Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Geelong

Post by What'sinaname »

Hiss wrote:Geelong tonight is in a state of shock. Our King Bobby Davis is dead. He was too young and so suddenly! This is really sad news. It really is the end of that great trio of Jack Lou and now Bobby . All three have gone to that great World of Sport in the sky. RIP Bobby you legend.
Lou's still alive Hiss
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

lou is still alive and kicking. Lou might reach the age of his look a like George Burns.
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Oh

Post by Hiss »

Oh sorry I just checked. I retract! Lou is still alive! How embarrassing. I normally get things right about football issues and our Club. I hope this gaff does not get in the way of my ambition to be President.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
annewilo

Post by annewilo »

A very natural and unaffected man, was Bobby Davis. Very respected by his peers.

Very many happy memories of 'Hear no evil, speak no evil and see no evil".The three wise monkeys!!!

League Teams was the pre-cursor of the footy show and Seven losing the rights when Nine got them, stopped Bobby from continuing on what he loved to do on Rex's show. He was a 7 man, through and through.

And don't for one minute think he wasn't proud of Bomber Thompson. He loved those Geelong boys, even if he was a South Melbourne fan.

The banter between him, Dyer and Richards was priceless. World of Sport as well. He was spectacular.
The Knights of Abbotsford
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

Farewell to the Geelong Flyer. Bob Davis was one of the legends of the game. On TV Bob, Lou and Jack defined the way a whole generation looked at football.
Born and raised in Black and White
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I have my own little story on bobby davis, to show what type of guy this great bloke was. In 1995, Grand Final day, Bob was a commentator on radio 774 for the big game, his cats played the scum that day, and sadly lost-they were cheated out of it, but thats another story. Anyway, 774 had this pre game ten question quiz on, and my eldest boy rang up, and was the first caller thru. Bobby got on, and greeted him very warmly, then proceeded to ask him the ten questions. My son did really well, made it to number nine, got -they were footy trivia questiions, with me helping a bit-then he stumbled at no. ten. That jerk tim lane, wanted to gong him out, but Bob Davis said, " hang on a minute there Tim, this young feller has done very well, and im going to give him the prizes, because hes been fairdinkum unbelieveable. (yes, he said it.!!)

Bob Davis, a true gentleman, champion footballer, and a hell of a nice bloke to my son. Thanks Bob. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Yes, and our dear Lou is now the last man standing. League teams was a riot of a show. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

I remember when he was on rex hunts footy panel when he started bagging the brisbane bears or i think lions team. It was funny when he reached richard champions named and he said he should change his name by deed poll.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

I would like to see them change the name from Geelong Road to Bob Davis Highway. I believe it would be a nice way for his name and memory to live on past the current generations.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
spike

Post by spike »

I never had the pleasure of seeing him play. I have never lived in Victoria, so I had very little chance to see him on TV, but what I did see was priceless. A very funny man, true comedian, but never came out with the crud that others (Newman comes to mind) regaled us with. He will be and is already missed.
I'm a Magpie 'til I die.
Magpie Jack

Post by Magpie Jack »

Rest in Peace Bob Davis. League Teams was the most entertaining footy show ever made. I refuse to believe that this will happen to our Lou one day.
Bob Rose....the measuring stick of humanity
raymond35

Post by raymond35 »

GreekLunatic wrote:I remember when he was on rex hunts footy panel when he started bagging the brisbane bears or i think lions team. It was funny when he reached richard champions named and he said he should change his name by deed poll.
I remember that day too. Bob had seen the Bears the day before, i think against geelong, and his report on the game was the stuff of legends.
Reminds me of his comments during a goal of the day segment which were that funny rex Hunt was in hysterics and couldn't speak.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

RIP Bobby.

You were a true legend of the game.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
jack_spain

Re: Oh

Post by jack_spain »

Hiss wrote:Oh sorry I just checked. I retract! Lou is still alive! How embarrassing. I normally get things right about football issues and our Club. I hope this gaff does not get in the way of my ambition to be President.
It's alright Hiss, I'll still vote for you.

I hope Louie's not taking the loss of his friend too badly. It's that time of life when all your friends start disappearing, and one day you're gone too.

They don't make people like Bobby Davis anymore. :(
annewilo

Re: Oh

Post by annewilo »

My father at Lou's age used to read the funeral notices and obits every day in the paper to see if his name was in there.

He spent the good part of his last 10 years saying goodbye to people he knew and was a regular funeral goer.

On this topic, a friend of mine Nell, her ex and father to her son, Bill Hunter is very ill. If you are the type for prayers, please include him in yours over the weekend. I saw Nell only last week and she told me about his illness, but asked me to keep it quiet as he didn't want anyone to know. Bloody journalists will suck out a story somehow.
The Knights of Abbotsford