Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAMER09 wrote:
Not sure if mentioned in the previous pages but you have to give credit to Josh Diacos with 30 seconds to go when Elliot kicked the ball towards the wing. Josh was there paddling the ball in front of him with 2 GWS players about to pounce and he picked up the ball cleanly, turned left (not a good option) then turned right and with a little speed, kicked the ball approx 40 metres (nailed it) and that was the end of the game.

If not a clean pick up, who knows what would've happened the last 20 seconds.

Well done Jaicos.

Hit W H E on the chest. I agree, there are very few, after having played four quarters, who could have pulled that perfect play off.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 pm

Interesting to watch Tom Green - he was really good for GWS. To me he looks like the sort of player we would want Ed Allan to become.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:37 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
piedys wrote:

Anyhoo, we need to know why JDG was STRANDED on the bench, like Tom Hanks on the island in Castaway, while that last stanza unfolded..

The issue with DeGoey was the entire last 5 mins was nearly all stoppages, so no Collingwood player could leave their stoppage role to run 100 metres off the ground and have us left with one player short at the contest.
Occasionally it happens. Everyone knows he should be on the ground but the situation just doesn’t allow for an interchange. Sometimes you can still pull it off if the stoppages are happening right in front of your own interchange.

The coaches have a bit to work with from last night. Our three or four 50 metre penalties were very costly in a game that was all about territory. Worse still, was that we allowed Greene to sneak up beside the Giants player who was having a set shot on goal.
We allowed Greene to do it TWICE. Lucky it only cost us one goal. You can guarantee concentration and discipline will be a focus this week.

Yeah time can get away from you when the play is too far away from interchange, and you certainly risk running the gauntlet by removing a player while the ball is in dispute.

That Greene thing will be looked at for sure during the week; IIRC McCreery is lurking around behind them not watching the ball?

The 50M penalties were mostly trivial as usual; any excuse for maggots to get GWS within striking distance of us.

The Black and White Lion wrote:
piedys wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
GWS were the form side of the competition. That's as tough a game as we'll get this year.

Tell me - I watched their game last week vs Port.
I'd presumed that was their gearbox maxed out?

I'm sure they ran even harder and longer last night against us, did they not?

Yes they were a big surprise throughout the game. I hope our fresher legs were the difference but their effort was huge and reminds you of how much talent they still have despite their annual trade and draft bonanza.
Plenty for GWS to have pride about and a sore loss for them to ponder.

So glad that was the result and the Pies got up. Who knows what happens from here but we’ve overcome a great team to make it the GF

GWS have many new admirers now; wonder how Taranto and Hopper and going down at Tigerland lol

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:56 pm

Frampton in for McStay in the GF
Adams in for lipinski
Ginny sub again
Rucks Cox and Cameron
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:38 pm

David wrote:
90 nice wrote:
piedys i was tossing up between Noble and Lipinski.

To me these 2 players are developing a healthy rivalry as in terms of gaining spots in the team.

Time to unleash the Kruger for the GF.

Your commitment to the Kreuger cause is admirable, but I think his chance of being named in the GF off two matches this year is negligible. The fact he hasn't even been named as an emergency for ages suggests the selection committee isn't actively considering him either.

If we decide to bring in a tall, it'll be Frampton.

Kreuger might be a bigger flight risk than Tiger Airways!

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Seen the Gabba score? I’m worried now. Might change my mind on Frampton. If we play Carlton I think we’ll need him.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:09 pm

Haff wrote:
Not sure we’re giving Cox and Cameron enough love here. They were both very good especially the former.

Will be huge next week. I have a feeling Coxy will rip the granny apart!

Err... Former, yeah... Latter, not so much.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:15 pm

David wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Sidey was the hero for me. He was everywhere, particularly early, and that match saving mark on the goal line saved the game. What a phucking legend!

BOG I reckon. Might be the best game I’ve ever seen him play.

Not in his top 10 for me!

Up and down... Some good, some bad. Gave away 2 50m penalties. Shocked

But it's always Steele who takes the mark on the goal line at the end of the game to save the day. Smile

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Our discipline better improve we can’t afford to give away so many 50m penalties next week and Sidey better learn the rule about encroaching or not standing when told too that brain fart could have cost us the game

Well, as I said...

It's always Steele marking or spoiling on the last line to save the game. Ya gotta admit that. (Early example: 2010 H&A against Melb.)

Last edited by K on Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
piedys wrote:

Anyhoo, we need to know why JDG was STRANDED on the bench, like Tom Hanks on the island in Castaway, while that last stanza unfolded..

The issue with DeGoey was the entire last 5 mins was nearly all stoppages, so no Collingwood player could leave their stoppage role to run 100 metres off the ground and have us left with one player short at the contest.
Occasionally it happens. Everyone knows he should be on the ground but the situation just doesn’t allow for an interchange. Sometimes you can still pull it off if the stoppages are happening right in front of your own interchange.

Yeah time can get away from you when the play is too far away from interchange, and you certainly risk running the gauntlet by removing a player while the ball is in dispute.

If they prepared for such a thing, maybe a player they want off can swap with someone deepest forward, and then, now as deepest forward, run off to swap with JdG??
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:55 pm

David wrote:
90 nice wrote:
Who was the last player to touch the ball.

I saw the footage it was either Crisp or JDG.

not 100% sure, but I thought it was Bobby Hill.

WHE marks. (It's always WHE who takes the mark to run down the clock and protect the lead.)
Passes backwards to Hill.
Hill kicks backwards to no one* [Shocked] as the siren sounds.

* Was a bit Shocked at the time. So I looked at the replay. Looks like the siren goes just as Bobby's dropping the ball, before it hits his boot. Teammate changes motion to celebrate... But looks like it may have sailed over his head if the play were still going on. Shocked Imagine the ball bobbling on the ground in D50 with 5 seconds left. Shocked
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:47 pm

piedys wrote:
The Black and White Lion wrote:
piedys wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
GWS were the form side of the competition. That's as tough a game as we'll get this year.

Tell me - I watched their game last week vs Port.
I'd presumed that was their gearbox maxed out?

I'm sure they ran even harder and longer last night against us, did they not?

Yes they were a big surprise throughout the game. I hope our fresher legs were the difference but their effort was huge and reminds you of how much talent they still have despite their annual trade and draft bonanza.
Plenty for GWS to have pride about and a sore loss for them to ponder.

GWS have many new admirers now; wonder how Taranto and Hopper and going down at Tigerland lol

Dunno why so many folks here were trashing GWS pre-game. (Well, I said pre-game that it was the interstate effect.) And so many folks getting upset by media takes on GWS. Shocked I mean, all the media folks I heard tipped Collingwood, but thought GWS were a real threat. (Did Nicksters want media all to tip a 10-goal Collingwood win?) Which is what I felt. And how it turned out.

K (pre-game) wrote:
But I reckon GWS's strengths are underestimated by many folks here. It's the interstate effect. (Same folks prolly don't realize how well Witts has been going for years for GC as ruckman and co-captain.) All those stars, like Toby, Kelly, Green, Whitfield, Coniglio,... We've struggled with clearances and contested ball for several months. It's tough work trying to win scoring by slingshot off half back all the time.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036988/ranking-the-midfields-which-preliminary-final-team-comes-out-on-top

Since R19...

Clearance diff: Coll. -0.9; Bris. +3.9; Carl. +6.1; GWS +1.4
Hitouts to advantage diff: Coll. +2.6; Bris. -3.7; Carl. -1.3; GWS +3.1
Midfield contested possession diff: Coll. -7.1; Bris. +9.4; Carl. +12.0; GWS +5.3
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:13 pm

think better wrote:
Interesting to watch Tom Green - he was really good for GWS. To me he looks like the sort of player we would want Ed Allan to become.

If Allan gets to green's level, we will need an extra trophy cabinet

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
DT 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:17 pm

90 nice wrote:
Frampton in for McStay in the GF
Adams in for lipinski
Ginny sub again
Rucks Cox and Cameron

20 years ago Rocca was suspended and Ben Kinnear played centre half forward - Simon Black played a blinder and Collingwood were smashed by Brisbane.

Frampton is solid as a key defender but is not good enough to play key forward in a final. Unfortunately Ash Johnson is injured albeit so am not convinced he would be good enough either as his form has been down.

Cox or Cameron could play as a key forward although at the moment Cox is our best ruckman and changed the game at Marvel when he came on against Brisbane.

This is why the coaches get paid to select - I really am unclear about the replacement for McStay as we rob Peter to pay Paul. The best option is Cox but he is our best ruck. Hmmm ....

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:22 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Not sure if mentioned in the previous pages but you have to give credit to Josh Diacos with 30 seconds to go when Elliot kicked the ball towards the wing. Josh was there paddling the ball in front of him with 2 GWS players about to pounce and he picked up the ball cleanly, turned left (not a good option) then turned right and with a little speed, kicked the ball approx 40 metres (nailed it) and that was the end of the game.

If not a clean pick up, who knows what would've happened the last 20 seconds.

Well done Jaicos.

Hit W H E on the chest. I agree, there are very few, after having played four quarters, who could have pulled that perfect play off.

Yes,it was great work by Josh in that final play.He certainly saved the day for us.All I can say is thank god Lipinski wasn’t out on the wing at that moment.I think we all know what would have happened in that situation,and it wouldn’t have been pretty.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:28 pm

K wrote:
Dunno why so many folks here were trashing GWS pre-game. (Well, I said pre-game that it was the interstate effect.) And so many folks getting upset by media takes on GWS. Shocked
I mean, all the media folks I heard tipped Collingwood, but thought GWS were a real threat. (Did Nicksters want media all to tip a 10-goal Collingwood win?) Which is what I felt. And how it turned out.

K (pre-game) wrote:
But I reckon GWS's strengths are underestimated by many folks here. It's the interstate effect. All those stars, like Toby, Kelly, Green, Whitfield, Coniglio,...
We've struggled with clearances and contested ball for several months. It's tough work trying to win scoring by slingshot off half back all the time.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036988/ranking-the-midfields-which-preliminary-final-team-comes-out-on-top

Yep, I was in the proceed-with-caution camp with you there.
I was hopeful, more than actually confident, leading into friday.

Anyhoo, bring on the Bears...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16   

Jump to: