Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down Dockers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Game lost its fuzz when that young fella got stretchered off, hate to see that.

Good win, no injuries....you'd take that

wait til you see the photos, ouch indeed,
almost brought me to tears poor kid

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:41 am

Fly's presser

What did you take away from the performance today?
Quote:
"It was somewhat workmanlike. We wanted to turn up today and put on the best version of us or grow in a different way or find what our best looks like in terms of forward of the ball and other parts of the game. I just said to the players after the game about the ability to put our foot down when we want to. We did it last week against the Bulldogs and just played some really good brand of footy that we want to play. We did it again today in the second quarter and it's exciting. We want to be exciting to watch and hard to play against".

Was the second quarter the perfect quarter you can ask for?
Quote:
"I don't like the word 'perfect' because it means it's never going to happen again, but yeah I think so. I think that's just probably as close to what our DNA looks like in terms of all facets of our game. We had high pressure. We had good contested ball and we won a lot of the territory, so there's a lot of stuff there that makes us feel like we're on the right track".

The ability to find another level in the second quarter was impressive.
Quote:
"Yeah, the gears. When you're challenged can you put your foot down or when the game is close can you find another level? This group has had the ability to do it; whether you're down at three quarter time, and then they go, 'no, we get to work because time is running out, let's go' or in other parts of the game. It's a nice thing to have".

What do you think sparked your second quarter surge?
Quote:
"I think we got busy around the centre bounces. I think we lost a bit of territory early in the game, and that meant they could score heavily from that facet. We had minimal inside 50s in the first quarter but we scored from most of them; or for a lot of them. Then in the second quarter we just had a dominance of territory and clearance, and then our players forward of the ball found a way to score".

You must have been happy that Daniel McStay and Steele Sidebottom got through the game unscathed?
Quote:
"Yeah it's important. We got to get some work into those guys. They've been out for a while, and they've been working away from the footy field in terms of getting themselves ready to play, but there's nothing like match fitness".

Was Scott Pendlebury being subbed off a tactical move?
Quote:
"Yeah, somewhat. It's funny I've come and said that we're not going to rest players and I'll stand by my word, but we're going to manage them where we can. That's not just match day. We do that consistently. We look at the loads of players and how much training load they've had or how much they haven't had. I think Beau McCreery a few weeks ago didn't train all week and we thought that's two weeks in a row coming off an ankle so we didn't want him out of the team, so we play him as a sub. This week was the same with Tom Mitchell. He's had a heavy training load. He hasn't missed many sessions, and we're sort of thinking we're just teetering on the red line. We're going to need to look after this guy, but again we don't want him out of the team, so he plays sub. Then there's an opportunity to do the same with Pendles. I've said this before, but the naming of the 22 and not the sub is really difficult. It is because then we communicate that he's omitted. Well he's not omitted and he's not injured. What is it? He's not managed, so we're left holding this can of 'what is he'? And then he's out, but he's in. We find it extremely frustrating that we have to communicate that to the broader AFL or whoever else. Even the players, we're protecting the players from the ridicule of like, 'oh you're omitted'. How do you omit Tom Mitchell? How do you omit Beau McCreery? It's a frustration from our end".

Does that have an effect on players telling them they're the sub, even though on paper it says they're being omitted?
Quote:
"Yeah it has. Then people start to manipulate and go 'oh, late out'. Then you have to name someone else. It's a frustration".

It's unlikely you'll be making Nick Daicos the sub in the future?
Quote:
"Yeah, we have with Nick the ability to manage him during the week. We understand he's in his second year and he's playing high minutes and things and now he's in the midfield and we look after him during the week".

Is Nick Daicos embracing his midfield role with Jordan De Goey?
Quote:
"Yeah, he's worked with Jordy. They haven't played midfield together. It's only his second game together as a mid combination. It's exciting to think what that chemistry could be over short, medium and long term. There's just the little nuances of giving the ball to each other and whatever it looks like. It's a pretty damaging couple of players".

Is the plan long-term to leave Nick and Jordy in the midfield?
Quote:
"Yeah, for whatever the game needs. I think we'll start that way some games and then other games we might need something different. Right now, it's a nice weapon to have".

Back to team selection, do you think they should change it from a 22-man line-up to 23-man line-up, even though this can't be done apparently for legal reasons?
Quote:
"I think the perfect solution in the short term, if that's the case, would be an 'out - sub' because you've got to name them 'out' and he will be the sub and it gives us the flexibility to do that. Now, you don't have to do that. You could choose to say other things, but that would really help us because we're playing players that are in the 22 one week, but we're going to sub them the next [week]. Again, I'm not here to change the game. I'm just here to tell you the frustrations of it".

Any injuries to report?
Quote:
"No. Billy Frampton got a little cork so I'm not aware of any others".

Brayden Maynard looked like he re-aggravated his shoulder in the first quarter. Is that something he will have to manage?
Quote:
"Yeah, I don't think that's going to change. I think that's he's had it for a couple of years. It's just grumbling along. I'm stepping outside my expertise here, but I don't think it's a typical shoulder that pops in and out that needs a full reco like some get. It's certainly causing a little bit of grief here and there. It's something he's managed for a couple of years now".

Are you confident Maynard will be fine?
Quote:
"Yeah, unless it gets worse".

Brody Mihocek will push for selection for the Port Adelaide game?
Quote:
"Yeah, we anticipating that he gets up to play. Same with Darcy Cameron. They just didn't quite get to the line this week, so both of those guys will be available".

Are you now focusing on the Port Adelaide game?
Quote:
"We're pretty happy to just sit in the moment and enjoy our wins. We've spoken about deep wins and shallow losses and we'll sit in this one for a little bit".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1381269/we-want-to-be-exciting-to-watch-mcrae?videoId=1381269&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1689406055001

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:21 am

Highly economical and impressive win. In the 2nd quarter just annihilated them, and then went into second gear for the final half. There was no need to spend extra energy in this game. We will need it in the next few games. The second quarter was a statement of what we can produce when necessary. It was awesome.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:43 am

The ins and outs shall be interesting for the Port match. Port don't have great ruck stocks and you wonder whether having Cox, Cameron, Frampton, McStay may make us too top heavy.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:06 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Highly economical and impressive win. In the 2nd quarter just annihilated them, and then went into second gear for the final half.
There was no need to spend extra energy in this game. We will need it in the next few games. The second quarter was a statement of what we can produce when necessary. It was awesome.

All good and well, thanks to our 2nd qtr blitz; no doubt...

Seems Freo had the riot-act read to them at half time by JL, as they showed much more endeavour [and where was that effort last week against carlton on your home deck you lazy weak bastards?] in that second half.

But nobody here showing any concern about our putrid 2nd halves at the MCG of late, against mid-table interstate teams, who outscore us?
And WHY are we, the outright top side, allowing them to dictate so many quarters against us?
I'm not sure i'm buying the "conserving energy for next week" theory like many of you; our meagre return on 4 goals in the 2nd half today i'm putting down to ball slaughtering approaching F50 by experienced senior players.

inxs88 wrote:
The ins and outs shall be interesting for the Port match. Port don't have great ruck stocks .....

But they have Lycett, who flogged Grundy pointless in 2018GF... oh wait...

Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:07 am

inxs88 wrote:
The ins and outs shall be interesting for the Port match. Port don't have great ruck stocks and you wonder whether having Cox, Cameron, Frampton, McStay may make us too top heavy.

On today’s form, it’s Cameron for Frampton, unless we think that Dixon needs Frampton : in which case I’d rest Maynard.

Frampton is an emergency ruck at best and we were creamed at centre clearances when he rucked today.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:22 am

Meredith1965 wrote:
Frampton is an emergency ruck at best and we were creamed at centre clearances when he rucked today.

I'm more inclined to suggest that the absence of Mitchell in the centre for the first two quarters was the reason, not Frampton losing to that massive shit truck they park in the middle.

Mitchell the sub; FMD.... didn't the coaches learn from 2022?

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:38 am

Jezza wrote:
Top 10 (Collingwood vs Interstate H&A crowds in Melbourne)

[*] Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
[*] Rd 15 2023 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (65,930)
[*] Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
[*] Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
[*] Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
[*] Rd 19 2003 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (61,868)
[*] Rd 18 2023 = Collingwood vs Fremantle (61,157)
[*] Rd 3 2019 = Collingwood vs West Coast (60,878)
[*] Rd 2 2023 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide (60,744)
[*] Rd 7 1998 = Collingwood vs Sydney (57,894)

Next week will pass the million mark for attendance this season.

Fair chance of challenging the rd 19 2003 total v Brisbane next month to create 5 of the top ten attendances in this season!
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:30 am

Next week will pass the million mark for attendance this season.

Fair chance of challenging the rd 19 2003 total v Brisbane next month to create 5 of the top ten attendances in this season![/quote]

Will be hard to beat that attendance total at Marvel Stadium?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 am

I wonder if Mitchell's absence for much of the game was a factor in Adam's playing so well?
mattdally 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:50 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I wonder if Mitchell's absence for much of the game was a factor in Adam's playing so well?

I was thinking the same, but Adams was playing half-forward most of the time. Nick and Jordy took the centre with Pendles.
It was a smooth transition from Pendles to Titch - both had 14 touches and looked sharp. Great management.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:14 am

Good solid win that was highlighted by Maynard’s desperate tackling and smother in the 2nd quarter and Oleg Markov’s exuberant celebration after kicking a long ball to Elliot (who kicked a goal) in the third.
Markov has seamlessly slotted into this team which is a testament to both himself and the coaching staff who have extracted talent that neither Dimma or Dew could.

That is why Fly is the best coach in the AFL!!

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:47 am

piedys wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Highly economical and impressive win. In the 2nd quarter just annihilated them, and then went into second gear for the final half.
There was no need to spend extra energy in this game. We will need it in the next few games. The second quarter was a statement of what we can produce when necessary. It was awesome.

Seems Freo had the riot-act read to them at half time by JL, as they showed much more endeavour [and where was that effort last week against carlton on your home deck you lazy weak bastards?] in that second half.

But nobody here showing any concern about our putrid 2nd halves at the MCG of late, against mid-table interstate teams, who outscore us?
And WHY are we, the outright top side, allowing them to dictate so many quarters against us?
I'm not sure i'm buying the "conserving energy for next week" theory like many of you; our meagre return on 4 goals in the 2nd half today i'm putting down to ball slaughtering approaching F50 by experienced senior players.

inxs88 wrote:
The ins and outs shall be interesting for the Port match. Port don't have great ruck stocks .....

I was at the game, we did what we needed to do. No point in risking injuries after we had the game won in the second. I think after the Freo player went off players went into preservation mode. The conditions were s@#t and we are playing Port over there next week, so it was good preservation tactics. No need to flog teams to prove a point. Next week is the test, Port away after they have had a loss. We will need to bring our best.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:39 pm

schuey07 wrote:
piedys wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

inxs88 wrote:

I was at the game, we did what we needed to do. No point in risking injuries after we had the game won in the second. I think after the Freo player went off players went into preservation mode. The conditions were s@#t and we are playing Port over there next week, so it was good preservation tactics. No need to flog teams to prove a point. Next week is the test, Port away after they have had a loss. We will need to bring our best.

Yep, Right now is all about the long game in a gruelling physical season that goes on for six months through the dead of Winter. Even Fly has repeatedly mentioned this is the toughest time of the season to get players motivated to perform at their best. Players aren’t robots either, you can’t program them for four quarters of perfect footy. By round 18 and sitting on top, it’s human nature to just do enough to get the job done and then go into a self preservation mode for the following week. If you reckon we have problems, imagine the concerns at the other 17 clubs below us on the ladder.
We will all learn a little more about how good we are or aren’t over the next few weeks when we play some quality opponents. Surely it makes sense for players to prepare to be at their physical best for that block of games, rather than focussing on beating Freo by 12 goals instead of eight.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:40 pm

Port
Carlton
Hawks
Cats
Lions
Bombers
A win next week puts us two ahead of the pack with five to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: