The "What do we get for Beams?" thread

All trade and draft talk here thanks..... this means you DTM!!!!

Moderator: bbmods

AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

And that's exactly why he doesn't have the worth of a club's top 5 player, or that of the young, more talented, players at Brisbane.
Well done boys!
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

he totally lucked in.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Wokko wrote:5 + 25 is what we'll take at 4:59pm on Friday if nothing else can be arranged. If that gives you a sad then you better stock up on some beers.

Remember, the players involved in trades have to agree. Has anyone considered that nobody worthwhile (Top 22) from Brisbane actually wants to come here?
12 months ago anywhere but Brisbane was attractive to a bunch of 'em

You reckon it has changed so much in a year?
they can smell what we're cookin'
Breadcrawl

Post by Breadcrawl »

Could be the first time it has happened but I find myself in complete disagreement with Wokko.

pick 5 + Greenwood does not exist. It's pick 5 and 25, what we then do with the 25 has nowt to do with Brisbane. If he can be had for pick 25 then he isn't in their top 3 players is he? No more than Lumumba is in our top 4 (sorry people he just isn't).

If pick 25 has been thrown on the table next to pick 5 on Wednesday then I reckon we have got them here. Whatever we agree to on Friday, if we do, it will be better than that.

And if we don't and let other clubs know they are welcome to inquire then it will be better again.

Looking at it from our own point of view, getting Greenwood is great and takes the pressure of us grafting an experienced player out of Brisbane. However it does not let the Lions off the hook from giving us a fair deal, and 5 and 25 continues not to be fair.

5 and 10 or the most recent suggestion of 5, 19 and 25 will suffice, and we will get Greenwood for Lumumba or the 25
they can smell what we're cookin'
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

FMD there's a lot of crap in this thread.

Take 5 and 25 now, do the deal and move on.

We want to get an established midfielder to fill in while pick 5 grows up, trade for him. The longer we **** around the less time there is to do other trades.

Is Greenwood worth pick 25? Dunno, not my call. The club employees people who do this stuff for a living who are in a far better position than me to make that call.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Domesticated_Ape

Post by Domesticated_Ape »

Breadcrawl wrote:
Wokko wrote:5 + 25 is what we'll take at 4:59pm on Friday if nothing else can be arranged. If that gives you a sad then you better stock up on some beers.

Remember, the players involved in trades have to agree. Has anyone considered that nobody worthwhile (Top 22) from Brisbane actually wants to come here?
12 months ago anywhere but Brisbane was attractive to a bunch of 'em

You reckon it has changed so much in a year?
Good point. And in reply to Wokko, I believe that Aish would want to come to Collingwood if Brisbane asked him to consider it. Aish was apparently a big Buckly fan growing up and I think he has a friendship with Schrenberg and possibly Grundy, Kennedy and Broomhead too. I reckon they would have all played junior footy together in SA. A bit of extra cash and a contract extension would help too. Brisbane will be running tight on their salary cap after paying for Beams.

The problem is that Brisbane want to get Beams cheaply to make up for the fact that they lost all those young players last year. But it's not our fault that happened, it was Voss and his mismanagement and it was the Lions board that appointed him and kept him on for as long as they did. They should pay the price.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

5&21 is a possibility. If Briisy squeeze that out of
GWS for Patfull.
There must be a decsent midfielder in the draft at pk 5
Domesticated_Ape

stui magpie wrote:FMD there's a lot of crap in this thread.

We want to get an established midfielder to fill in while pick 5 grows up, trade for him. The longer we **** around the less time there is to do other trades.

Is Greenwood worth pick 25? Dunno, not my call. The club employees people who do this stuff for a living who are in a far better position than me to make that call.
Not trading Beams now doesn't stop us from lining up other trades. North have already agreed to a second rounder for Greenwood, that happened while Brisbane was pissing around adding their second pick to that insulting original offer of pick 5.

At the very least we should wait and get another early second round pick that Brisbane can get by trading Platfull and Merret, which they are already planning to do. Picks 5, 25 and another one in between those two would still be under value for Beams, but at least not a complete rip off.
scoobydoo wrote:There must be a decsent midfielder in the draft at pk 5
From what people are saying, pick 5 is hardly better than pick 10 this year, as it's so even. And at the best of times, top ten picks seem a bit like 50-50 propositions. Half of them probably don't make it. The last time Brisbane had pick 5 they drafted Jared Polec who left for Port at the end of last year and hasn't really proven that he was worth such a high pick yet. Still time for him, but no guarantees. Picking an 18 year old on the basis of what he'll be able to do when he's 25 on a footy field isn't an easy task no matter how many players you get to pick from.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

I see what your saying, but if Petracca is the best midfielder in the
Draft & the next 3 are all KP players there must be another midfielder
Whose probably a bit better than decsent. So at pk 5 we could get the 2 nd
Best rated midfielder in the draft
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

scoobydoo wrote:5&21 is a possibility. If Briisy squeeze that out of
GWS for Patfull.
There must be a decsent midfielder in the draft at pk 5
Word has it one of the most promising mids sat the year out with an ACL injury, Lever is his name iirc, not sure on his progress as in if he'll be ready to go by pre season etc etc, he could be the one.

Most phantom drafts have him going between 5 and 10.

Take it all back, he's a KB apparently.
Last edited by Bob Sugar on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Museman

Post by Museman »

scoobydoo wrote:I see what your saying, but if Petracca is the best midfielder in the
Brayshaw was considered the best out and out mid in the draft according to many sources, but he is expected to go top 4.
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

scoobydoo wrote:I see what your saying, but if Petracca is the best midfielder in the
Swans got one of the best mids though their academy (Heeney), he's a minimum top 5 talent.
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

It's the typical reaction stui. If beams were coming from Brisbane to Collingwood most would be arguing pick 5 is too much. But now we should demand top picks and top players or let him sit a year out and turf him, in the process screwing up all our credibility to trade with in future.

Ridiculous.
Buon Giorno
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Big T wrote:

It's the typical reaction stui. If beams were coming from Brisbane to Collingwood most would be arguing pick 5 is too much. But now we should demand top picks and top players or let him sit a year out and turf him, in the process screwing up all our credibility to trade with in future.

Ridiculous.
That's really not the case. Pick 5 is never fair value for an A-grade player entering his prime and under contract for another year. Take a look at history. Pick 5 is well under and no one credible has said it's not. This is not fans being unreasonable but Brisbane putting in a weak offer they knew would never be accepted. Pick 5 and 25 is better but still unders as picks are a crap shoot.
Well done boys!
Domesticated_Ape

Museman wrote:
Brayshaw was considered the best out and out mid in the draft according to many sources, but he is expected to go top 4.
I think Brayshaw will go at pick 2 or 3 to Melbourne, but yes, he's the next best after Petracca. Brayshaw is actually more a pure mid from what I understand, where as Petracca is more like a third tall forward who can also play midfield. After that, the next 5-10 midfielders are pretty even from what I hear. Apart from Heeney, but he's locked into the Swans.
Big T wrote:It's the typical reaction stui. If beams were coming from Brisbane to Collingwood most would be arguing pick 5 is too much. But now we should demand top picks and top players or let him sit a year out and turf him, in the process screwing up all our credibility to trade with in future.

Ridiculous.
If we were recruiting Tom Rockliff. I'd be looking at young players on our list we could trade for another top ten pick to package with pick 8(having passed on Moore) to get the deal done. That's what it takes to get elite midfielders in their prime. If we give up Beams for pick 5, we become the next Freo with half our kids coming from South Australia and Port on the rise. :shock:

This is not about ripping Brisbane off. If it was, we'd be asking for 3 picks in the top 15. That would be Beams' price on the open market if all clubs could bid. Maybe even 3 in the top 10 if someone gets desperate.
Aish and pick 5 for Beams is actually a good win for the Lions. If I were one of their few supporters who know anything about football, I'd be satisfied with that. Not crowing, but happy that we improved our list and got a guy who might be the next captain and Brownlow medalist.