Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Giants. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It just felt we were off even early when we got those first few goals. The one where Brown marked 70m out and we didn’t man the mark and let him run 15m and launch a long goal was inexcusable.

We were disorganised everywhere really. It may take a few weeks to settle a bit like in 2022, let’s just hope we keep the W-L positive until we find our mojo.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:44 am

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge the opposition. Not only were the Giants on last night but they also have probably the most talented list in the competition. They are going to be very hard to beat, particularly up there. We’ve certainly got plenty of improvement in us and it’s a long season but already it’s plain to see the challenges will be greater.
The biggest positive from the night was to kick 82 points against quality opposition and to have done that still kicking poorly. Unfortunately all that gets lost when you give up 114 points going the other way.
It’s been well documented Collingwood have the hardest opening month of the draw, so let’s not start potting our premiership heroes ( or others ) just yet.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:46 am

Pies2016 wrote:
^

Great post

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:53 am

We’re the oldest team in the competition and it showed last night when GWS ran us off our feet. Poor kicking is poor football, but wouldn’t it help if we had a tall forward other than an aging Mihocek to help us in the forward line? GWS has Hogan and an upper comer in Cadman. We basically refuse to recruit tall forwards unless they’re proven, like McStay, or recruit defenders like Mihocek, who we can convert into forwards. Why????? Geelong spent 10 years in a premiership drought until they picked up Jeremy Cameron. If McStay had played the GF we would have won by 5 goals. We’re basically kidding ourselves if we think Schultz will fix our forward line issues. He’s a like for like with Jamie Elliot. And don’t get me started with Ash Johnson. He goes missing in action when the going gets tough. Reef should have played last night, not Ash. And if people think Frampton would have done a better job than Dean last night, you’ve obviously forgotten what happened in the GF. We need to regig the team we played last night. We need faster legs and another tall forward who can give Mihocek a hand. Otherwise we can forget about winning premierships into the foreseeable future.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 am

Been banging on about a KPPFF for years along with rudeboy!

I can’t believe people thought we would win! I was happy with not quitting, but quite frankly the inaccuracy in front of goals is still our worst fault! No Howe and Murphy, huge outs against a tall quality forward line at their own ground, and with the prelim burning in their souls. I do think the docos etc could have finished a couple of weeks ago, but really, the players should not be affected by that. Also, you think last night made up for Toby’s tears? I doubt it! And another thing, WTF with the AFL scheduling us to play away first game after a premiership win? We would have rocked the G to capacity! I am so fricken over the bias for the 4 northern teams, they have had enough handed to them on a platter. Just for once, give some grace to the team that is, was and will always be, the AFL’s biggest cash cow! They treat us like crap!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 am

Not an unexpected result. As others have noted, we simply looked a bit over-cooked, perhaps due to the monster training load our team has undertaken over the summer.

In terms of personnel, I was particularly disappointed in Johnson, who was a complete passenger. The kid is certainly talented, but doesn't seem to have the nous and/or competitive edge, required to play at this level. Time to exchange him for McInnis - who at least will provide more movement and presence up forward.

Mitchell is a warrior, and may be required again in September, but perhaps he should only be used sparingly this year, opening up a spot for Finn Macrae. We certainly need more run in the midfield and he should provide that.

As for Dean, I thought he did ok. As someone else noted, he should have been on their 2nd or 3rd marking forward, not their 1st. I'd like to see Frampton in the side to play the Presti role on our opposition's big forwards.

Overall, a disappointing start to the season, but it's only mid March ffs, so let's wait a few weeks before judging where we stand.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:22 am

GWS is a very good side and they could go undefeated at their home.

Dean was poor but many players are in their first game
Defence was poor at times but looks easily rectified Howe/Murphy in will help
The delivery into the forward line was poor the kicking for goal shit
These two areas need major work

Fitness and match fitness are a problem but GWS had an extra week PF loss versus GF win.

Johnson was a passenger but wasnt alone

GWS has a lot of very good players and is a high possibility to play GF
To expect to win like playing North is unrealistic
Fly has a lot to do

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 am

If anyone deserves to be cut some slack on our overall performance, then it’s Charlie Dean. Hadn’t played footy for two year and copped an absolute baptism of fire from the Giants with their powerful midfield and multi pronged forward line ( 2 key forwards of which are former #1 and #2 picks in National drafts )
He may get dropped, he may not but baring injury, you can guarantee he will finish the season a better player than the one who debuted last night.
Magpies035 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:34 am

MacRae should have played simple
The extra mid would have helped

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:05 am

Hoping the Flogging GWS Gave Collingwood is a Wake Up Call to the Collingwood Players
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am

Meh, Giants are a four goal better team up on their own pissing ground. as are the Swans, and we lost by five, we had players down. and missed some easy shots. Not a disaster by any means, no team will win up there, with that vile Orange Horde going nuts. Lets see how we stand in 6 weeks time.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:43 pm

Besides the result, one clear negative to come out of the game was our glaring lack of big man power, all over the ground. Cameron was serviceable, Cox was a liability, Johnson was a non-entity, Moore was average and Dean was a first gamer. Only Checkers put in a good performance. The problem is we don't really have any other quality KPPs in our squad to turn to, apart from Howe (not really a KPP) and Frampton.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 pm

I called it before the game, I didn't feel the pies were ever going to win this.

Regining premiers, never normally start the following season well. What made me certain was watching Brisbane, they were stuffed by half time. They also got run over the top of.

I also haven't like the pre-season body language. Anyway hood loss...might just give them the incentive to get into the season. To be honest I will be happy to build into the season slowly....you don't win premierships in March or April.

I think Mitchell gets dropped for Mcrae.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:02 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I don't really agree with those who have suggested this game was relatively quite equal, but our poor accuracy on goal was the decisive factor.
The decisive factor, I think, was the poor performance of our mids, and their inability to cohere with our forwards.
GWS kicked truly not merely through luck, but because their mids were able to mesh powerfully with their forwards.

This is correct for mine.

I was there last night, and the lack of 2 way running, or rather the giants running quicker, was really clear...hence why they had a clear forward line to kick into, whereas we were forced to bomb long.

Johnson...I don't see it. Looks like a mid season recruit, could be good if McStay is up there as well, but just him and Checkers? Not working.

Schultz....really had high hopes for this guy....didn't look great last night.

Weather was good, if hot...very reasonable humidity by Sydney standards.

I was pretty angry coming home this morning....and then I open my laptop to the screen saver of the boys holding the Cup....feel a lot better now!

My fear is that why may start the season 0-2 and be playing catchup footy all season

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:32 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Outplayed- pure and simple.

Pretty much spot on WL, certainly felt that way at the game.

BTW, it was the first time I have seen Dean in the flesh...I kinda thought he would be bigger. Would have preferred our one time FF, the latter day Ronnie McK, to play instead...we just felt short down there.

Giants Callum Brown was a sight...they are gonna be hard to stop if he has a big year. Who would have thought the giants would be 9 goals up against the reigning premiers with him not having kicked a goal?

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: