What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Bolet playing Busoni's transcription of Bach's D minor Chaconne. As my birthday treat while the family is out for a little while.

Greatest live piano recording ever made. As Bryce Morrison writes in his notes to Great Pianists of the 20th Century, volume 10 (Bolet being so remarkable and diverse that he required 2 double-CD volumes, one devoted to his famous Carnegie Hall recital and his remarkable complete recordings of Rakhmaninov's transcriptions, the other devoted to the greatest performer of Liszt who ever lived), "February 25, 1974 was a red-letter day not only in Jorge Bolet's strangely checkered career, but in the history of piano playing."

Such a shame Bach neither lived to play a piano, nor to hear this man play.

Here's a link to the first part, the link to the second part will be there, I expect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7p-pj3D_g

For anyone who may be interested, Sony has just released a 10CD set of Bolet's recordings for RCA/Ensayo and Columbia. I have all of these on vinyl or CD and most of them on both. Rare treasures - a veritable "how to" guide from a pianist of virtually flawless technique who never once put his technique ahead of what he thought the music required ("You play fast but you don't sound fast") - including the famous Carnegie Hall recital of 1974, put out to celebrate Jorge's 100th birthday, I expect.

After this concert recording ends, it will be his Everest recording "A Chopin Recital", simply the most beautiful collection of Chopin ever put on record. Happy birthday to me.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

How many?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Too many.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Listening to MMM today while outside chopping up a dog kennel.

Well, it was actually built by a bloke who used it as a sleeper in the back of a ute. Made of cool room material, aluminium angle corners utter bastard to break down.

Cur though it, it's like 10cm think plywood with fibreglass inside for glue. Goddamn my arms were itchy.

But MMM, love you long time. Weekend music roster, yep.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Michael Hakanson-Stacy playing an "awesome" version of "Oh Sinner Man" on the Time & Strike Sampler CD Volume 2.

Clyde Curly & the Oxymorons playing "Hunting the Buffalo" from the same CD.

It's a sampler of songs & instrumentals of "Blues, Bluegrass & Old Time Music" (USA)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman

Post by 3.14159 »

This is one of my favourite (unpublished) Woody Guthrie songs performed by Wilco & Billy Bragg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxzMbAMO73k
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Avalon Blues (CD 2001):

A tribute to the Music of Mississippi John Hurt featuring such artists as:

Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welsh
Steve & Justin Earle
Ben Harper
Taj Mahal

Original Mississippi John Hurt: (Written in 1928)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klcDgu2f_pQ
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Anything and everything.

Partner bought a new tuner/cd player on the weekend and is testing it out.
It has digital & internet radio and he has connected it up the iPad.

At the moment we are listening to Star FM in Tassie.....Oh hang on now it's a Paul Kelly CD .
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I've been listening to Candice Skjonnemand ahead of an interview with her, very nice stuff. 'Life' is my favourite track so far.

Tenderhooks from the UK have some good songs as well, loved their song 'Santa'
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Tell me more about your favorite track so.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Listened to an old Iron Maiden CD on the way up to Toc. Run to the hills playing, loud, while going through the bends at ..............ummmmmmmmmm.......a tad faster than both the posted and recommended speed limits.
Car goes good. :oops:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

personally id rather undergo chinese water torture, but some of you, WPT and pies4shaw would probably enjoy this shit!!though im guess pies4shaw has a box seat!!

http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/melbour ... 6&mediaId=
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Thanks for thinking of us, tp.

No, I don't have a "box seat" for the RMPO. But I was thinking of buying the orchestra. :wink:
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:Thanks for thinking of us, tp.

No, I don't have a "box seat" for the RMPO. But I was thinking of buying the orchestra. :wink:
LMAO!!!!

hehehe!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
OEP

Post by OEP »

Been listening to a lot of Lily Allen recently, love her songs "**** you" and "it ain't easy".
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.