Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies tie Dons. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely should start HH next week.
I thought he was a chance this week, but after his performance in the last qr, we definitely need to give him a full game.
We need antoher inside mid to support Mitchell.
Is Sullivan the one?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
What the result showed. yet again, is how good the Coach's gameplan is - we were thrashed everywhere, except on the scoreboard. The two points is a good get-out from what should have been a thrashing. It's actually remarkable that the team came back from it's early stupor. Too many players down - it's a wonder it was even a contest.

Great post

Someone else mentioned we had 3 games in 12 days and now 2 in 5! Any other Premier ever cop this shit!

And whoever above said bruzzy looks fat no that’s a perfect specific a man Thankyou very much!

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:31 pm

Whatever. 2 points is as good as 4. Out sub-100 percentage ain’t growing enough to make a difference due to our lack of firepower and tall timber, so the draw is as good as a win in the grand scheme of things.

5 day turnaround was telling. Only their accuracy early kept them in it. But damage was done early, and playing catch up all game takes its toll. Mihocek usually snags every snap, just one of those days. Not scoring the final 13:11 after taking the lead is weird, but so is not conceding a single score too (until they shank kick found an in manned Langford). Plenty of positives, perhaps not winning was a blessing in disguise.

One of the toughest draws to star a season in living memory. Still a long way to go.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 am

Mitchell, Degoey, Naicos - supported by handy 4th options.

On paper is good ,

Just for the halibut:
1. Is Mitchel too one dimensional?, hard ball gets, but he does accentuate a contest imo.
Considering a player who's natural tendency is to keep his feet, break free more often, even half a metre could be beneficial, potentially giving that second player more room to operate..(i.e Parish)

or

2. do we just need a new regular 4th gun.
Pendles is 36, and Crisp not his core position... Do we thin out too much when one of the 3 is rested.

or

3. Is it our play in the middle which needs improvement.

But FMD, my kingdom for gun KF lol
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:41 am

May as well bring in Parker next week for Sidebottom,

Maybe Steele can have a send off against North, even he couldn’t cost us that one…
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 am

Mixed emotions. Both teams will feel it's bullet dodged or a missed opportunity to win depending on how one interprets the match.

Langford missed a gettable set shot, which was a massive relief. However, the number of easy opportunities we squandered in front of goal was infuriating. I was actually shellshocked by Mihocek's two set shots in the final quarter that were both out on the full. Never seen anything like that from him before.

Our clearance/stoppage game is a real weakness in the team. Essendon won centre clearances 19-8, so it's a real deficiency we've had for a long time. Most of our scores are generated off turnovers, especially in the front half this year which is in contrast to last year where a lot of our scores were coming from the back half and we were able to smoothly transition through the corridor. As long as the stoppage game remains a weakness, we'll unfortunately have tight tussles like we did today.

Our turnover game still looks strong which is the good news, and ultimately Premiership sides are the ones that have a strong turnover game rather than a brilliant stoppage/clearance game. The pressure being applied to Essendon's defenders by Hill, Schultz, Elliott, McCreery etc was excellent for the most part. They were good in closing down space and forcing turnovers which was generating scores for us particularly in the second quarter when we ramped up the pressure.

The 5-day break was always a concern for mine. I suspect a lot of supporters underestimated it, but some of our big performing players from Saturday such as WHE, Mitchell and Sidebottom looked a little flat today. Another rotation or two on top of adding Harrison into the team might have been worthwhile with the benefit of hindsight.

The season is far from over, but there's plenty of work to be done. We're in a dogfight to get into the 8 and push for a top 4 spot.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Definitely should start HH next week.
I thought he was a chance this week, but after his performance in the last qr, we definitely need to give him a full game.
We need antoher inside mid to support Mitchell.
Is Sullivan the one?

Harrison deserves another chance next week. Provided us some spark and energy in the last quarter, and he knows how to find the goals.

I wonder whether it's time to bring back Markov who can provide us with that run and carry. Noble has effectively taken his spot at this stage, but it's something match committee might contemplate doing depending on how he performs in the VFL this weekend.

Fin Macrae to support Mitchell might be another option. Macrae always seems to perform well at VFL level, but has failed to transition successfully to the seniors over the years.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 am

warburton lad wrote:
The loss of McStay has left a chasm in the forward half.

The loss of McStay is significant for structural purposes. It's placed an extra burden on Mihocek and forcing him to take the opposition #1 tall defender most weeks, when Checkers was always a third tall in reality.

When McStay started playing with continuity last year, he was averaging 2 goals per game, so his absence shouldn't be lost on us.

I always hold out some hope that if his recovery and rehabilitation is on track, he might be a late entry into the season come finals (assuming we qualify).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:01 am

Fly's presser

You've been involved in some epic games in the last few years, that must be up there?
Quote:
"Yeah, what a great game of footy. On a day like today when most of the footy world would be watching, it was a great spectacle of our game".

How do you sum up the game after that?
Quote:
"It's a weird feeling. To be honest, I haven't been involved in one [a draw] as a coach, so it's a weird feeling in what messages to give. I still think there's a lot of positivity in what we were able to do. We came up against a really good team today. Their stoppage stuff is as good as we've played this year and they got a hold of us early. They've got some really good players in their team and threats forward of the play, so when you give teams a chance; they kicked 4 goals before we blinked. Again, it's two weeks in a row when we've shown great resolve and ability to stay in the present and find our way back into the game".

Have you worked out in your own head to what degree you go with a glass half full or glass half empty feeling?
Quote:
"I normally go home and watch the replay with a red wine, but I might have have a white [wine] tonight. I don't know how to feel to be honest. Again, we're not going backwards, I suppose we're going forwards. That half a game we don't know what it means for us, the outcome of that. It's still too early to tell on that. We played against a good opposition and we found a way to fight back. I think both teams will sit in this and watch back the game, it will be 'what about that moment; or that moment or what about that'. Both teams had them, and it was a probably a fair result in the end".

What about the first 15 minutes of the match when Essendon kicked the first 4 goals. What do you think happened there?
Quote:
"Smashed at stoppage".

Were you not switched on or were Essendon supercharged?
Quote:
"It's all about centre bounce clearances and then contests and then energy. It's two weeks in a row, we had to fight our way back into it. I do believe that the longer I've been involved in footy that games are not won in a quarter, so there's a level of comfort but it's how far the margin is. It was pretty much similar to last week, I think it was 6 goals to 2 or something. In that regard, we don't want to start games like that. That's not what I'm saying, but teams will get their momentum and we've got some work to do around that space".

Jamie Elliott's mark?
Quote:
"I had a good vantage point to it. It was sort of right in front of my eyes. I thought he jumped too early, but what an incredible athlete he is. I'd seen him do that at training way back when he first got drafted and I thought 'God, this guy can seriously launch at the ball'. I think that's a contender isn't it and it looked remarkable from ground level. I haven't seen a replay, so I'm looking forward to seeing that".

Were you surprised that Elliott couldn't hold onto that mark in the end given his record in close games?
Quote:
"It would have been one of those stories of 'Jamie's done it again, he's taken the mark'. Whether he would have kicked it, that's a space we don't live in. I know one thing, we won't review the game of what ifs. I'm sure they [Essendon] will have just as many as us. 'What if Langford kicks that goal late or what if...'. We don't live in that space. We'll work on the things that we can really control, around probably centre bounces will be a big focus for us and then others part of that".

What about the overall pressure rating? That's what turned the Port Adelaide game around and do you feel it turned this game around as well?
Quote:
"Yeah, I put the number up at Quarter Time. We spoke about it before the game".

What was the pressure rating if you could share?
Quote:
"It was 169 or something like that for us, which is below average. That's not something we want to associate with our pressure being below average. There's a style of game that can inflate or deflate that number. We spoke before the game if it's that sort of number, what's the game look like. Those things are somewhat in our control, but the opposition were playing really well".

How was Jamie [Elliott] after the game? Have you spoken to him?
Quote:
"Yeah briefly just on the ground. There's many that probably think "what if I did that', and again I don't want to live in that space. I did say to him that 'mate, for every one thing you thought you didn't do well, I can give you 10 that you did do well'. I like to live in that space".

It was a quieter game by Steele Sidebottom, but he was important in the last few minutes of the match. How did you see his game?
Quote:
"Steele is important to us when he's playing his role. A really hard runner. There are a lot of things unseen that he does for us. Unrewarded running, saves goals, gets back to support some others. There's plenty of more life left in those legs we hope".

Another great speech by Darcy Moore post game. Does it feel like he has found some rhythm on the field with reading the ball really well?
Quote:
"That's two years in a row where I haven't been able to hear his speech, so I'm looking forward to hearing that back. There's a reverb in the ground, so I couldn't hear it. I'll take that for what it is, I'm sure he would have represented us really well as he always does. Darcy at his best comes forward and marks the ball and gets good starting position on his opponent. We saw that today. I thought it was one of his best games of the year".

What's your view of the 'Draw vs Extra Time' debate?
Quote:
"I actually said that to the security guard after the game, 'I bet they will start talking about extra time and what it looks like'. We fought for 120 minutes and couldn't find a margin. I'll leave that up to others to decide whether we need more time. It was a great game".

Was the draw a fair result?
Quote:
"I would have thought so. They [Essendon] had great momentum and then we got some back. Then it was an arm wrestle after Half Time really wasn't it. This game is always going to be about moments and managing those and how you handle situations. We haven't lost a close game for a while, so I don't know how to put that".

Isn't today's draw a just result and one people will be satisfied with?
Quote:
"Yeah, I think we're just not sure how to act. I give permission to be happy, I gave permission to our guys to still be positive because there was a lot we did well, but we've got work to do. That's like every week. Maybe we're not sure how to act. The crowd doesn't know how to act. The siren goes, I don't know what to do. Do I high five people? I just made sure I got to Brad Scott and tell him how good the game was and acknowledge the job he's doing is fantastic. Their group looks strong, they're going to be hard to beat".

That last minute where both teams get a chance to win, are you playing to win?
Quote:
"Yeah, we're always playing to win. We learnt some good lessons a couple of years ago when scores were level. We had set up into a structure that was probably too much forward of the ball to try and win the game. When the scores were level, we had a different structure to what we've been in the past, but that's here and there because it was only a minute to go".

Any injuries?
Quote:
"No, we're in good order. Touch wood. We had a 5-day break and I said to the players afterwards that you wouldn't know. We fought to the last second. Jarrod Wade's done an incredible job with our high performance team and our players are really fit and well. It's only early, it's Round 7 even if it's bit hard to work it out [what Round it is]. We're fit and well at this stage".

Anzac Day is always an amazing occasion. Can you give us some insight on what it's like to stand on the MCG. You were pretty emotional coming off.
Quote:
"Yeah, it just got me. I just allowed it to get in. I wanted to be really present to it. Those singers did an incredible job, well done girls you were amazing and the bugle, oh she nailed that. I was just really present to it, and I just let it in and it just got me. I won't go into detail why, but the day is a really special one for a lot of people around the country. I just wanted to show my respect towards it. I'm just being me".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1538567/theres-a-lot-of-positivity-mcrae?videoId=1538567&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1714035170001

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I feel we were lucky to get the 2 pts. I'll take it.

I thought Sidey should have been subbed instead of Mitchell, but for all we know Mitchell may have been completely buggered.

As others have noted, we are getting smashed at centre clearances, which means we are always on the back foot. I'm not sure we have got anything in the VFL which can rectify this glaring weakness, but we must do something.

Sadly, I think Sidey's days are numbered and he should make way for Harrison to come into the starting 22. Alternatively (or as well) I would also consider bringing Markov in and moving Noble onto the wing, replacing Sidey.

One thing's for sure, we need a couple of changes to our line-up if we are to do anything serious in September.

Rude don’t say that you’ll mocked and ridiculed

Seriously one thing we’ve learned this season is our 2 or 3 veterans can’t back up on 5 day breaks
I was surprised we didn’t sit one of them and use one as the sub and use fresh young legs
People keep banging on that players aren’t killing it in the VFL which is fair enough but history is littered with players being brought into the AFL team (generally via injury) who haven’t been playing well in the VFL and lifting in the AFL
Frampton wasn’t killing it in the VFL late last season but look what he did GF day and how he’s gone at FB since he moved there
Heck when Sidey got his call up in 2009 he wasn’t killing it in the VFL
McCaffer even got a debut before him
We won’t know what these kids bring if we don’t give them a extended run
We can’t drop all the veterans and really only Pendles Howe Elliott and Checkers (of the veterans) have performed close to expectations consistently to warrant there spots
I’m prepared to bet sideys gps data will show he run miles again last night but at 3/4 time when you’ve had 3 or 4 touches you not worth your spot in the team
A few soft touches in the last term doesn’t make up for it
Interesting in flys presser last night he was asked about Sidey
He was at pains to say he did important team things and covers a load of ground
But as someone who’s studied body language his eyes moved left and head went slightly down and he broke eye contact with the questioner which generally means mild deception
Now he may have had a sore neck who knows but if the coach believes that performance is acceptable then I’m at a lose to understand how we ever won a premiership
My ole sparring partner made a great point in a earlier post
We lost every meaningful stat but held on for a draw
It seems our systems and his (and the assistants) coaching nuisances during the game are vital.
We’ve made it difficult for ourselves now going forward for finals.
Let’s see how the next couple weeks go and then see what direction the club goes
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 am

Who keeps the Anzac trophy I assume Collingwood keeps it as they won last years Anzac Day match
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I feel we were lucky to get the 2 pts. I'll take it.

I thought Sidey should have been subbed instead of Mitchell, but for all we know Mitchell may have been completely buggered.

As others have noted, we are getting smashed at centre clearances, which means we are always on the back foot. I'm not sure we have got anything in the VFL which can rectify this glaring weakness, but we must do something.

Sadly, I think Sidey's days are numbered and he should make way for Harrison to come into the starting 22. Alternatively (or as well) I would also consider bringing Markov in and moving Noble onto the wing, replacing Sidey.

One thing's for sure, we need a couple of changes to our line-up if we are to do anything serious in September.

I hate seeing Mitchell subbed out. Especially on a day like yesterday where we were getting slaughtered in the clearances.

It should have been one of Sidey or Schultz, with my preference being Sidey who looked cooked off a 5 day break. McCreery and WHE could also have been subbed but both have leg speed.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 am

hindsight always provides 20/20 vision.

Could we have, perhaps, swapped Sidey and Hoskin-Ellliott positionally at half time yesterday??

Hoskin-Elliott is a great endurance runner and Sidebottom has the capacity to jag a goal or two forward.

Of course, if Mihocek kicks a point from either of those last quarter attempts or Elliott holds that final mark, the above is moot...

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am

On our list but not playing yesterday:

McStay- definite first 22 player
De Mattea- just a kid, but has a bright future
Jath- as per De Mattea
Steene- project player but has potential- retain
Krueger- has talent but body fragility persists
McInnes- definite potential- would love to see him given time as a mid
Macrae- see McInnes
Ryan- nothing special to date
Richards- very fine VFL player
Begg- not big enough to ruck- perhaps he could play forward and pinch-hit in the ruck in the AFL- must be given an opportunity at some stage.
Eyre- wait and see- may be a Hackman but needs to be tried forward
Sullivan- ball magnet- is he the Mitchell replacement??
Markov- must, must, must play AFL- and yep, he and Noble can co-exist in the same side
Parker- I suggest he will debut around Round 14- has a lot of skill and pace attributes any side needs
Bytel- a hand-me-down from St Kilda- has great running endurance but is that enough.
Carmichael- we need an inside mid and he hasn't been able to break into the 23- can kick a goal- might be a handy sub.
Allen- has the outside pace we will need to stay competitive- please trial him Pies.
Dean- is the likely Howe replacement and may find himself back in the 23 as we progress through the year.

If we are to rise up the ladder and contest finals in 2024, it will only be with the infusion of grunt, pace and youth into the 23.

AFL Legend, David Parkin once wrote that Premiership teams need to introduce around 4 players into their team the following year to retain their competitive edge- (this was when there were only 20 players in a team).

I am warming to the idea that Ned Long a 21 year old, 194cm and 89 kg mid
will be drafted in the mid-year draft- the longer term list deficiencies will need to be addressed at season's end.

We have quite a war-chest if Sidebottom, Howe, Cox and Pendlebury retire.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 am

Just for fun I stuck the post-match comments into Chat GPT -

Version 1

The post-match feedback conveys a mixture of sentiments, primarily centered around frustration and analysis of tactical errors, but with a notable vein of constructive criticism and forward-looking suggestions. The general tone reflects dissatisfaction with the team's performance, particularly in terms of game starts and midfield efficacy, compounded by what many see as underutilization of younger talent in the reserves.

Analysis of Performance:
The commentary consistently points out the team's inability to capitalize on early opportunities and a recurring theme of "miracle goals" by the opposition, which fans attribute to luck rather than strategic outmaneuvering. This perspective suggests a belief that the game's close outcome was more due to chance than the opponent's skill, highlighting a view that better execution could have yielded a win rather than a draw.

Strategic and Personnel Critiques:
Many comments focus on the need for tactical shifts, particularly the integration of younger players into the game to bring fresh energy and perspectives. There's a clear call for less conservative selection policies, with specific suggestions to replace older, underperforming players with new talent. This is intertwined with concerns about the physical readiness of veteran players, especially in games following short breaks, and the strategic use of substitutions during the game.

Forward-Looking Suggestions:
Suggestions for future games include starting younger players like Harrison and adjusting midfield strategies to better support key players who are currently overburdened. There is also an expressed desire for the coaching staff to be more dynamic in their game-day decisions, particularly concerning player rotation and in-game tactics.

Sentiment:
The overall sentiment, while critical and at times harsh, carries an undertone of hope and a desire for improvement. Fans express a readiness to move past this game, using it as a learning experience to foster better results in future contests. The feedback also contains elements of pride and attachment to the team, indicating that the emotional investment in the team's success is profound and enduring.

In summary, the feedback provides a comprehensive view of the fanbase's current state of mind: a blend of disappointment over the draw but with proactive discussions on how the team can adapt and improve. The focus is on tactical refinement, better utilization of the roster, and strategic in-game management to enhance the team's competitive edge moving forward.

Version 2

The feedback from the post-match commentary reveals a complex blend of frustration, critical analysis, and cautious optimism concerning the team's performance. Fans highlight dramatic swings in momentum and execution throughout the game, particularly pointing out the miraculous early goals by Essendon, which many attribute to luck. This perspective underscores a sense of missed opportunity and emphasizes perceived deficiencies in their own team's execution rather than the strengths of the opposition.

Criticism is mainly directed towards the team's lackluster start in the first quarter and the overall ineffective goal-kicking, elements that many fans believe could have shifted the result from a draw to a win. Moreover, there is a strong call for injecting fresh talent and making strategic adjustments, especially given concerns about the aging roster and the underperformance of key players. The lack of depth in the reserves, seen as necessary to bring vitality and fresh legs into the lineup, also emerges as a significant point of concern.

The detailed mention of specific incidents, such as missed free kicks and contentious substitution decisions, demonstrates the fans' deep engagement and critical scrutiny of tactical choices made during the game. This scrutiny extends to the coaching strategies, with many advocating for a more dynamic approach in giving younger players more significant game time and reevaluating the team's defensive tactics and conservative selection policies.

While there is evident disappointment over the draw and concern for the team's strategic direction, there is also a thread of resilience among the fans. Many express hope for a robust bounce-back in the next challenging game, reflecting both an attachment to the team and a demand for improved performance. The overarching sentiment calls for an evolution in how the team approaches matches, suggesting that past strategies may no longer suffice as other teams adapt and grow stronger.

In summary, the sentiment blends disappointment with proactive discussions on tactical refinement and better utilization of the roster. There's a clear desire among fans for the team to adapt and enhance its competitive edge moving forward, capturing both the passion for the sport and the deep commitment to seeing their team succeed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: