Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

RIP Jeans
Condolences to the family
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Sampan90

Post by Sampan90 »

I always liked Alan Jeans. I was a teenager in the 80s when Hawthorn were great and the Maggies, weren't so hot. A mate of mine used to go to Hawks training most weeks, and I'd tag alone. His Dad used to buy me a cheeseburger from "Maccas" on the way home in his Holden with no shock absorbers. I had a soft spot for the Hawks in those days (although the day we beat the Hawks in the first round of '89 was a long trip home in a car full of Hawks supporters - lots of swearing... I was the only black and white supporter in the car).

Jeans was a modest man. When they flogged the Bombers in the '83 GF he told his men to be humble because there were losers in the other room. Having said that, he was also ruthless as a coach.

One of my favourite memories was his reaction to Brereton going down after Yeates in the '89 GF.

My other favourite memory comes from the old World of Sport days. It's highlighted in the "Heart OF The Game" DVD: Peter McKenna was interviewing him after the Mathews-Bruns incident, and asking him about the "thuggery" involved. Jeans' language, tone and piercing eyes tore a hole right through McKenna. Classic.

I'm a huge football fan. I love the theatre.

Jeans was a great of the game. Just like Bobby. Jack. Coleman. Smith.

May he rest in peace. Wherever you are Jeans... you've done good.
piepower

Post by piepower »

neds elbow wrote:To me he will always be remembered as the man who told O'Dea to stop Greening
Totally agree.
Premiers 2010
Ah Tibor

Post by Ah Tibor »

die4pies wrote:Almost 39 years to the day that he gave the order for the worst act of premeditated criminal thuggery to have been witnessed on a sporting field.

No matter how much people think Jeans gave to the game it will never equal what he took from it.

Rot in hell you coward.
Every coach back then would have said similar words at some point, it was how the game was played back then. As a poster said, it was O'Dea that king-hit him. He unfortunately got him too good.

Such comments say more about you than Jeans.
.....how many times you've saved my butt....
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

John Wren wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:I think it would be appropriately respectful in a thread titled "vale Allan Jeans" that we keep the posts to tributes and condolences. The other stuff is for another thread/time.
RIP Allan Jeans.
you'd think so.
rip allan jeans.
Why? If you cause misery in life, you get to be glorified in death, and get to rest peacefully forever after, is that the idea :roll:
Side by side we Stick together
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Condolences to the family.

Jeans was a great man of footy and had a huge impact on the game.

Some very sad and inappropriate posts in this thread.
Well done boys!
Magpies Nest

Post by Magpies Nest »

AN_Inkling wrote: Some very sad and inappropriate posts in this thread.
Definitely a lamentable side to human nature in evidence, I agree. Anybody who seriously thinks that Jeans ordered O'Dea to take John Greening within an inch of his life has sh*t for brains. Those who want to thrash that water to foam yet again should, as has been suggested previously, take it elsewhere. Jeans clearly touched a lot of people in a hugely positive way, including our own coach, and anyone who glories in his passing is not, in my view, havng one of their finest moments.

Condolences to the Jeans family.
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

No. It's rather that others are glorifying someone who doesn't deserve it. Let's get real.
Side by side we Stick together
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

Magpies Nest wrote:
Definitely a lamentable side to human nature in evidence, I agree. Anybody who seriously thinks that Jeans ordered O'Dea to take John Greening within an inch of his life has sh*t for brains. Those who want to thrash that water to foam yet again should, as has been suggested previously, take it elsewhere. Jeans clearly touched a lot of people in a hugely positive way, including our own coach, and anyone who glories in his passing is not, in my view, havng one of their finest moments.

+1 Every person has some regrets - not everything goes to plan.

There is no doubting Alan Jeans was a remarkable mentor to many people.

RIP Yabby and thank you
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpies Nest wrote:

FWIW I sincerely doubt if Odea acted alone, with no hatched plan or plot. Like saying Lee Oswald acted alone in Dallas, just does not add up. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Magpies Nest wrote:

+1 Every person has some regrets - not everything goes to plan.

There is no doubting Alan Jeans was a remarkable mentor to many people.

RIP Yabby and thank you
+2

phew, almost lost faith in humanity for a moment there...

Always admired yabby, probably my favourite non Collingwood coach.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
didaksrightfoot

Post by didaksrightfoot »

fence-banger wrote:No. It's rather that others are glorifying someone who doesn't deserve it. Let's get real.
I was only born in the early 80's, so was too young to follow footy when Jeans was at his best - but his record speaks for itself.

Whatever Jeans' role was in the Greening incident - it was just that, one incident. And unfortunately, there are multiple similar stories from sports around the world in that era - and with most of them, I highly doubt anyone wanted to cause serious damage (beyond forcing someone to sit out the game)
Im not condoning what happened - but I dont think a king-hit behind play would really have been that out of the ordinary for footy at the time. (others who were alive then may disagree - fair enough)... go look through the archives of the NBA or FA football (among many others).

But you have to put that in the perspective of a whole career: Jeans has one of the best coaching records in AFL history.
Even his most ardent opposer has to acknowledge that.

(It may not be the same level - but imagine the Collingwood outcry if when Malthouse retires - all we hear from opposing fans is that he is scum because of what he called Milne?)

RIP Jeans - your value to footy will long be remembered.
Sampan90

Post by Sampan90 »

Is any club innocent? Did Malthouse tell Burns to run down Brown in the '03 Grand Final? Doubt it.
Magpies Nest

Post by Magpies Nest »

Piesnchess wrote: FWIW I sincerely doubt if Odea acted alone, with no hatched plan or plot. Like saying Lee Oswald acted alone in Dallas, just does not add up. :?
Just to clarify, I don't disagree with you PNC, I meant that whilst he may have told O'Dea to fix Greening up, i don't believe his intention would have been for JG to be almost killed.

And Fence Banger, if you feel so strongly about it, start a separate thread and let's discuss there.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpies Nest wrote:
Piesnchess wrote: FWIW I sincerely doubt if Odea acted alone, with no hatched plan or plot. Like saying Lee Oswald acted alone in Dallas, just does not add up. :?
Just to clarify, I don't disagree with you PNC, I meant that whilst he may have told O'Dea to fix Greening up, i don't believe his intention would have been for JG to be almost killed.

And Fence Banger, if you feel so strongly about it, start a separate thread and let's discuss there.
Yeah fair enough, no doubt Jeans thought Odea-if he was in on it-to just put him out of the game, but dumbarse Odea used his thuggery brute strength as a lelthal weapon, and nearly killed JG. I do recall Jeans looking like a mournful lost dog on World of Sport the day after, he looked very concerned and down. Tho i cant figure out why he went along with thug Odea being made a life member, then again, maybe they did that when Jeans was at the Hawks later on. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.