What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Jezza wrote:Metallica - One
Great music. It's a bit dated for you, though, isn't it Jezza? I thought guitar playing like this only interested befuddled old people like me. (Oh, and my 15 year old son, who is upstairs playing the tapping solo from it now :shock: - that should keep the neighbours occupied for the rest of this morning).
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'm going to Soundwave this Friday. Mainly to see Metallica and Linkin Park
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Listening to this.

https://soundcloud.com/betweenthewars/wont-go-quietly

new album by Between the Wars, band my cousin is in. Due to be released on St Patricks day, they've put the whole album up here. Best studio album they've made, really captures their sound.

It's Celtic Punk, same genre as the Dropkick Murphies and a few others.

Really like the version in here of "I'll dance on your grave Mrs Thatcher" featuring John McCullagh singing with Jay. My cuz, Stoom, really gives the bass guitar a thumping at the start.

Do yourself a favour, have a listen.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

stui magpie wrote:
I'm going to Soundwave this Friday. Mainly to see Metallica and Linkin Park
Yes I can't wait for Soundwave. Metallica, Anthrax, Linkin Park and Blink 182 are the bands I'm most looking forward to seeing.

@Pies4Shaw, Metallica is never too old for anyone :)
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
laird

Post by laird »

Kiss ( Dynasty ).
Ahhhh instantly takes me back to being 8 again :P

Skid Row - Ahhhh the rebel 18 year old :oops:
" Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye" ?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I need more bands to listen to! I always listen to the same stuff. It's pretty much always some combination of (off the top of my head):

The Incredible String Band
Pink Floyd
The Moody Blues
Barclay James Harvest
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
The Smiths
The Cure
Joy Division
New Order
Interpol
Tame Impala
The Mountain Goats
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Drones
The Pixies
Weezer
Radiohead
Crystal Castles
Portishead
Bjork
Sigur Ros
Mogwai

Pretty eclectic, I guess, but there's not much beyond that. Does anyone have any recommendations based on any of that lot?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

laird wrote:Kiss ( Dynasty ).
Ahhhh instantly takes me back to being 8 again :P

Skid Row - Ahhhh the rebel 18 year old :oops:
I was going to agree with the kiss record, til you said "8" now I feel old!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:I need more bands to listen to! I always listen to the same stuff. It's pretty much always some combination of (off the top of my head):

The Incredible String Band
Pink Floyd
The Moody Blues
Barclay James Harvest
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
The Smiths
The Cure
Joy Division
New Order
Interpol
Tame Impala
The Mountain Goats
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Drones
The Pixies
Weezer
Radiohead
Crystal Castles
Portishead
Bjork
Sigur Ros
Mogwai

Pretty eclectic, I guess, but there's not much beyond that. Does anyone have any recommendations based on any of that lot?
Looking at the English music in your list, have you heard, say, Traffic (eg, John Barleycorn Must Die, Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys), Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny (especially Liege and Lief), King Crimson (eg, Court of the Crimson King, Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red), Yes (eg, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans), Emerson, Lake and Palmer (especially the self-titled first album), Gentle Giant (eg, Three Friends or Octopus), Gong (eg, Radio Gnome Invisible or Camembert Electrique), Van Der Graaf Generator (Pawn Hearts)? This is, of course, a list of much-parodied progressive rock, save for Liege and Lief, which may be the best British album of the 1960s (but I wouldn't say that because it's a completely stupid thing to say) but if you like ISB, Meddle, Barclay James Harvest and The Moody Blues, you might enjoy some of them. I know I do. I think you might well enjoy Ray Davies' song-writing, too - you might start with Arthur ("Some Mother's Son Lies in the Ground" is not the best song ever written but I'd really like to say it is and "Victoria", "Shangri La" - which is the best song ever written, "Driving", "A Hat Like Princess Marina's" and "Australia" are all on this remarkable record) or even a compilation like Picture Book - there aren't too many musicians who justify a 6-CD "best of" set which still causes arguments about all the other wonderful songs which didn't make it onto the 6. But, really, try this (from Preservation Act Part 1, in 1973): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgNyYXTK4s "Once, under a scarlet sky, I told you never-ending lies / But they were the words of a dragon vagabond / Who knew very well he'd break your heart before long ...".

Also, there were quite a lot of very fine British "hit" albums which you might have overlooked - eg, Aqualung, Benefit, Thick as a Brick, Who's Next, Machine Head, Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed (which actually was the best British album of the 1960s but, once again, I am not going to say that because it is a stupid thing to say), Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Led Zeppelin III ("Gallows Pole" is what Mike Heron and Robin Williamson would have done if they'd picked up an electric guitar soon enough), LZ IV.

Oh, and anything by The Beatles. :D They were apparently a group from Liverpool. A link to a wikipedia entry about them follows. It contains a helpful list of albums: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

stui magpie wrote:Listening to this.

https://soundcloud.com/betweenthewars/wont-go-quietly

new album by Between the Wars, band my cousin is in. Due to be released on St Patricks day, they've put the whole album up here. Best studio album they've made, really captures their sound.

It's Celtic Punk, same genre as the Dropkick Murphies and a few others.

Really like the version in here of "I'll dance on your grave Mrs Thatcher" featuring John McCullagh singing with Jay. My cuz, Stoom, really gives the bass guitar a thumping at the start.

Do yourself a favour, have a listen.
Did you catch Floggin Molly at Soundwave? They were shit hot.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote: ... several Yes albums form part of my inherited record collection (I haven't put them on yet, but I'll certainly give them a listen now). ...
I should have offered the caveat that I always thought the Cult of Wakeman was a bit over-done and I didn't much listen to Yes back then. But give it 40 years of critical distance, the lapsing of the Yes vs ELP Controversy and a son who makes me listen over and over to Steve Howe's guitar playing (which is really quite remarkable) and Yes has grown on me a little.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What if I don't have it to give?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

HAL wrote:What if I don't have it to give?
I wouldn't worry, HAL - I always pictured you as more of an Eagles or Neil Young fan, anyway.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

In any case, If I have to choose one, I pick[quote]I wouldn't worry you - I pictured you as.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^ Right - that's sorted, then.