Pre Match QF2 - Pies v. Lions - Sat. night. Comments here.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

DaicosMagic

Post by DaicosMagic »

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and further highlighted by their display against the Bulldogs) - they ALL run ahead of the ball, ALL OF THEM! I have never seen so many players in one team running ahead of play. They always have free men inside 50 to crumb goals. Once they get the ball in the midfield, everyone just runs forward to accept easy goals. We must watch them out of the middle where they will have set plays to men on either wing. Our wingers must play close and accountable, becasue Brisbane kick goals directly from rover to winger to Lynch/Brown.
Ev5Magpies

Post by Ev5Magpies »

That's what they were doing against us last time in the 1st Qtr. One player got the ball & there were about 2-3 of them ahead of the ball waiting for it. It can't happen this time & it won't.

C'mon Pies we got ourselves in a great position & lets show the rest of them what we already know, we are the real deal this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohhhh the premierships a cakewalk for the good old COLLINGWOOD
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

one little thing that I noticed last time we played, when josh and their ruckman are involved in 2nd and 3rd ball-ups, either Voss, White, Michael, Bradshaw come over the top of the locked up ruckmen and knock the ball to these runners ahead of the play.

This 3rd man in play takes out all our in and under players and brings in Pike, Hart etc.

they executed this play several times last time we met, and was very effective.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Last time we played the Lions we went into the game a little bit too arrogantly Tarrant mentioned a few weeks ago in the MX. Brisbane got the jump and things went their way and we were playing catch up footy all day.

This time i am extremely confident that this mistake wont made again. As long as we dont let the likes of Caracella and Hart get underneath our guard and we can curb Brown to some degree then we are on the way to victory.

Brisbane have a few injuries and are bleeding (including verbal bleeding) its about time OUR magpies kill these bastards.

Will be interesting to see if Molloy and Davis who normally dont fire against Brisbane get picked. Will Andrew Williams survive the axe yet again ?

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Hired-Goon

Post by Hired-Goon »

Damn I love the excitement of september....

GO YOU MIGHTY PIES!!
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

Look theres no qst it will not be an easy task at all however if we win the draw opens up! I believe who ever wins this game will win the grand final. I was watching the News tonite and i noticed rain hail and thunder for saturday night!! Couldnt be any more happier!! Mark McGough will play this time like he shouldve in the grannie and molloy wont, we will have cloke and will just have enough to get over them!
maggie20ct

Post by maggie20ct »

JLC wrote:Last time we played the Lions we went into the game a little bit too arrogantly Tarrant mentioned a few weeks ago in the MX.
wat is the MX?? but i agree we did go in too arrogantly and this time i think we will be ready for the task at hand - we are not going to make the same mistake 2wce
This message was proudly brought to you by Katie *cough* Tarrant :D
Ev5Magpies

Post by Ev5Magpies »

The MX is a free newspaper you get in Melb on the Train stations in the afternoon.

Still don't think McGough will play even if it is raining. Swan out, Presti in, possibly Rupe for ??? i'm not sure...
Ohhhh the premierships a cakewalk for the good old COLLINGWOOD
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

I know this will probably get a few groans and I may live to regret it, but I think Leon Davis will get a run for these reasons:

* We all know he hasn't played well against Brisbane in the past - well, here he gets one last chance to prove himself against them, and to show he can play high-pressure finals football;

* If there is a possibility of a trade, the match committee will want another look at him, as per Ben Kinnear;

* He has had an excellent three weeks at Willi;

* He is a wildcard. We have lots of steady, reliable players. When Leon's not on, we all know he might as well not be there, but when he's on, he's a genuine matchwinner;

* His speed and delivery of the ball will be an asset against Brisbane;

* There is room in the lineup: Presti will come in but at least two players (Swan and Williams) are in line for omission, while with MM's horses for courses policy Walker and Kinnear aren't safe either.

I'm backing Leon to come into the side and kick three goals off the bench in a nail-biter!

The Weed
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen

Post by AGE »

I agree with you there in some aspect on the last point you made weed.
Presti is a certain inclusion this week. Wakes might miss due to injury. So one cancels out the other.

As for Walker and Swan, I may be wrong, but I don't think they will get a run as I'd suggest maybe MM wants to give Davis, Molloy and McGough one last chance to prove themselves in the "big time" (read: FINALS).

Although Walker may be a solid tall in the defence with Cloke and Presti, with Wakes out, and to cut off the supply to Brown and Lynch.
JLC

Post by JLC »

This is the most important game for the year. This is no time to play players in the hope of trading them. The home and away rounds are for assessing players. Our premiership aspirations rest on this game. Lose this and its more than likely that we play Port in Adelaide in the Prelim.

The BEST 22 must be picked this week. Molloy and Davis would be a huge risk. I think Walker will play as he has been ok lately and played better than i thought he could.

To me the borderline selection is Williams. He panicked in the last quarter when he had two shots for goal. He reminded me of a rugby player kicking for touch. It may be time to replace him with Rupert :)

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
foxy

Post by foxy »

i REALLY want leon back in this week. having played in the midfield a fair bit at willi these last few weeks, his overall match-fitness must've improved. i reckon he could provide some serious spark for a quarter or two. play him off the bench & see what happens. if we could risk bringing swan in last week, surely leon could be given a go.

beyond chris johnson i can't see a brissy player who could go with leon in a forward pocket.

swan oughta to go out for leon.

but now i'm not sure who to drop for presti - i seriously doubt willo will be dropped.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I wouldn't mind Leon back in the side this week. I don't know why, just a feeling.
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Early weather forecast for Sat night is showers
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

The most important thing for us to do to win is to start well.
Most times we start well, we go on to win. This is even more important against brisbane.

We can't let our concentration down for even a few minutes because they will take advantage of that and crush us like they did in the first quarter last time.