What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

David wrote:Put on Primary Colours by Eddie Current Suppression Ring in the car today. One of the really good Australian albums of the last few years.
It is excellent, as is the first one. I was disappointed by Rush To Relax though.

PS it's Eddy.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Peter Griffin wrote:None of us are listening to anything new. Gee I wonder why :roll:
we're all old

the new stuff is shit!!

ill 2nd the cold chisel!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Pied Piper wrote:
David wrote:Put on Primary Colours by Eddie Current Suppression Ring in the car today. One of the really good Australian albums of the last few years.
It is excellent, as is the first one. I was disappointed by Rush To Relax though.

PS it's Eddy.
Oops. :oops:

I agree, by the way. Put RTR on as well, and apart from a few songs it just wasn't grabbing me. Why do you think they changed their sound so much?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
annewilo

Post by annewilo »

Pies4shaw wrote:Jorge Bolet playing his 1953 Remington recording of Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No 2 in G Minor. This has just been transferred by Appian Publications & Recordings and appears for the first time ever on CD ("Jorge Bolet: His Earliest Recordings", APR 6009). I paid a small fortune to buy a scratchy old record of the Prokofiev from the US a couple of years ago, so, as ever, my timing is impeccable.

The set also includes Bolet's other 1953 Remington recording (Chopin's 4 Scherzi) and his two 1952 LPs for Boston ("Airs of Spain" and "Recital Favourites"). Saint-Saens, Moszkowski, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Beethoven, Lecuona, Granados, Falla, Albeniz, Prokofiev and Chopin, rendered beyond brilliantly by a man some (well, me, anyway) say was the greatest pianist ever recorded.

If you want to hear what actual genius sounds like when it's directed at a grand piano, you should listen to this.
More of a Beethoven person myself. His 7 Allegretto 2 is the favourite part of any symphony for hubby and I. We used to go and see and hear it performed at Albert Hall whenever it came up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOxOgm5jQ4

I assume then that you, like I, were raised on piano lessons fom an early age. I can tell in your choice of Chopin and Liszt.
The Knights of Abbotsford
annewilo

Post by annewilo »

^couldn't find the 53 on youtube.
The Knights of Abbotsford
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

David wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:

PS it's Eddy.
Oops. :oops:

I agree, by the way. Put RTR on as well, and apart from a few songs it just wasn't grabbing me. Why do you think they changed their sound so much?
I don't think they changed their sound a great deal, really. I think it's the songwriting that's the problem - a couple of long ones that wear out their welcome, a couple of short ones that don't really justify their existence, and three or four others (I'm sure you can pick them) that are completely half-baked and just don't go anywhere at all. Plus a couple of crackers that would have made a great 7" single. I can see why they've decided to take a break.
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

think positive wrote:
Peter Griffin wrote:None of us are listening to anything new. Gee I wonder why :roll:
we're all old

the new stuff is shit!!

So when did you stop listening?

I listen to mostly old stuff too, but every era has produced good stuff; you've just got to find it, and that takes time and effort, especially as there's so much crap to wade through (but it was ever thus).

Eddy Current (discussed above) are a fantastic band from Melbourne. If you were at the GF, one of their songs featured prominently in the warm-up.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I will let you know when I become a at the GF one of their songs featured prominently in the warm-up.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Pied Piper wrote:
think positive wrote:
we're all old

the new stuff is shit!!

So when did you stop listening?

I listen to mostly old stuff too, but every era has produced good stuff; you've just got to find it, and that takes time and effort, especially as there's so much crap to wade through (but it was ever thus).

Eddy Current (discussed above) are a fantastic band from Melbourne. If you were at the GF, one of their songs featured prominently in the warm-up.
When my deafness got to a level that meant I could not understand the words - and when bands started to run their words together, making it impossible for me - I stopped learning new songs I guess.

I was at the GF but high up, sound quality crap, even for those around me who could hear!

There has been some I like, that delta good rem one, can't remember the name, but I know most of the words to that, probably cos the kids played it night and day!

I've tried watching MTV but the graphic film clips of half naked women, often being mistreated, and the gansta rap turn me off!

Someone made a movie of rocca, and there was a song on it that I know sing all the time, there ain't no second prize, still could not tell you who sings it, but I love that song! That's about as new as I've got!

My iPod running track has things like old time rock n roll, bat out of hell, fat bottomed girls, rocky theme, eye of the tiger, can't get you out of my head, Angel of the morning, we are the champions, simply the best.

And then I have my mushy stream, left in the dark, I will always love you, johnny someone's words are not enough, thorn in my side, ive never been to me, two out of three ain't bad, flame trees, and anything Reba macintyre, or Laura branigan! And oh course, Elvis!

As a kid I had rollers strollers, was mad for abba and Smokie!

Then it was ACDC, the Angles, Kiss, Meatloaf and of course Cold Chisel.

I know all the 80's stuff by heart still!

Yeah, I'm a dag!
john b

Post by john b »

Eddy Current, good choice.

Gyroscope is another good modern Aussie rock/metal/punk band, After 4 releases they barely have a bad song, Cohesion their latest is a classic Aussie rock CD, their other 3 are little bit more alternative but awesome.
I'm struggling to listen to anything else at the moment.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

annewilo wrote:^couldn't find the 53 on youtube.
First movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n89wSS3YpdI
Second Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etg6WFMY ... re=related
Third Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9w6ogJ ... re=related
Fourth Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTaKWTW8 ... re=related

You probably couldn't find it because it's incorrectly identified as "1954" here.

And, if you'd like to see him play, here he is playing Chopin's first Ballade. This was filmed at Rippon Lea for Decca during his April 1987 Australian tour - the recital (of Chopin and Liszt) is available on DVD from Japan, although I don't think it can be got locally: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr9om_ ... -n-1_music

And to hear Bolet's touch and tone at its most perfect, here he is playing Rachmaninov on a Bechstein EN280 (recorded, I am fairly certain, at Walthamstow Assembly Hall in London in January 1987): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNpiAUlp2Q
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

This song by Gotye. Who/what is Gotye ? Info below.

Somebody That I Used to Know: http://youtu.be/ccvqSF5JHdc

If you watched it, check out this clever cover - features 5 people playing one (nice Epiphone) guitar. http://youtu.be/d9NF2edxy-M

Gotye: Born in Belgium in 1980, De Backer moved to Australia with his family when he was 2 years old. His parents chose to use the English variation of his name, Walter, when enrolling him in school.

From early on, De Backer displayed a passion for music, learning various instruments, piano and drums most notably. In his teens, De Backer formed the band Downstares with three of his high school friends, including Lucas Taranto who still plays in his Gotye live shows today] Downstares played shows mainly in the North-Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and were noted for their song-writing maturity and assured live performances. De Backer was the creative force behind the group, .... read more under the first YouTube.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Listening to 60mins transcripts on their website.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Brenny wrote:Listening to 60mins transcripts on their website.
about??

watched a bit last night on the flood but had to turn it off, that poor mother......
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

The legal synthetic drugs and the USA 'eyes in the sky'. They're the two I got through before I got interrupted.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!