Pre-Match: Collingwood v West Coast - Sat 17May03

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

MargOZ

Pre-Match: Collingwood v West Coast - Sat 17May03

Post by MargOZ »

How are we going to go this weekend? Our confidence is back and the boys will be hungry for another win so I think it's going to be a big game and a HUGE result for the Mighty Magpies!

GO PIES!
Marg
JLC

Post by JLC »

Hopefully the selection committee retain Cole, Scotland and Shaw in the team for the WCE game. I would like to see those involved in the Adelaide game rewarded and shown some faith.

WCE have a pretty good midfield (not sure if Kerr and Wirrpunda will play) and the best ruckman at the moment in Gardiner. If we could break even with Gardinder that would be a bonus. I am pretty sure Judd made his debut against us, the day Brodie wnet on his goal kicking rampage. Judd and Cousins have to be stopped as they are quality players. Up forward Phil Matera must be stopped as small forwards seem to do pretty well against us. Maybe Brodie will play on him ??

Also please can we man up on Jakovich this time. Last year in Perth Jakovich ran riot and destroyed us. Everyone knows you have to suck Jakovich deep into the forward line so he cant be allowed to rack up possessions at will. The highlight of the game in Perth last year was Dimma kicking a goal. Thats an indication of how poor we played.

Crucial game as WCE will no doubt be fighting for a top 4 spot as well at year end.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
grims

Post by grims »

Well living in Western Australia i'd love us to just absolutely smash the eagles. On matera we have 5 people who might be able to play on him, shaw, clement, holland, johnson and lonie(in no particular order) not sure who will get the job. Hopefully Williams has a big one against his old side, and I sure hope no fans boo adkins :(
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Easy, all we have to do is shut down fletcher, cousins, and matera. :mrgreen:

I'm with you JLC, keep the side together this week for stability. jakovich has been playing forward this year, so we must ensure our forwards run riot so they force him to play in the back half.
Go Pies!
JLC

Post by JLC »

AnthonyC wrote:Easy, all we have to do is shut down fletcher, cousins, and matera. :mrgreen:

I'm with you JLC, keep the side together this week for stability. jakovich has been playing forward this year, so we must ensure our forwards run riot so they force him to play in the back half.
Omg if they are that desperate for a forward that Jakovich has to play there then surely we will win. The other Jakovich got all the goal kicking ability.

jlc
Blanch

Post by Blanch »

Gardiner and Fletcher are the main men. Fletcher is on fire....and JLC, jako has been good at chf. He knows how to lead to the ball and his damage has been in dishing off to the eagles runners.

Johno must play on matera...he's the only one quick enough to stay with him.

For us West Aussies, this is a mini final....it's very hard to describe how much we HATE these chardonnay sippers. I'm getting fired up now! Time for molly to line up a couple and send em packing! Cmon pies!
My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
peter_pies4ever

Post by peter_pies4ever »

Will Holland play forward or back this week?
grims

Post by grims »

For us West Aussies, this is a mini final....it's very hard to describe how much we HATE these chardonnay sippers. I'm getting fired up now! Time for molly to line up a couple and send em packing! Cmon pies!
hahah i hope molloy gets ben cousins, i really do hate him, he is such a wanker.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Blanch wrote:Gardiner and Fletcher are the main men. Fletcher is on fire....and JLC, jako has been good at chf. He knows how to lead to the ball and his damage has been in dishing off to the eagles runners.

I admit i havnt seen much of WCE this year. I have seen highlights and most of the plaudits go to Gardiner Cousins Judd and a new guy Sampi has been playing well. Fletcher looks quite good as well.

However if we can't stop Jako when he is playing as a forward i would be very disappointed. Jakovich may have been able to nullfiy the likes of Carey when playing as a defender but as a forward he wouldnt be in their league. Im sure Wakelin can cover Jakovich adequately.

I think Clement has had some success on Matera in the past ?? Matera is quite good overhead for a small forward.

jlc
Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Donny »

As with any game, it will be mental toughness that wins the day.

MM would have had to let his players know he was proud of them for the great win but also keep their feet firmly on the ground.

They must work just as hard, or harder, to beat this mob. Go Pies !!
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Antother good thing is that they have a poor record at this ground. How about that spanking we gave them 2 years ago. Boring stat of the week: That has been our highest score in 20 years (173). About time we beat it.
Go Pies!
DaicosMagic

Post by DaicosMagic »

Yes, but just one year prior they fixed us up at Colonial Stadium - we couldn't stop Philip Matera that day.

What is about us and opposition small forwards?

Ronnie Burns, Craig McCrae, Jeff Farmer (remember his 9 or 10 goals?), Philip Matera, Cupido (not exactly small). However, we have a good record against Milne (which I hope we can keep intact in 2 weeks).
wa magpie

Post by wa magpie »

Blanch wrote:Gardiner and Fletcher are the main men. Fletcher is on fire....and JLC, jako has been good at chf. He knows how to lead to the ball and his damage has been in dishing off to the eagles runners.

couldnt agree with you more! i get pumped everytime we play these wan*ers. if we can stop matera we should be okay. they have no tall forwards to speak of, "slappa-vich" doesnt count as a forward in my book. cmon pies, so i can stick it up my old man!!!!!!!
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

how could u drop Presti? McGough should come in for Scotland
JLC

Post by JLC »

I would keep the same team. Cloke didnt do anything earth shattering in the reserves to command his spot back. The team that went to Adelaide got the job done so i would stick with them.

jlc