Proposal for new forum

Suggestions, praise, feedback. Need to communicate with the moderators? This is the place. If you need to communicate privately with the moderators, send email to lesbastardssinistres(at)magpies.net

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Proposal for new forum

Post by stui magpie »

Hi Mods,

I'd like to propose a new forum be created in the "other Forums", somewhere near the Vic Park Tavern. One that can be devoted to the intellectual debate around topics such as Politics and Religion, physcology, free will, etc etc.

That way those who are disposed to want intellectual debate can have it, and those who don't and who just want to go into the Vic Park Tavern, talk shit, swap stories, argue about news all in good nature, can do so without having their lack of education or intelligence pointed out ad infinitum.

Yes, it's traditional that all this stuff resides in the VPT, it was also traditional that general football discussion was in the main forum. That was moved elsewhere making the main forum Collingwood only.

The VPT membership has seriously declined over recent years, the intense nature of some of the debate has anecdotally made a large contribution to that. People just don't find it fun. If they wanted to be lectured on how dumb they were, they'd visit their parents or ask their wife.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin board, the pre requisite for being here is that you support Collingwood and as such we have all ages, educations and intellects here and they should all feel welcomed. They way the VPT is at present, that's not the case.

My thoughts.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I don't believe that the bored Board is the answer. As you say it was pre facebook and also has a qualification for entry.

There's also the matter of labelling.

I see a revamped VPT for discussion on news, current affairs, funny shit, basically pub talk, the kind of conversations the average punter would have with mates over a few beers.

The more heavy topics could be in a forum titled great debates or solve world hunger here or some such, to clearly distinguish between the two.

My thought is, nothing is set in stone. If the idea has some support, why not try it for 6 months. If it doesn't work, try something else.

No sin in change.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Change doesn't worry me but there are not enough posts in VPT to warrant a sub-forum.

The religious/political stuff is easy enough to identify by its title and not open (if you are so inclined, like me)
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Splitting forums based on discussion style isn't actually difficult at all, it all depends on how you frame it. If people were really interested in the more esoteric things you refer to then I'm sure they would visit.

I've put the thought up, I don't want to monopolise this thread, I'd be interested to see what others have to say on the subject.

Do others like the idea of creating a new forum for the more deep dive discussions and ban the use of the terms 'Straw Man" and "Post Structuralism" from the VPT? (instant yellow card if used).

Yes, no, alternative suggestions welcome.
Jezza
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Jezza »

I'm indifferent on this issue to be honest. If there was to be a new section of the forum or a sub-section of VPT I'd be willing to go along with others and seeing how it works or not for a few months. If nothing changes however and the format remains the same then I'm fine with that as well.

If there is a consideration of change maybe you can split it up into four or five sub-forums. One can involve topics with society, religion and politics which has been the dominant category of discussion on VPT in recent times. Another category could involve music, TV, entertainment and technology as the second sub-forum. Another forum devoted to foods and drinks and discussing favourite eateries and bars for example and lastly another section devoted to other issues and things that don't fit into these three categories such as the 'what made you happy or pissed off today' threads for example.

I do agree with David though that heading down this particular path may kill both forums and therefore we're worse off than before so I think all users should be consulted about this especially those who post on VPT regularly before any further action is taken.

VPT can be taxing at times and maybe this results in only the same regular users posting in this area whereas others outside are reluctant to join into the discussion. Sometimes posters air very strong opinions or views passionately but across the board I think most of us have a mutual respect with one another and know when to not draw the line without losing the plot and going into meltdowns towards one another.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆

Post by 1061 »

So I have a suggestion for the name any new forum "the monkey spankers club"!
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

I think that's a good idea Stui if it has a bloody word limit for posts!

Sorry but IMO there is some very very long twaddle posted and it gets quoted in responses which makes you lose the will to live let alone read and it seems to infiltrate just about very topic - so all very well to say don't read it but then there's no point coming here at all.

I know that's why quite a few regulars have buggared off!!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Joel

Post by Joel »

Must admit, I hardly post in VPT because I just can't be bothered in long winded debate (even if I think I have something relevant to add).
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I don't get involved in the intellectual stuff but still find it fascinating to read if not educational, most of the time. Googling big words isn't a problem, it's much less annoying than social media speak where I'm expected to make out words from the latest, trending abbreviation! I mean WTF is YOLO?? (irony intended :wink:)

Back on topic, why not sticky your more staple 'what did you.......today' and the like threads to separate from the hardcore debating/pissing contest threads :P
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

icymi @frankiegoestocollingwood the vpt reminds me of a collingwood cafe. hashtag pretentiouswank. #twiceinonedayihaveusedthatterm

more seriously, i enjoy some of the debate in vpt but when it becomes self-indulgent claptrap i tune out.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

there you go, I had to google 'icymi', you bastard. F U :P
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

you're welcome.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.