Pre Grand Final - Collingwood v. Brisbane. All comments here

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

Molloy may put himself about but how long will he last and hasn't done anything agst Lions in the past.
McKee is useful around the ground esp defensively and has a nice skill level; lack of pace a questionmark esp if used at CHF agst a rebounding HB line.
Walker is young, strong and enthusiastic and has been a surprise packet but is v green. Still the fittest and most mobile of the 3 main options.
Bucks could be a v dangerous pinch hitter at half forward; he's no little boy with top body strength.
Hopefully, Rocca may get off. Even so, either McKee or Walker on bench.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!
DaicosMagic

Post by DaicosMagic »

I was at the Willimstown game, and these players were used sparingly: Walker at full back (did not do much running at all and stayed in the goalsquare - did quite well when required). Cam Cloke (was benched regularly - however, this could have been becasue he had an ordinary game). Molloy (came on and off, kicked a few goals, but looked sore, slow and tired).

If there is a surprise, I believe Cloke or David King may play (King is a big boy and goes in hard and confident). Swan also played well but struggles so far at senior level. Even Guy Richards, whose tap work is great at the centre bounces is a chance to help Fraser. But entering a GF, I'd hate to mess with the team too much.

L Davis may miss if it's horses for courses.
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

no new kids will come in - that'd be too much of a gamble. If Molloy isn't fit he wont play - remember last year - and we don't need him, even if Rocca get's rubber out. Walker might play, but Kinnear will be CHF in Rocca's absence, and Tarrant will take the extra load (or be asked too). Bucks is a great option at CHF, HFF too, as was shown against port.

GO PIES!!

- Ben
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Going on MM horses for courses theory and looking at players past performances against opposition (Davis) then there is no possible way you could bring back Molloy or Mckee, because both have done nothing against Brisbane. Both have been given their chances and each time they have failed. If Rocca is outed (which i expect) Walker would be the only option, unless they take a big punt on a first gamer like Cloke or Richards, and watching the game yesterday neither of them put any confidence in me that they could be an influence in the GF
Pies Premiers 2003

Post by Pies Premiers 2003 »

GO THE MIGHTY MAGPIES!!!!!

WHO SAYS REVENGE ISN'T SWEET
THE PIES GO MARCHING ON

TERRY
JLC

Post by JLC »

Does anyone else think Lokan could be used at full forward this week if Rocca were suspended ??

Afterall he did play there for Port even though it was seconds but he may be able to pull it off for a game.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Pies Premiers 2003

Post by Pies Premiers 2003 »

I just hope MM doesn't put Clokey there.....

I love the way Cloke plays....but he is no forward option

Lokan is a good grab for his size and is quick...certainly I think he is an option
THE PIES GO MARCHING ON

TERRY
DaicosMagic

Post by DaicosMagic »

We can not enter the match playing for revenge - we must play to achieve glory, regardless of our opposition. Revenge just clouds the real issue, and that's winning a game of footy. A third of the team didn't even play last year anyway.

Lokan at full forward: no!

Contrary to what MM is listed as saying in the papers, Williams played a very bad game for Williamstown.
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

davis has to stay, hes a gun! kicked three goals, that would be very nice in a grand final, he has worked hard to get back in the team, good on him.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

JLC,thats a good point you make.If Ant is suspended how about playing Walker in the goalsquare,Lokan leading from the goalsquare & Tazz playing @ C.H.F.That would mean whoever plays on Walker will be stuck in the square & Tazz & Lokes can run their opponents around with Leon,O.B & Didak doing the roving at different times
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

I believe the boys can do it. They won't even be thinking about revenge. That is not the way MM goes about any game. Hard at it, and a running game will get us over the line.

Leon given his past lacklustre performances against Brisbane should be out. Keep Williams out too, he had a poor game yesterday (and past few weeks). If Ant goes (and I agreee with what DaicosMagic said above about it) i'd bring in McKee. No way do you bring in kids to play in a GF when they haven't played a senior game yet, even if playing well for Willy.

Saturday is our day. It'll be a tough hard slog, but our boys can and will get over the line, together as a TEAM.

GO PIES!!!!!!!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Richards was listed as one of Williamstown's best in this morning's Herald Sun so if Rocca misses then Guy would be a chance. He would be just the 6th ever, and the first for over 50 years to debut in a Grand Final.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

After all Mick did hint at the idea of playing a first-year player
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Joel

Post by Joel »

I think McKee or Molloy will come in, if Rocca is suspended.

However, if McKee comes in, I would still like to see Fraser spend time in the ruck.

That means, we still have the problem at CHF. Who is going to play there? Buckley could probably spend a little bit of time there, as could Burns (he has spent time there for short periods this season). Fraser could spend time there when he isn't rucking, and McKee could either drift along half back or spend some time in the forward line. If McKee goes forward, the crumbers will probably be essential because I'm not sure how well McKee will perform in contested situations. Anyway, that's my 'rant' for now.
commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

on the horses for courses, Leon (despite the Port game) may miss out. Think Walker possibly the best option with Rocca out. Lokan maybe on HF flank or free to run in forward half. Again think Bucks a possible pinch CHF. Clokey may be interesting in that he marks well, competes well and does the 1%ers and assists fof the ground level players; as long as he doesn't kick for goal!!
Will be a rough ask to bring in youngsters for their first game in a GF. Think Cloke 2 will get a senior blooding in next yr pre-season comp.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!