Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hooper Pulls Out

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:14 pm
Post subject: Hooper Pulls OutReply with quote

Hooper pulls out of West Indies test squad
Reuters - 7 April 2003

Carl Hooper, the former West Indies captain, pulled out of the squad on Monday to face Australia in the home test series starting on Thursday.

A West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) spokeswoman said that Hooper, replaced by Brian Lara as captain last month, had changed his mind and would not be playing against the world champions after initially being selected.

"This has been a difficult decision but one I felt must be made given the developments in recent weeks and the new direction the team is heading," a statement from Hooper of Guyana said.

"Though it's tempting to play, it would curtail the development of a younger player and, as I see it, also a backward step for West Indies cricket."

The squad announced last month included wholesale changes from the party which failed to progress past the opening group stage in the World Cup.

All rounder Hooper, 36, has played 102 tests for West Indies with a batting average of 36.46 and 49.42 with the ball.

He took over as skipper when Lara stepped down three years ago after West Indies were white-washed on a tour of New Zealand.

Australia will play four tests and seven one-day internationals, starting on April 10.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It really has. . .
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:39 am

Pulled out or was pushed???????? Shocked

TERRY
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:13 pm

Hooper Has a Change of Heart
WICB Media Release - 7 April 2003

Chairman of Selectors, Sir Vivian Richards has confirmed that former West Indies Captain, Carl Hooper told him today that he had reconsidered his decision to be available to play in the First Cable and Wireless Test against Australia and would therefore not play when the match bowls off on Thursday.

Sir Vivian said that he had previously delayed announcement of the final squad for the First Cable and Wireless Test while he awaited a response from Hooper about his willingness to continue playing for West Indies and his availability. Hooper had responded that he would be willing to play in the team and would be available for the First Test. He was therefore named as a member of the squad.

Sir Vivian said: "Even though I am surprised by Carl's change of heart, I want to wish him well in whatever he decides to do from here on. While he has not indicated that he has retired I still want to thank him for his service to the team and West Indies cricket."

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:36 am

What is going on????

Shocked

TERRY
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:01 pm

I Haven't Retired, says Hooper
11 April 2003

Axed West Indies captain, Carl Hooper, said on Thursday that he had not retired from international cricket and intended to fight his way back into the team.

Hooper, sacked as skipper after the World Cup, said he would not be available for the Test series against Australia and Sri Lanka.

"I want to remain active. I don't want to be out for too long," he added.

Hooper was replaced by Brian Lara as captain and then withdrew from the West Indies squad after being selected for the first Test against Australia, which started on Thursday in Georgetown, Guyana.

Chairman of selectors, Viv Richards, responded by saying he was not aware of Hooper's long-term plans but thanked him for his contribution to the West Indies cricket.

Hooper, speaking on the phone, said he had withdrawn from the squad for personal reasons but declined to discuss them, although he felt it was time for West Indies to select young talent.

He added he would consider playing in England if he was offered a county contract but was aiming to return for the West Indies for the tour to South Africa at the end of the year.

West Indies failed to reach the second round of the World Cup in South Africa in February-March.

Hooper has scored more than 5,000 runs and taken more than 100 wickets with his highly effective off spin in both Test and one-day cricket. He has played 102 Tests and 227 one-dayers.

It is the second time Hooper has opted not to play for the team. He went into a two-year self-imposed exile in 1999, never fully explaining why, before returning as captain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: