Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Black_White

Post by Black_White »

tomoleary wrote:^ Both came out to Australia at a similar time, at a similar age to play footy. Strange that they'd both get cancer at such a young age. I'm just saying it's a bit odd.
2 very different types of cancer though.
Rich, poor, healthy, sick, cancer does not discriminate.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Aint tht the truth.

RIP Sean,

keep fighting Jim, your a medical miricle, and a marvel, my mum had 1 tumor taken out of her brain, it is so hard on your body, what he has coped with....

To all those in the battle, fight on, and may God fight with you....
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpie Jack

Post by Magpie Jack »

Very Sad.

One thing we can all do when we have a few spare dollars is make a donation to cancer research.

http://www.acrf.com.au/

Condolences to the Wight family and the Melb Footy Club
Bob Rose....the measuring stick of humanity
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Vale Alan Jeans

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Coaching great Allan Jeans dies
Will Brodie
July 13, 2011 - 9:05AM

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 1hctt.html

Legendary former St Kilda, Hawthorn and Richmond coach Allan Jeans has passed away at the age of 77. Jeans had been suffering from fibrosis of the lungs and had been in palliative care.

Jeans coached St Kilda to its only premiership in 1966, and led the Saints in 332 games between 1961 and 1976. he had taken over the club at the age of 28. He had played 77 games for the Saints between 1955 and 1959.

His reign at Hawthorn between 1981 and 1990 (he missed 1988 through illness) yielded premierships in 1983, 1986 and 1989.

Jeans also coached Richmond in 1992.

An emotional Dermott Brereton this morning spoke of Jeans as being a father figure. "He was just an extraordinary man," Brereton told SEN radio.

"I spoke to him about 48 hours ago and I knew it was the last time I was ever going to speak to him and its a really sad thing when somebody who has had such a profound effect on your life says good bye to you in a way and you know it's the last time..."

Brereton compared talking to Jeans to talking to his Dad.

"I told him that from 15 years of age I heard his voice more than my own father's for the next ten, 12 years, you know five, six days a wek, 90% of it was not about football, it was about life, and how you conducted yourself."

He described Jeans as "the most morally sound man I have ever come across" and one of only three "great" people he had met through football.

Western Bulldogs coach and former Hawthorn star Rodney Eade said 'Yabby' Jeans had a profound effect on players, who saw an empathetic side to his character, as well as the hard and ruthless manner exhibited publicly.

"Everyone he came into contact with he had a profound effect (upon)... Apart from being a good coach he was a terriffic person and he spoke sense... He had a great ability to motivate people even though you probably didn't think he was motivating you."

He said Jeans had a "terriffic sense of humour" which he hid from the public and was a great orator, despite his mild demeanour.

Eade said Jeans' "character, hard work, honesty" had a huge impact on Hawthorn players.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z1Rw5Z84XR
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Very sad. A great man. Condolences to those close to him.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

RIP Allan Jeans

He coached both of our last two Premiership coaches , Leigh Matthews and Michael Malthouse
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
neds elbow

Post by neds elbow »

To me he will always be remembered as the man who told O'Dea to stop Greening
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

Here we go.
************ANTI SIG************
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

neds elbow wrote:To me he will always be remembered as the man who told O'Dea to stop Greening
^
Side by side we Stick together
tomoleary

Post by tomoleary »

Well, I can only say I knew him as a great football figure.

I only started really watching footy in the 90's though, so I don't have a really strong recollection of him.

He obviously stirred up some strong emotions in you: Ned's Elbow and Fencebanger.

"Hope you can be forgiven for your sins," Allan. ;)
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I think it would be appropriately respectful in a thread titled "vale Allan Jeans" that we keep the posts to tributes and condolences. The other stuff is for another thread/time.

RIP Allan Jeans.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

Deja Vu wrote:I think it would be appropriately respectful in a thread titled "vale Allan Jeans" that we keep the posts to tributes and condolences. The other stuff is for another thread/time.

RIP Allan Jeans.
you'd think so.

rip allan jeans.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

RIP Allan Jeans. Great coach and a great man.
Go Pies !!!!
annewilo

Post by annewilo »

Deja Vu wrote:I think it would be appropriately respectful in a thread titled "vale Allan Jeans" that we keep the posts to tributes and condolences. The other stuff is for another thread/time.

RIP Allan Jeans.
Sad to hear. And yes, the other stuff for another time.

I thought I saw him at the Hawthorn game the other day, sitting in front of Kennett? Did anyone else see him? He certainly looked frail but wasn't aware he was a week away from this.
The Knights of Abbotsford
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

That was John Kennedy