Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

Slainte Jim - Siochan leat. (Peace be with you)
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
mandy

Post by mandy »

For anyone who has spent much times at music festivals, you'd know how common it's been over the years to come across footballers completely munted and off their chops. Sometimes behaving badly, sometimes minding their own business.

One footballer who stood out for me at Gods Kitchen one year was Jim Stynes. It was about 3 o'clock in the morning, and he was wandering around through the crowd just checking on kids and making sure they were safe and ok.

I remember thinking what a remarkable man he is, taking time out to do that for people he doesn't know for no other reason than that he truly cared. There has always been a fair amount written in the media about his work outside football, but until that night they were really just words in a newspaper to me. That night I saw him at work and I've never forgotten.

Such a tragic loss of an amazing man.

RIP Jim.
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
zoia

Post by zoia »

R.I.P JIMMY you are a true champion, no longer in pain you can finally rest in peace. Such a sad day
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

A brave fight.

RIP Jim.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Top man, a gift from God.

RIP
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

So sad. :cry:

RIP.

Never thought I'd tear up over the passing of a non Collingwood player.
:cry:

Post by 3.14159 »

Gentle-man Jim.
a sad loss to both his home-lands.
BBHS
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

RIP Jimmy, fought the good fight. Will be missed by so many
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

VERY sad news indeed. Sometimes cancer sufferers can beat this insidious disease, but sometimes, no matter how brave the fight, how much the person fights this bastard of a thing, how bravely they are, it just gets them in the end. This has happened to two close friends of mine, like Jim they fought it like hell, but it didnt let up, and got them in the end. We should all support the Peter Mac foundation as much as we can.
To Jim and his family, sincere condolences from this Magpie family.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

So sad. RIP Jimmy. Thinking of his family and loved ones.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

Piesnchess wrote:VERY sad news indeed. Sometimes cancer sufferers can beat this insidious disease, but sometimes, no matter how brave the fight, how much the person fights this bastard of a thing, how bravely they are, it just gets them in the end. This has happened to two close friends of mine, like Jim they fought it like hell, but it didnt let up, and got them in the end. We should all support the Peter Mac foundation as much as we can.
To Jim and his family, sincere condolences from this Magpie family.
It's been a bad year as I have lost two great mates with the same illness in the last 2 months.
Admired you Jim in your playing days and as a footy administrator. Condolences to all your family here and in Ireland.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

So sad for Jimmy's family,friends,and anyone who knew him.He truly was an inspiration.Rest in Peace,Jimmy.
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

RIP Jimmy . A top bloke and also a person who did more then play footy.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

luvdids wrote:So sad. :cry:

RIP.

Never thought I'd tear up over the passing of a non Collingwood player.
:cry:
Same, I never thought I would but with past experiences, today has again reiterated what is most important which is family and cherishing life to its fullest.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Jimmy Stynes IMO was a wonderful human being and left the world a better place due to his efforts. It has been obvious to all concerned that this was a fight he could not win. Irrespective of this he conducted his final years with strength and dignity and with a generosity rarely seen of people in this situation.

The world is certainly a lesser place without Jim.

Years ago the AFL held Catholic masses at St Patrick's at the beginning of the season. My wife and I attended several of these and Jim Stynes, being a good Irish Catholic, contributed by giving a talk at each of these functions. It was obvious to all who attended that he was an exceptional bloke.

Condolences to all his family and friends.
Last edited by Member 7167 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday