Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A fan of a slow start...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:45 am
Post subject: A fan of a slow start...Reply with quote

The GWS game for mine was a predictable result, Brisbane also ran out of puff, and they (like Collingwood) had a later start to the year.

I actually feel a slow start to 2024 will be a benefit to the side...

Firstly, we lose media hype...our greatest danger as a club (aside from injuries) is fan and media hype...because we can't, and never have handled it well. GWS won the game they should have, and I got to say are a real danger side this year.

Secondly, I think the players needed to be stung a bit, the vibe from the playing group has been a touch of resting on 2023 success, which is understandable (we won the flag!), and like I say we started back late...so we wont be in the same fitness and skill levels to the likes of some other sides....none the less it is a new year...2023 was last year as amazing as it was...and very difficult to match..we need to get the heads into a new season.

Lastly, this is a season that will take some building into...we have four games...then a break in round five. I won't be worried if we are bottom half of the eight, or even slightly outside of come round five. You only worry if the malaise is consistent

Personally, I would prefer to be running into our best form and fitness coming into the later rounds....or do shooting the lights out from early rounds and sinking into a hole later in the year....the only exception to the rule is a freak season like Essendon in 2000...rare as hens teeth.

My final point is, I don't like the age of the team...got to start playing some kids...see Reef, Fin and hopefully Ed Allen et.al. you can play too old and end up like Geelong in 2023....I understand that you can't rush youth...but at some point they need to start to be played.

I liked Dean and I think he needs a run at a few games...can't stamp his papers off one game...I get that Howe is important...but he is also what 34? With a big history of injuries...need to start planing past him.

Can some on here also cut SCHULTZ some slack, first game for the club and learning a new game style..it might take him awhile to find his feet.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not buy into that later start theory. Our opponent (GWS) and Brisbane's opponent (Carlton) were both knocked out in the preliminary finals. Doesn't that mean they could resume training one week earlier?

But I would like for us to build up during the year and peak in September. Premierships are not own in March/April.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:27 pm

^
Quote:
Firstly, we lose media hype
Secondly, I think the players needed to be stung a bit
Lastly, this is a season

Hubris out - Hard work in. Suspect that'll come as a timely wake-up call for those on and off the field.
We get another early season audit at the MCG against the up and about Swans come Friday.
And on the season, while I thought we were outcoached on Saturday, GWS executed their game plan to perfection. We didn't see any real tweaks to ours, ultimately weakened by the absence of Howe in particular. But not starting Noble I felt was going to be costly, it might not have swung the game, but it again reflected the thinking from the box was a bit off.
It put paid to those that viewed GWS as lacking depth. They have depth all over the field and more on their list. That was quality football they played.
By the end of Round5, 3W to 2L will be a pass mark I'll be more than happy to work off. I expect 16 wins or better will be the minimum to get in the Top4 this year.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm

Not sure if I’m necessarily a fan of a slow start but there is certainly no reason to be concerned after a round one loss, particularly against very good opposition on their home ground.
I think Aussie rules at the elite level is ( one of ) the longest running season for contact sports on the planet. It’s a very fine balancing act between having a team cherry ripe from round one and finishing just high enough ( 4th or better in this comp ) to peak for finals.
The age of our list profile and the premiership window being wide open adds additional layers and considerations to our list being at their peak in 7 months time. You simply can’t aim to have players like Mitchell, Elliot, Howe, Pendles and Sidey in peak fitness by early March or they would be long burnt out by September. They are also such important players in terms of experience and leadership, so you still want them out there whenever possible. These guys at 80% of their peak fitness capacity still offer more than a rookie who has trained the house down over the summer ( although Sidey defied that logic on Sat night )
Personally I don’t get too fussed about losing round one because history proves many teams for whatever reasons, don’t come with the right head space in the opening round. I look at the start of the season as a block of four games, two of which as a minimum that need to be won. They’re all worth four points regardless of the opposition, so as long as you win two of first four or three of six, there’s enough of a platform to improve upon as the season rolls on.

Also agree on Schultz. If you had watched most of his last 50 odd games at the Dockers, you wouldn’t be writing him off after his first two hours at Collingwood. Give him the open spaces at the G and he will soon show why we went after him.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:44 pm

" Tell yer what, Premierships aint won in March or April "- Jack Dyer.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:33 pm

Just look at 2023. Lions were belted in 1st round and the had serious question marks after their Rnd 3 loss to WB. Giants were 14th in Rnd 15. Even in 2022 we were out of the eight at Rnd 11.

I reckon the Giants started planning for 2024 the day after they lost the prelim, they are probably 4 weeks ahead of us in all aspects and it showed.

The media needs to calm the farm a little bit.

slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 pm

I think everyone is getting a little frazzled with the loss on the weekend.
I am not as concerned about hunger or game style as some, particularly in the media, have expressed.

1. Very poor kicking for goal was the major difference in the game.

2. We had quite a few periods where we were on top with good structure and ball movement only to squander the opportunity with too many easy misses.

3. GWS were able to put scoreboard pressure on with their unbelievable accuracy for goal 18.6. They made us pay when they had the chance and we missed chances that players like WHE, Elliott and Schultz would normally kick.

I haven’t lost faith in what this team can produce but the kicking for goal (particularly from set shots) will need to improve considerably if we are to capitalise when we have the momentum.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I do not buy into that later start theory. Our opponent (GWS) and Brisbane's opponent (Carlton) were both knocked out in the preliminary finals. Doesn't that mean they could resume training one week earlier?

But I would like for us to build up during the year and peak in September. Premierships are not own in March/April.

Please. You think they were partying and celebrating like the premiers do???

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:54 pm

We were belted by Richmond and WB in consecutive weeks in 2022.

On Saturday we got a spanking by a premiership favourite on their dungheap at the start of March.

Who gives a flying Fukarri rug?

I thought we looked sharp as af the first 15 mins. Should have gone up 15 points. Defence was decimated for experience and height.

We’ll be fine.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:33 pm

slangman wrote:
I think everyone is getting a little frazzled with the loss on the weekend.
I am not as concerned about hunger or game style as some, particularly in the media, have expressed.

1. Very poor kicking for goal was the major difference in the game.

2. We had quite a few periods where we were on top with good structure and ball movement only to squander the opportunity with too many easy misses.

3. GWS were able to put scoreboard pressure on with their unbelievable accuracy for goal 18.6. They made us pay when they had the chance and we missed chances that players like WHE, Elliott and Schultz would normally kick.

I haven’t lost faith in what this team can produce but the kicking for goal (particularly from set shots) will need to improve considerably if we are to capitalise when we have the momentum.

Not to mention, aside from all that, GWS are at least a 4 goal better team up there, on their own Orange oval, and we lost by 5 goals, so there you go. It aint rocket science. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm

I'm definitely not worried about losing to GWS at the cow paddock in opening round, they've been stewing and waiting for revenge since last year and we've been celebrating a premiership.

An opening round win makes zero difference to the Holy Grail on that last Saturday in September.

I am interested though in how many premiers start the season off with a loss? As others have said, good teams usually build and first game can often depend on the quality of opponent.

I will however be slightly concerned if we don't beat Sydney at the MCG on Friday night.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:03 pm

Not overly concerned about our 2024 prospects at the moment as GWS are a formidable opponent, but there's warning signs that we'll need to improve if we want to win the flag again.

Having a slow burn and then gathering momentum later into the season? I understand the sentiment and I agree being the best team in the final two months is pivotal to having any success.

However, I always felt our most successful seasons always started with a bang. 2022 and 2023 being the most recent examples of this, but the same can also be said for 2010 and 2011. 2018 was the outlier in this respect when we started the season 0-2 and didn't start firing from until about Round 4.

It's important we win this week to settle our nerves and get our rhythm going. Being 0-2 isn't fatal, but some doubts will start creeping in.

Good comments on the age profile of the list especially in light of being the oldest team with respect to average age and the 2nd most experienced team overall. I'd like to see us some blooding some youngsters (i.e. Macrae, McInnes etc.) sooner rather than later. It needs to happen, otherwise the fall will be hard when our veterans are inevitably phased out over the next few years.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:46 pm
Post subject: Re: A fan of a slow start...Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
The GWS game for mine was a predictable result, Brisbane also ran out of puff, and they (like Collingwood) had a later start to the year.

I actually feel a slow start to 2024 will be a benefit to the side...

Firstly, we lose media hype.. .

Collingwood won’t and never will lose the media hype. In fact a very slow start to the season will give the hack media more reason to come up with crazy stories as to why Collingwood are struggling. They would love Collingwood to struggle in order to justify their own theories and speculate about crap. I’m waiting for some media goose to get all hot and sweaty about vomiting that we are struggling because Wrighty has gone overseas for six months! Watch out for this inevitable storm in a teacup article to appear 🙄 I used to get really pissed off with the hack media but now I realise it’s a waste of oxygen and it’s like trying to teach a stinking skunk to sing. So I shrug my shoulders, have a bit of a laugh at them and move on.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:41 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Also agree on Schultz. If you had watched most of his last 50 odd games at the Dockers, you wouldn’t be writing him off after his first two hours at Collingwood. Give him the open spaces at the G and he will soon show why we went after him.

Well, media seemed to like his game.

But his disposal was atrocious. Sheesh... Not just the points and did-not-score shots. What about that simple pass that went right over Jamie's head? Atrocious!

Jezza wrote:
Good comments on the age profile of the list especially in light of being the oldest team with respect to average age and the 2nd most experienced team overall. I'd like to see us some blooding some youngsters (i.e. Macrae, McInnes etc.) sooner rather than later. It needs to happen, otherwise the fall will be hard when our veterans are inevitably phased out over the next few years.

Yes, but sadly Mac & Mc don't play in the positions we have greatest need for (KPF, etc.).
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:11 am

If we lose Thursday, we then face Brisbane away, Hawthorn, Port, Essendon and Carlton.

That's a possible 0 - 8 start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: