Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies tie Dons. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Cooper wrote:
People say we got nothing in the reserves but they wont get to AFL level rotting in the reserves. It’s about time our conservative selection policies were given a long hard look. Surely we can balance the mix of old and new going forward?

Under normal circumstances I’d agree with you but geez I watched the seconds last week and the lack of depth was appalling. I’ll be interested in knowing who you reckon deserves to come in?

Collingwouldn't 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:45 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
My take:
Essendon very lucky to draw. They were pulling goals out of their a**es in the first quarter. Several of their first quarter goals were miracles.
So it should not have been so close going in to final qr, had they not been blessed by the footy gods in the first.
Had we kicked as straight as they did initially, the game would have looked vastly different.
In the last, they indeed played out of their skins, and matched us with intensity and pressure.
Was impressed however how we clawed the lead back when they got 2 goals up. We ramped up the pressure intensity to maximum, but they were able to equal it. They have some very good players.
Harvey Harrison, come on down. Surely plays a full game next week.
Disappointing to only draw, and this is down to the horrible first quarter start.

If they're kicking "miracle goals" out of their arses, that's on us. Our starts have been awful. A flag's a flag. A second flag is what defines character.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 pm

Collingwouldn't wrote:

If they're kicking "miracle goals" out of their arses, that's on us. Our starts have been awful. A flag's a flag. A second flag is what defines character.

By definition, if they are pulling miracle goals out of their arses, it is not on us. It is on the gods, dumb luck, random probability, maybe even the nature of their arses.....you name it.
Under normal conditions, without dumb luck, they would not have kicked 4 goals in 8 minutes.
But what God giveth in the first quarter, God then declined to keep giving for the rest of the game.
The rest of the game was played out with parity...a great contest. But they had a critical headstart, due in many respects to luck.
I agree though that our first quarter start was horrible, and is why dumb luck was able to kick in.

Last edited by Magpietothemax on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 pm

Bitter. Twisted. Gutted. Upbeat. We played so badly and nearly got there. Man Essendon should go on a bender tonight. Whatever. We had 3-4 contributors. And then daylight. I feel more upbeat about the Carlton game than if we’d won this one easily. Sadly time to give Sidey a break. Harrison in. Reef sub. Starting midfield next week Pendles, Daics and Degoey. We were rubbish today, and still should have put them away. We dust ourselves off and move on
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:58 pm

Pete 70 wrote:
Bitter. Twisted. Gutted. Upbeat. We played so badly and nearly got there. Man Essendon should go on a bender tonight. Whatever. We had 3-4 contributors. And then daylight. I feel more upbeat about the Carlton game than if we’d won this one easily. Sadly time to give Sidey a break. Harrison in. Reef sub. Starting midfield next week Pendles, Daics and Degoey. We were rubbish today, and still should have put them away. We dust ourselves off and move on

Think sullivan should be sub.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 pm

OH Boy, the match day thread must have been a real hoot, when we were again 5 goals down, some dickhead calling for Fly to be sacked, again was there ?? Look, we fought back , again, was not a pretty match, but we hung in there, Dons were doing that edge shit, desperate, and we hung in there. Im satisfied, take 2 points, draws beat the hell out of a loss. Now we can re load and get ready for the Bluebellies, who have not played yet.so take the two points, im happy, and run with it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:03 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
People say we got nothing in the reserves but they wont get to AFL level rotting in the reserves. It’s about time our conservative selection policies were given a long hard look. Surely we can balance the mix of old and new going forward?

Under normal circumstances I’d agree with you but geez I watched the seconds last week and the lack of depth was appalling. I’ll be interested in knowing who you reckon deserves to come in?

For a start keep Harrison and Reef in the side. Both have good upsides but we wont see it develop in the reserves. Well we might see it with Reef when he walks due to lack of opportunity. That wont be a good look.

If we do have no real depth then thats on Hine and Co isn't it? To my mind he has been around too long and often recruits the same sort of medium sized young players - fast but with average skills, and the majority of them dont make it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:04 pm

I feel we were lucky to get the 2 pts. I'll take it.

I thought Sidey should have been subbed instead of Mitchell, but for all we know Mitchell may have been completely buggered.

As others have noted, we are getting smashed at centre clearances, which means we are always on the back foot. I'm not sure we have got anything in the VFL which can rectify this glaring weakness, but we must do something.

Sadly, I think Sidey's days are numbered and he should make way for Harrison to come into the starting 22. Alternatively (or as well) I would also consider bringing Markov in and moving Noble onto the wing, replacing Sidey.

One thing's for sure, we need a couple of changes to our line-up if we are to do anything serious in September.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 pm

I actually think it was a great move to sub Titch off and keep Sidey on. Watching the last quarter, Sidey was involved in several chains of ball movement in defence and offence. I am sure Titch was taken off because he was exhausted, having played such a gigantic role against PA, and then fronting up only 5 days later.
Sidey had the energy still to take a few important actions.
This exposes our lack of inside midfield depth. I am totally frustrated/despairing that we don't have another pure inside mid - whom we consider to be at AFL level - to partner Titch.
It seems that we are not believing Fin to be up to the necessary standard.
So surely then we need to give Sullivan a chance.
If we cannot find a solution to this issue, there is no way we can go far into finals this year.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 pm

Meh game…draws are like rice crackers, very unsatisfying. Great take aways, missed opportunities.. but by both sides. A loss wouldve been criminal though.still many players down. I personally wouldve taken Sidey off gor Harrison at 3/4 time.(“ Crisp and to a lesser degree Degoey no real impact, Bobby in and out along with Billy. Still great pressure in patches. Dons were up and about and i reckon spent for next week. We have alot more upside still, would have loved McStay or Kruger down fwd today because i reckon mssrs Elliot, Shultz and Hill would have had a field day.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 pm

Cannot figure all the negative shit on here re the upcoming Bluescum match. Sure they have improved, granted, but the Lions should have beaten them, and the Tigers too, and the Crows did beat the bastards. The Cats may well put them to the sword too, we have extra rest over the Bluebellies. They dont scare me, stuff em, we will be more than ready for them.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

Lucky to get a Draw.

We where Terrible in Final Qtr

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

Not sure why posters are still saying McStay would make Collingwood great again, (MCGA), he is out for the year, so what is the point?
The main issue is our midfield.
We are getting smashed in clearances.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Lucky to get a Draw.

We where Terrible in Final Qtr

Didn't think we were terrible in Final Qr.
They were extremely good - credit where due.
They got two goals up, and we clawed it back.
It was the same Collingwood refusal to lose. And we succeeded again.
However, yes, we are struggling.

Our midfield lacks in and under power. Mitchell can't do it by himself.
And we don't seem to be able to start the game with the necesary energy and intensity.

I dont think overall we were lucky to get the draw. We would have been unlucky to lose.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:51 pm

In retrospect, we should have introduced fresh legs today.

Harrison might have been a better choice starting off than Sidey but the cupboard was pretty bare in the VFL outside of that.

Perhaps WHE goes to a wing next week, Harrison begins forward and Sidey is the sub.How does Finn Macrae fit into the picture??

The loss of McStay has left a chasm in the forward half and, even though he was injury prone, Taylor Adams is sorely missed around the contest.

It is a shame that De Mattea is injured and Krueger is seemingly in the injury ward all the time. Jath is talented but very raw physically. It would appear that Richards and Carmichael are not considered up to it.

Given our poor clearance effort today, is it possible that ned Long will come onto the list at the Mid-Season draft?? At 194cms and 90kgs, he certainly has the size- is he good enough??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: