotional watching it unfold, just the inspiration he's been to so many. They call it the 'beast', and unfortunately for many that get that disease, there's no good outcome. He's been such an incredible role model for living in the moment. Ticking off bucket lists and positivity like, oh my god, for a guy that's going through what he has and fight. He's 9 years into this curse of a disease and he's been amazing. It was an emotional moment. I'm sure that anyone that was here would have cherished it".

How do you walk away from this game? Was this a loss that was coming, or do you look at the contest itself?
Quote:
"No, we never look at losses that are coming. Walk away with optimism. I think our best is in front of us. I look at things that we did today that we didn't execute anywhere near what we have been doing. I thought their pressure was really good to force us into errors, and we need to rise [above] it. When your offence is good, and they have really good defence, then you have to go to another level and I thought their defence was really strong and we need to find another level. Against the best teams, you're not always going to get what you want. I'm an optimistic guy. I see the best in front of us. I don't think we play them again in the home and away [season], I'm not sure. I think we'll learn a lot of good lessons and we just keep continuing to get better".

How do you handle the bye? A few days off?
Quote:
"Yeah, we'll have some time off. I think we've got 5 or 6 days off and then get back to work Monday week. This is a tough competition. There's no easy games. Boys get battered and bruised weekly and get up. That's all it is, an opportunity to take a breath and reset ourselves. I think if you said we were 11-1 at the midway point of the year, most of us would have taken that. Now it's just about setting ourselves up for what comes in the second half [of the year]".

Your forwards struggled. How much of that was the way the ball came in and how much of it was the contest?
Quote:
"I think it's hard to put a number on it, but I think their defence was really strong. I think May and Lever are really hard to play against. We didn't move the ball like we'd want to move it. At times we were forced to kick to more contests, particularly when you're struck in their forward 50. You have to take more contest and we just couldn't equalise those. I don't want to point fingers at anyone or anything yet until I watch it back. We're going to have to get better at connecting inside 50 against really good opposition".

Is McStay available for the Adelaide match after the bye?
Quote:
"Yeah, it looks like it. I said he was available this week. Unfortunately, he jarred his finger at training. He was all set to play and it was the same finger he had operated. He just jarred it up a bit and we just thought it'd be best to get him right post bye, so he'll be available. I think Jamie [Elliott] a timeline similar, and Jeremy Howe might be pushing himself to get an opportunity too. We'll see how that unfolds".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2did2UekI6g

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:10 am

IN Fly we trust.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Larabee 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:24 am

Ugly game but Melbourne far and away the better team. Pies looked a bit out of gas and that is to be expected. Can’t take Fly’s manic, high risk footy to the highest level every game. I think fatigue has set in. A bye is gold and then it’s time to reset, get some stars back and start the run in to September. It’s all about timing for a coach.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:42 am

The narrow loss was was a good reminder to our team, not to get complacent. We should be much better.

Mitchell was great, but otherwise they smashed us in the midfield and our forward line was a mess.

Obviously, the inclusions of Sidey, JDG, Elliott, Howe and possibly Mcstay, should make us a far better team.

I'm unconvinced of the worth of McInnis. Harrison did OK. Johnson went missing, as he did in the finals last year. That's a worry, as he is not a kid.

Time to rest up a bit then come back all systems go after the bye.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 am

^ personally I think Johnson won’t be here next year. I don’t see how McStay plays in a side with him. A little pressure and he drops the simplest of marks. Second rounder to Adelaide where I think he’ll play some good footy, so much xfactor.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 am

Bobby needs to be told to not fly for the same mark as the other forwards. I recall one horrific effort where we had 3 players fly for the same mark as one Dees backman only to see the ball spill to the ground and get swept out of our F50
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Yesterday was a game where the ball just didn’t bounce our way (literally).
The amount of times the ball bounced over our players head or did leg breaks instead of just popping up as would be expected was frustrating.
Numerous times our players attacked the ball with ferocity only to be thwarted by an uncharacteristic bounce directly into the Melbourne players hands who were trailing behind.
Sometimes it’s just one of those days.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:17 pm

Flys comments on Ginnivan being managed don’t make sense. No club selects a player to play ( especially when the teams only come out 24 hours before game day ) and then decide to manage him inside of 24 hours before the game starts. Any decisions on managing players are made by the coach and sports science team early in the week and are then shown as “ managed “ when the team changes drop.
There have been rumours circulating about Jacks lack of commitment for months and now there’s a another specific rumour regarding yesterdays omission. They may be true, they may not but if Jack hasn’t worked out by now that ability alone will only take so far, then I sense he’s about to learn it very quickly.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: