What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 3.14159 »

I saw Siousie and the banshees at the Palace in 1992.
She was here to promote her album Superstition.

This song, THE GHOST IN YOU is a stunningly beautiful testament to those that died in Tiannamin Square.

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/etutVZoOHts

You awoke in a burning paper house
From the infinite fields of dreamless sleep
You return to Tiannammen
An eyewitness in a shroud
To see them fall, feel them yield
Reliving the terror of the crowd

Hold the whirlwind, don't let it blow
Just for a moment I seemed to know
I seemed to know the ghost in you

The whisper of your scream
Sighed through the air
And faith the flag is torn and frayed
Infernal heat, glory in flame
Love was beaten and betrayed

In every step I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

Your captive heart's
The belief you share
With a kiss eternal
Spirits of the square

Hope remains with the ghost in you

Don't let it blow
The ghost in you
The ghost in you
Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
partypie

Post by partypie »

I was at that Rick Wakeman concert too! I was still at high school and I must have bought a ticket. I went because I wanted to see another band that night, but I always liked Yes in small doses. My friends had to get adults to buy beers! Of those boys, two are dead, sadly.
We were all massive fans of Genesis - esp The Lamb lies down on Broadway
Thanks for posting those lyrics - RP - they really hit the spot.
I am pretty sure I have S and Bs vinyl. Sure to be scratched!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

partypie wrote:I was at that Rick Wakeman concert too! I was still at high school and I must have bought a ticket. I went because I wanted to see another band that night, but I always liked Yes in small doses. My friends had to get adults to buy beers! Of those boys, two are dead, sadly.
We were all massive fans of Genesis - esp The Lamb lies down on Broadway
Thanks for posting those lyrics - RP - they really hit the spot.
I am pretty sure I have S and Bs vinyl. Sure to be scratched!
My wife & I were both big Genesis fans from the '70's!

A friend of my daughters was given 10 free tickets to the Sidanee Myer Music Bowl for an Aerosmith concernt tonight!
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

How well do you know these people?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote: I'm a Yes man :D

Still love roundabout. Saw Wakeman at the Sidanee Myer Music Bowl in the mid 1970's.
Did he bring his left hand on the tour, or did it remain at home (as it generally did when he was in the studio)? :lol:

I don't really mind Wakeman (and, eg, quite like his accompaniment on "Morning has Broken"). You will probably remember, though, that there was a silly argument back in the day about whether Wakeman or Emerson was the better keyboardist. As a little tacker, I was firmly in the Keith Emerson camp. Things haven't changed much in the ensuing 40 years - as a pianist, I still admire Emerson. As I said in another thread, "The best that can be said about the odious comparison between Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman is that Yes had a better lead guitarist." See, eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyrVL8bKOI

Steve Howe stands, of course, in a completely different position (in my opinion) to Wakeman - a giant among guitarists. His inventive playing on Roundabout is remarkably beautiful. Strange to think that if Fripp had taken up the offer to join Yes when Peter Banks left, Howe might never have played on seminal tracks like that.
Couldn't tell from where I was standing & moving which hand(s) he was using. (see above)

Brilliant youtube of emerson playing piano P4S :D :D .

Have an LP or 2 by Robert Fripp & with Robert Fripp. In terms of Keyboards I also like Tony Banks of Genesis fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _sxe4s8EqA

I first heard "Yes" on a old Sony rectangular cassette deck (my older brothers) & I thought that was soo cool at the time!
Hey WPT, the comments on that Genesis link are hilarious! There are obviously still some serious open wounds being nursed by more than a few of their fans, even after 40 years.

Don't understand it, myself - I mean, I had forgiven Michael Giles and Ian MacDonald for leaving King Crimson in December 1969 by - oh, roughly speaking - 2010. :lol:

Post by 3.14159 »

partypie wrote:I was at that Rick Wakeman concert too! I was still at high school and I must have bought a ticket. I went because I wanted to see another band that night, but I always liked Yes in small doses. My friends had to get adults to buy beers! Of those boys, two are dead, sadly.
I was thinking of some old school friends when I posted that song.

Gone, but never forgotten.

~

I loved this album.

The cover dragged me in and the music blow me away.

(It was the 70's and my parents owned a Hi-Fi shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Flo Rida - I Cry
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
partypie

Post by partypie »

RENT THIS SPACE wrote:
I was thinking of some old school friends when I posted that song.

Gone, but never forgotten.

~

I loved this album.

The cover dragged me in and the music blow me away.

One of the aforementioned friends was a notorious shoplifter of quality music (it was very expensive back then). Hope he wasn't robbing your folks.
It has been a sad week
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Last night, I had the pleasure of hearing Raymond Yong perform at Medley Hall as soloist in the two-piano version (that is, effectively, the rehearsal score) of Chopin's second piano concerto. He played it beautifully and because the orchestral part is a bit superfluous this is one piano concerto that loses little when the backing is played by a second piano instead of an orchestra. For an encore, he played a rendition of Schubert's Impromptu in G Flat (Op 90, No 3) with (IMO) great sensitivity - it's one of the most perfect pieces ever written for the piano but because it's relatively simple (it's an 8th grade piece), one gets to hear more shabby performances than great ones.

The piano Raymond played on is a shortish (5' or thereabouts) Yamaha and it would be a great delight to hear him play on a full-size Bechstein or Steinway concert grand. That quibble aside, I have to say that it was quite fantastic to see a soloist of such outstanding skill perform at close range.

For those of you who live in (or may be visiting) Sydney, he will be performing the Chopin with the Sydney Symphonia on Tuesday, 18 June 2013 at 6.30pm in the City Recital Hall (Angel Place).

Post by 3.14159 »

partypie wrote:
RENT THIS SPACE wrote:
One of the aforementioned friends was a notorious shoplifter of quality music (it was very expensive back then). Hope he wasn't robbing your folks.
It has been a sad week.
Sorry to hear about your friend, but I don't worry about my parents inventory.

I "left" home a few months shy of my 16th birthday and the only 1/2 decent thing I took with me was their record collection.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

David Guetta Ft Usher - Without You
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Using Vinyl again, listening to an eclectic mix today:

1. Joan Armatrading Mid 1970's

(Love & Affection)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ag3I4VRXyM

2. The Tubes (Mid 1970's)

(White punks on Dope)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFltXDMQsQQ

3. George Winston ? (Early 1980's from the Wyndam Hill Collection)

(From his December Album - variations on Canon - Pachelbel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllZlF6mB2s‎
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Sebastian Ingrosso ft. Tommy Trash - Reload
Neil Appleby

Post by Neil Appleby »

Simone Dinnerstein is an American pianist playing Hamer Hall this week. Famous for her Bach, she has just released an album with folk/pop singer Tift Merritt. It's called 'Night' and the Schubert track Night and Dreams is spectacularly moving and heartfelt. Have a listen in Spotify.

BTW, yo know how we wake up some mornings with tunes playing in our heads? Or how some days tunes just get stuck in our heads? Well, they are called Ear Worms!

Apparently, if you sing Advance Australia Fair a few times it deletes the worm! :D :D
After the epic draw comes the decisive knockout!
Collingwood rules the world again and Mick Malthouse fulfils his destiny with the twenty ten premiership and can you hear the people sing!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

OK. Yes I know how we wake up some mornings with tunes playing in our heads. Interesting. Oh that Ear Worms .