What has happened to General Discussion?

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Bucks5 »

There is a means to jump to the "Nick's Other AFL" forum at the bottom of every single thread. My tip is for you to try it and then get into the habit. Problem solved.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Tannin

Re: What has happened to GENERAL DISCUSSION?

Post by Tannin »

collie dog wrote:Look it has reached the point of ridiculousness now. Three massive threads (two about Essendon and ASADA) and the one about Darren Glass have now been moved to the graveyard spot (Nicks Other AFL). I mean who reads the other sections of Nicks?

I'd say 95% of all the traffic on Nick's is people coming on for a GENERAL DISCUSSION of all things football. I for one am getting sick of all these threads being moved willy-nilly. The editing of posts is bad enough! :evil:

So come on mods. What's the deal? Either rename GENERAL DISCUSSION to read "Collingwood ONLY Forum", or allow us to be adults and have open discussion on all things footy.

So how long will it take for this thread to either be moved or taken down? :roll:
^ 100% agree.

Own up, mods, and face the facts: this split-the-forum idea failed. It has not worked, and it will never work. Just drop it.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!

Post by 1061 »

Just move the AFL forum in under GD.
Joel

Post by Joel »

This is the point where the thread gets ignored and there are no more replies.
collie dog

Post by collie dog »

yin-YANG wrote:

Given all the various headings etc it seems that the GD is more of a temporary staging place akin to Manus... except of course the 'move' processing is much much quicker!

I am not sure about the details of how long a subject stays on the GD before a move is actioned but I would suggest give it a week and then file it away as needed to the designated zone.

Personally I find the specific zones on Nicks a bit much... I would also say from a quick review of the various sections etc that they do not generate the same kind of organic and popular conversations that GD used to! :(
Excellent suggestion. The problem is that threads like this one stay in GD for a few nanoseconds, especially since Donny appears to moderating 20 hours a day. Obviously doesn't have a family.
Rain or hail, I wag my tail
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

No need for personal comments, guys. I'm hoping this can be turned into a constructive dialogue of some sort, and cracks like those aren't very helpful.

That said: Donny, WPW, where are you?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Joel

Post by Joel »

David wrote:That said: Donny, WPW, where are you?
I think what I have to say will be taken the wrong way, but given it's been raised, we might as well discuss it. Apologies in advance mods, please do not take this the wrong way.

These are the mods listed in the rules:

- London Dave
- Donny
- MargOz
- Northern Pie
- stik35
- WhyPhilWhy?

Every single one of them have put a great deal into the forum over the years. All volunteers, a sensational effort. Believe me, I know how hard it is, I was one of them once upon a time.

But, the truth of the matter is only one or two could really be classed as regular contributors these days. While they may all still do regular modding in the background (only the mods would know this) we hardly hear from them.

So, what ends up happening is that because some mods are more active on the board than others, it looks like only one person is doing 99% of the moderation. Time to spread the load or get more mods on board you'd think.

Sorry guys, you're all good people, but I think the mods need to start being more active. Only Donny appears to weigh in on any feedback these days.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Joel wrote:
David wrote:That said: Donny, WPW, where are you?
I think what I have to say will be taken the wrong way, but given it's been raised, we might as well discuss it. Apologies in advance mods, please do not take this the wrong way.

These are the mods listed in the rules:

- London Dave
- Donny
- MargOz
- Northern Pie
- stik35
- WhyPhilWhy?

Every single one of them have put a great deal into the forum over the years. All volunteers, a sensational effort. Believe me, I know how hard it is, I was one of them once upon a time.

But, the truth of the matter is only one or two could really be classed as regular contributors these days. While they may all still do regular modding in the background (only the mods would know this) we hardly hear from them.

So, what ends up happening is that because some mods are more active on the board than others, it looks like only one person is doing 99% of the moderation. Time to spread the load or get more mods on board you'd think.

Sorry guys, you're all good people, but I think the mods need to start being more active. Only Donny appears to weigh in on any feedback these days.
That is why we need a couple of new mods, level headed guys like David and ummm, ummm, well David is one anyway.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
David

Post by David »

Not quite correct. I'm the moderator of a subforum (The Bored Board), which, sadly, is barely used nowadays. I have no remit or influence beyond that.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

Get proactive and use your power over the Bored Board (which really does live up to its name) to turn it into something grand
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

This forum is too far down

Post by Presti35 »

Should go:

GD,
VFL,
Draft/Trade
then this one.

Could just be me, but i think the forums need a re-shuffle.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Query the potential half-life of this thread. I give it about 15 more minutes.
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Pies4shaw wrote:Query the potential half-life of this thread. I give it about 15 more minutes.
Carbon - 11 closest to 15 minutes.
David

Post by David »

What do you suggest? :)
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:What do you suggest? :)

Something lowbrow with sex, humour and violence, with discussion around politics, sociology and religion etc utterly banned.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.