Travis Cloke

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Im at the point now where I can see the club moving forward with or without him. I want him to stay, I want him to get paid well. I dont want it to be at the expense of any senior players.
Im not sure why he wouldnt be looking at "after footy" life. I mean youd think if he stays at the pies there would be a few years after footy of employment. We are one of a few teams who can employ extended coaching staff with our VFL side and can afford it.
wouldnt think that would happen if he leaves.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Magpie Jack

Post by Magpie Jack »

My opinion is Cloke should never have gone public on what Freo had offered. Good luck to anyone who goes into any type of negotiation with the Clokes expecting discretion. I would re-sign the other 5 players and forget Cloke. He's probably already signed up for Richmond next year.
Bob Rose....the measuring stick of humanity
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Football players and especially stars of the game receive perks your average Joe would never get.

I always laugh when I see one of our players tweet recommending an eatery they've just had a meal at cause you suspect they receive something in return for it

Funny how often those who can most afford to pay for everything and anything are the ones in the position to receive freebies in return for not much.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

ONE would think $700 000 K for four years is more than enough, for chasing a lump of pigskin on a grassy oval. Come and live in the real world for awhile, these high priced sportsman. Most young blokes in ordinary slave wage jobs would be rapt to be on what he is being offered by the Pies. ! Just Greed.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Nash Rising

Post by Nash Rising »

Piesnchess wrote:ONE would think $700 000 K for four years is more than enough, for chasing a lump of pigskin on a grassy oval. Come and live in the real world for awhile, these high priced sportsman. Most young blokes in ordinary slave wage jobs would be rapt to be on what he is being offered by the Pies. ! Just Greed.
How do you know what the offer is?
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Piesnchess wrote:ONE would think $700 000 K for four years is more than enough, for chasing a lump of pigskin on a grassy oval. Come and live in the real world for awhile, these high priced sportsman. Most young blokes in ordinary slave wage jobs would be rapt to be on what he is being offered by the Pies. ! Just Greed.
Where in Holland? Is this an invitation? GREED is an important factor.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Everyman and his dog knows thats the Pies offer.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by ANNODAM »

^ It doesn't matter what the exact $ offer is mate.
Don't forget all the perks that come with being an AFL footballer.
Who do you think pays for those?

Let's face it, any wage over $300K is a big wage.
I doubt any of us here earn anywhere near that much, if you are, you're damn bloody lucky!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

ANNODAM wrote:^ It doesn't matter what the exact $ offer is mate.
Don't forget all the perks that come with being an AFL footballer.
Who do you think pays for those?

Let's face it, any wage over $300K is a big wage.
I doubt any of us here earn anywhere near that much, if you are, you're damn bloody lucky!
Yep, free trips, boots, clothes, etc etc etc plus doing what you love for a big living, heaps of free time. Pure greed.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Tpaxava

Post by Tpaxava »

FWIW I am not too concerned with what happens with Clokes' contract... All I know is that the Mighty Pies will thrive (with or without him)!
blackandwhite4life

Post by blackandwhite4life »

If Trav decides to take the Carlton bait (call it paranoia but I'm starting to smell their dirty influence) he will experience hatred on a level that no other Australian sportsman has probably ever encountered.

Not sure whether the extra couple of hundred thousand would be worth it. And even with Cloke, they would be still only able to dream of a flag with their current list.
Hearing the 'Black & White Army' roar is the greatest sound in the world.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Ah well, whatever happens, let's get as many games into Paine as we can.
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Magpie Jack

Post by Magpie Jack »

Mountains Magpie wrote:Ah well, whatever happens, let's get as many games into Paine as we can.
Well said.
Bob Rose....the measuring stick of humanity
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote:Yay, it looks like all the crap has been put into the one bucket.

FWIW, my POV is this.

Trav's stated preference is to stay with the Pies.
He is perfectly entitled to try to get the best deal he can and weigh up his options and he and his management are doing that.

This is a big deal contract. At 25 this contract will see him through his prime years. It's a small window to maximise your earnings because by the time he's 35 he won't be earning anything like this from a salary.

Goodonya Trav, Goodonya Pies. you'll work it out.

Then all the people who've bagged Trav in this thread can get on with cheering for him on the ground.
Mate, I normally agree with your views stui, but on this occasion I think you miss the point. I agree that he is entitled to negotiate to get a good deal for himself. What I, and others, am upset about is him using a TV show to pressure the club. It should all be done in-house. It was unedifying and selfish of him to be discussing million dollar offers from other clubs, and even suggesting that he has friends at Carlton. I reckon he's our most important player, but after that pathetic effort, I almost want him to phuk off.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Who are Carlton going to offload to make room for Cloke's million?