Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Port and Pies both looked flat after their hard slog in the wet. Crows were rubbing past Port players like they were witches hats. Very similar to what we saw on Friday with our boys really struggling to cover the ground and let Carlton get some cheapies
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:44 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
This round killed my footy tipping, season over 😳

You’re probably not Robinson Crusoe there! If everyone tipped the same way…

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:02 pm

One (GWS) so far for me. I initially picked Adelaide, but as per every time I've changed a tip, I got bitten.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:38 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
rambler wrote:
"Heavy loaded training" in preparation for finals.

My novice assumption after the few times i've heard this term brought up is that the team goes hard at training for a period of time to maximise fitness and then tapers off later.
Can someone give me some clarification on this and are we actually doing it, and if we are, can it be a reason for last nights performance.

These days, “ Heavy loading “ phases aren’t what they used to be. Every player is set up with a customised training program designed to achieve particular high performance markers at a specific point of the season. If players are meeting their markers during the season, then there is no need for them to undergo any additional work load that’s outside of the program that was already planned. If players are falling short of the required levels, then those players may be asked to do extra work to bring them up to speed. These days, everyone is treated individually, simply because everyone has a different physiology. If you put the entire group through a heavy loading period, half of them would either break down or hit the wall with burn out.

Yes, just like differentiation is important in student learning, so it is in the training of professional footballers!

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:23 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Outplayed by Carlton- beaten fair and square.

Things to note:

* the six day break after the slog in Adelaide did us no favours
* the forward line lacked zip without Bobby Hill
* Mason Cox had a very poor game, but the big forwards all led to the one space which did him no favours at all.
* Nick Daicos looked tired and should be sub next week.
* our team is not 'cooked' as some would suggest- I would take 16 wins and 3 losses any season- I think we will be revitalised for next week against the Hawks.
* our goal kicking was poor- it did not cost us the match, but it sure didn't help.

It is a shame that Macrae is injured- he would have been a good addition next week. Perhaps Carmichael may get a call up- Hill is a certainty to be straight back in and consideration would be given to Ash Johnson for Cox

I'm not shattered- would rather lose to Carlton in Round 20 than a big final.

Floreat Pica

Some common sense points, not like all the others who are starting to write us off.
Here’s an observation.
Is it just coincidence that all 4 teams, Collingwood, Port, Geelong and Brisbane, who played in the big build games last week all lost.

Just sayin'.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:42 pm

Apart from the first 10 mins, we looked rather flat all night. I'm hoping it's because of our training loads, preparing to have us peak in 5 weeks time. Then again, maybe we collectively got a bit ahead of ourselves, and failed to apply a full intensive mindset to the task.

Nevertheless, I think that with McStay in the side, there is no room for Cox, especially given his recent poor form. I'd rather bring in Johnson who is far more mobile, a better mark and a better kick. Cox can remain the VFL in case of an injury to Cameron or McStay.

I agree with other people's comments about Moore's terrible kicking out from full back. If not Nick Daicos, then probably give the task to IQ.

Someone else mentioned Lipinski too. Unfortunately, to my eye, he tends to wilt a bit under physical pressure, which is not what's needed in a finals campaign. Perhaps we should consider replacing him with Ginni. It's not exactly like for like, but Lipinski does play mainly in the forward half.

Finally, is it just me, or does Mitchell look totally buggered? If so, maybe we should rest him for a week or two and bring in Carmichael.

Luckily, the unexpected losses to Brisi, Port and the Cats, all worked in our favour. I'm hoping the Dees win and squeeze into 3rd spot. Playing our first final at the 'G' against the Lions would be a great prospect.

Overall, let's look at the big picture. We are sitting 2 games plus percentage clear at the top of the table, with only 4 games to go. It's almost a certainty now that we'll finish 1st.

Go Pies!
choppa 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:56 pm

I also agree that we struggled due to the big game last week (and looks like all the other clubs did too from their big games).

But then it makes me worry what if we have a Prelim like that and win that game and then we don't show up in the GF eg Sydney Swans of last year.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:59 pm

But by GF week we will have hopefully played just 2 games in 4 weeks, had a 7 day break and not travelled for 2 months, so very different scenario
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:33 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Port and Pies both looked flat after their hard slog in the wet. Crows were rubbing past Port players like they were witches hats. Very similar to what we saw on Friday with our boys really struggling to cover the ground and let Carlton get some cheapies

Spot on, my point exactly, I said this a number of times, whereas the Bluescum played witches hats Weagles, no wonder they looked far fresher. No bloody wonder.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:07 pm

jatsad wrote:
Is it just coincidence that all 4 teams, Collingwood, Port, Geelong and Brisbane, who played in the big build games last week all lost.

Fair point though surely Collingwood has to be very used to big build ups.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:13 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Spot on, my point exactly, I said this a number of times, whereas the Bluescum played witches hats Weagles, no wonder they looked far fresher. No bloody wonder.

Can’t argue against that fact Piesnchess. The previous game has to be part of the assessment of the loss. That disparity was an obvious indicator.

Pete 70 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:48 pm

This may be hard to believe but it is hard for me to be objective at times about this beautiful club. I also have a bias for optimism. Fair warning. Carlton, sadly, are not a bad football team. They’ve been shit do so long it warms the heart but they have good players across every line, and has been noted there 5 games prior to us were against Old Xaverians, Melchester Rovers and. Couple of kids down the park. And their very best could only just get over our really bad. My brother (filing me in from Aus) said we peppered the goals at the end of the third, and if and if and if … but I think it’s a real positive that we lost so they don’t keep going with this we can come back from anywhere - let’s be four goals up at the start of the last in every final, and then put the foot down. Have a great week all
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:18 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
jatsad wrote:

Fair point though surely Collingwood has to be very used to big build ups.

Yeah, but that was first against second.
It has to wear you down at some point.

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:35 pm

On the Friday night stage at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Collingwood faltered against Carlton to lose by 17 points. The Blues were cleaner, sharper and produced greater accuracy in front of goal to ensure they had greater control of the game, particularly after quarter time. The opening term saw the Magpies jump the Blues with the first two goals before the Baggers hit back with scores level at quarter time. The second quarter was when Carlton gained ascendancy in general play and the scoreboard where they took away Collingwood's strengths to take in a lead of 17 points at the main break. Collingwood generated a fightback during the third term, but inaccuracy meant they could not eat into Carlton's half time lead with the Blues winning the quarter by 2 points to take in a lead of 19 points atthree quarter time. The last quarter saw the Woods attempt another comeback, but the Baggers found enough answers on the scoreboard to deny the Maggies an improbable victory and prevail by 17 points.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from key indicators such as disposals by +25 (363 - 338), handballs were won by +48 (164 - 116), +50 for uncontested possessions (243 - 193), intercept possessions had a margin of +10 (79 - 69), turnovers had a deficit of -10 (69 - 79), and hit-outs had an advantage of +6 ( 38 - 32 ). Contested marks had a margin of +6 ( 14 - 8 ), intercept marks had a gap of +10 (79 - 69), Marks Inside 50 were up by +8 ( 18 - 10 ), and Inside 50s had a differential of +4 (53 - 49). Carlton won their statistical categories from sources that included kicks by +23 (222 - 199), contested possessions were up by +33 (142 - 109), while clearances had a differential of +10 (41 - 31), +1 for centre clearances (13 - 12), and stoppage clearances had a positive reading of +9 ( 28 - 19 ). Tackles had an advantage of +10 (64 - 54), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +6 (13 - 7). Marks had a margin of +8 ( 96 - 88 ), with uncontested marks won by +14 ( 88 - 74 ).

Nick Daicos (28 disposals @ 54%, 314 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 15 kicks, 13 handballs, 6 tackles, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 3 stoppage clearances) had his impact minimised for the second week running where his influence on the contest dwindled, and compounded his own issues by wasting two shots at goal in the second half.

Josh Daicos (27 disposals @ 85%, 404 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 15 handballs, 2 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 4 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) recovered from a nightmare start where he recorded just 2 possessions, to accumulate 25 over the remaining three quarters, which produced territory and booted an excellent goal during the third quarter in an attempt to lift his side.

Jordan De Goey (25 disposals @ 84%, 396 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 14 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) generated supply and opportunities from clearances to create opportunities for his forwards while impacting the scoreboard himself.

Tom Mitchell (21 disposals @ 90%, 159 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 12 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) looked to give off handpasses off after taking marks or kicking short to maintain possession in finding spare teammates.

Scott Pendlebury (20 disposals @ 80%, 328 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) maintained possession effectively and kept persisting with the territory game to keep it moving forward.

Steele Sidebottom (19 disposals @ 68%, 333 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) accumulated his standard quota of possessions on the wing, took his marks, and looked to kick the ball long to a contest or handpass his way through Carlton's pressure.

Darcy Cameron (12 disposals @ 83%, 31 hit-outs, 6 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 4 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) competed hard in the ruck and won his fair share of ruck contests, while Cameron was able to get forward early and capitalise on his only goal for the game.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 82%, 335 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 7 tackles, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) looked to maintain possession by foot or kick long to contests, while Noble also attempted daring runs through the corridor or half-back flank to chain handpasses through the gauntlet that the Blues had set up behind the ball.

Brayden Maynard (22 disposals @ 59%, 559 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) spent most of his evening being inclined or forced to kick long to contests where the Magpies had enough numbers in aerial contests, but could not win the ball at ground level when the ball came off hands.

Jack Crisp (20 disposals @ 85%, 341 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) took the game on with relative success to effectively move the ball through Carlton's zone by hand, while maintaining possession by foot.

Oleg Markov (17 disposals @ 88%, 383 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) generated serious rebounding power and run from defence to move the ball forward by foot and hand as often as possible.

Darcy Moore (16 disposals @ 75%, 168 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 3 contested marks, 3 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) took brilliant marks in defence, but his foot skills coming out of defence let him down.

Nathan Murphy (13 disposals @ 85%, 218 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) played safe and conservative footy by taking the simple options at every opportunity from every mark he took or each ground ball he won at ground level.

Patrick Lipinski (21 disposals @ 67%, 387 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 5 Inside 50s) won his fair share of possessions up the ground as a high-half forward rotating through the midfield, but his ball use was below par.

Jeremy Howe (17 disposals @ 100%, 350 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 3 handballs, 10 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 9 score involvements & 3 goals) spent three quarters of the game in defence, before starting the last quarter on the wing, before shifting forward to give his team a spark with all of his goals coming in the last quarter.

Taylor Adams (12 disposals @ 50%, 130 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) contributed to scoring chains and ball movement despite being relatively quiet, while nailing a goal late in the last quarter.

Jamie Elliott (11 disposals @ 54%, 4 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) took his marks, but did not nail his opportunities in front of goal.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 70%, 341 metres gained, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 7 score involvements, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was involved in ball movement and scoring chains entering the front half, while having mixed results in front of goal.

Daniel McStay (9 disposals @ 78%, 186 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 7 marks, 3 contested marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements & 2 goals) played up forward with presence by imposing himself on the game with several marks taken up forward. Unfortunately for McStay, he did not take all of his opportunities in front of goal, despite booting two goals on the night which was reasonable, but not decisive.

Brody Mihocek (8 disposals @ 25%, 214 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) took his marks and created opportunities for his teammates. Mihocek's attempts at goal were uncharateristically sloppy.

Collingwood's next game will be against Hawthorn on August 5 at the MCG. It is time to be ruthless in the final month leading into September. Winning the contested possession count will be important, as will the want to tackle at every opportunity. Furthermore, every shot at goal needs to be taken and start playing four quarters of consistent and relentless footy.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:42 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
Dermott Brereton puts the blame for our loss mainly on Moore (for his kick outs)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/29/brereton-singles-out-pies-quartet-in-blues-loss/

He's right, but would we let the intensity drop in a final? I don't think so. It's more human than hubris to ease off in some games, I'd say. Sure, the risk is losing rhythm and picking up bad habits, but players are so aware and professional that that awareness would have to impact motivation.

Time will be the judge, of course, but not worried just yet. Next week might be tricky to manage, too. It will be interesting how the coaches deal with the situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: