Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Soudie wrote:
In the first year;
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 1 year and 3 years thereafter, and
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 2 years and 3 years thereafter, and
• 3 of the board positions will be for a term of 3 years and 3 years thereafter.

How would it be determined which initial terms applied to which positions, in the event of a new board coming in?

Soudie wrote:

• The board may appoint a replacement, without reference to the members, but only for the term up to the next AGM

The problem historically has been board members being appointed/elected unopposed, which means there is no vote

You've hit the nail on the head. I don't think the members are necessarily unhappy with the people who sit on the board. They're unhappy with having no say on who sits on the board.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Right, and that happened because the perception was if you didn't have Eddie's support, you had no hope of getting on the board and no chance of changing anything if you did
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:31 pm

A frown for Browne, his plans go down, as Korda sorta gets the Board in order

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:55 pm

Jeff Browne takes aim at ‘botched’ Collingwood board in scathing open letter

'Prospective Collingwood president Jeff Browne has released a searing public letter taking aim at current president Mark Korda and the club’s board, insisting he still intends to make a run for the presidency.'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-news-2021-collingwood-board-spill-jeff-browne-egm-open-letter-mark-korda-eddie-mcguire/news-story/415ccdd1df6900031a1f3ef945f46046
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
David wrote:
Rudeboy, are you still thinking of running? You 100% should. Time to put the power back into the hands of the ordinary supporter.

Thanks David. Yes, at the next AGM there should be 3 positions up for election. No doubt Browne will contest with a couple of running mates. When that time comes, I intend to run also, in order to provide an independent voice/choice for members. Obviously I'll have plenty more to say at the time, but my main platform will be around our club's lack of transparency and integrity. There has been, and continues to be, far too much use of media spin from our club and in the process we have lost much of what historically made us the people's club.

Wow, this is huge news. Exclamation

Obviously warrants its own thread closer to the time.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 pm

robevpau1 wrote:
Jeff Browne takes aim at ‘botched’ Collingwood board in scathing open letter

'Prospective Collingwood president Jeff Browne has released a searing public letter taking aim at current president Mark Korda and the club’s board, insisting he still intends to make a run for the presidency.'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-news-2021-collingwood-board-spill-jeff-browne-egm-open-letter-mark-korda-eddie-mcguire/news-story/415ccdd1df6900031a1f3ef945f46046

When is Browne is going to announce his ticket and platform?

Easy to critcise the current board, but what's his solutions to the problems he's identified?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 pm

So Browne has highlighted 7 issues in his open letter.

1. A botched miscalculation of the salary cap, overseen by the current President as Chairman of the Finance Committee

[*] Agree that the salary cap was badly mismanaged. Is Korda solely responsible for that though?

2. An undignified ejection of four very good players, forced out because of the salary cap blunders

[*] Cannot deny that the salary cap issues led to a fire sale of players.
[*] Phillips' exit was dignified. Left on good terms with the club.
[*] Treloar and Stephenson's exits were not handled well, particularly Treloar. Having the senior coach tell him he wasn't wanted by the players was unacceptable.

3. The botched appointment of a so-called Director, with no past passion for, or engagement with Collingwood

[*] I'm not impressed with the appointment of O'Donnell either.
[*] This is one of the points I agree with Browne 100%.

4. The inherent instability that surrounds replacing a coach mid-season, an episode only saved significantly by the class and dignity of the coach himself;

[*] Coaches leave mid-season. It's not unprecedented.
[*] I supported Buckley being moved on, whether it was now or at seasons end.

5. Apparent meetings with some supporters pledging long overdue improvement to Members benefits and facilities, offered amidst a plea not to give the Members their right to elect a new Board to represent them;

[*] When did Browne start caring about democracy? All he's achieved is demonstrating his hypocrisy.
[*] A few weeks ago, he was trying to push his way into the board and circumvent democracy at the club.
[*] Why did he not say a thing for 23 years when his best mate was ruling the club with an iron first and using the casual vacancy provision in the constitution to appoint new board members.

6. Unprecedented low attendances at Collingwood home games at the MCG

[*] We're in the middle of a pandemic and the team is performing poorly = low attendances.
[*] Attendances have been down across the board in Victoria.
[*] Collingwood has the second highest "home" attendances this year, behind only West Coast.
[*] Why only include the MCG where 2 of the 5 games were against GWS and Gold Coast, and round 1 against the Dogs had a 50% capacity limit?
[*] Browne would have been better off identifying the stagnant membership numbers in the last decade.

7. A devaluation of the Collingwood brand that has seen the broadcast of non-feature matches, relegated to graveyard television broadcasting slots.

[*] The perils of a floating fixture.
[*] If we're performing well on-field, we'll get better timeslots.
[*] We've been on free to air 7 out of 13 games.
[*] We've featured in a prime time periods 8 times (2 on Thursday night, 2 on Friday night, 2 on Saturday night, 2 on Sunday afternoon).

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Magpies035 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 pm

Lets sort this out quickly.
I see nothing wrong in letting the members vote for once in a very long time and deciding who or which board members they support

It hasn't happened for a long time

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 pm

Love to see you on the board, Rudeboy
slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 pm

It would be folly for Browne to announce anything before an EGM is called.
He has outlined the concerns that he has with the board and the current state of the club.
I will vote for Browne as more a vote of no confidence in the current board than for Browne’s ticket.
Murphy is really the person that I would like as president but he is currently tied to the clowns that I want to get voted out

Bring on the EGM!!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:42 pm

I think what Browne didn't say is more telling.

Nothing about the club's finances, nothing about the "Do Better" report and nothing about Graham Wright and the football department.

Most of his issues are directed at the board specifically, the salary cap which is predictable and obvious, and something about low crowd numbers and poor timeslots.

I should note I'm prepared to give Browne a chance, but I just haven't seen anything substantive from him that gets my vote at this stage. That could change in time.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:50 pm

So let's have a guess who "may" be considered to run on his ticket:

* John Bertrand: tick

* Anybody surnamed Galbally: likely

* Peter Moore: no, conflict of interest

* Tony Shaw: no, probably wants to be "Switzerland"

* Craig Kelly, no as conflict of interest

* Peter Daicos, no conflict of interest

* John Brumby, yes

* Leigh Matthews, interesting one. Hates what happened to Eddie

* Paul Tuddenham, likely

* Michael Christian, conflict of interest

* Andrew Ireland, would be an astute selection

Share your thoughts.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 pm

inxs88 wrote:
* Leigh Matthews, interesting one. Hates what happened to Eddie

He's happy where he is on the Brissy board.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 pm

I know he's on Fremantles board and is a long shot but an obvious candidate is James Clement.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 am

inxs88 wrote:
So let's have a guess who "may" be considered to run on his ticket... Share your thoughts

Why should people have to guess who "may" be considered on Browne's ticket, especially before deciding if they will sign a petition for an EGM?

Browne should come out and announce it himself instead of taking random potshots at the current board

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 113 of 182   

Jump to: