Pre Grand Final - Collingwood v. Brisbane. All comments here

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Joel

Post by Joel »

Just heard on Ch7 news that Molloy has to have xrays on one of his feet, because it is still sore after playing for Williamstown on Sunday.
neds elbow

Post by neds elbow »

Just saw Molloy on the news. He can hardly walk. One report said his toe injury had flared again, and another said it was his hammy.
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

Surprising though it may seem, playing a kid on debut in a GF is not unheard of. It's been done before, successfully too - the opposition knows nothing about them and if the kid's made of the right stuff, they don't know fear so go for broke.

Just don't ask me to remember the last time it happened. And I don't think it will happen this time either.

McKee contrary to Budgie's post was one of our best against Brisbane last year. Towelled in the ruck duels by Keating but excellent around the ground and this time Fraser will take the majority of the ruck work. So I'm expecting him to play if Rocca goes. Molloy injured, not fit enough again.

That still leaves the question of whether or not to play Leon and to be honest, who has the form on the board to come in for him? All the possibilities have their supporters on here (Betheras, McGough etc).

There are pros and cons - Leon will be desperate to play well and will set the crowd and the team alight if he gets involved, and he gives us an extra forward crumber we were missing in the Qualifying Final. On the other hand I'd be the first to admit his record against Brisbane is awful.

I'd back him pinch-hitting off the bench as the kind of player to give us a spark and a goal when we need it. Judging by his comments in the press he has a level head, too, about his playing prospects which shows humility and the willingness to sacrifice for the better of the team.

Ultimately I'm just glad I'm not a selector!

Weed
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
labrooy

Post by labrooy »

If Leon misses I will definitely feel sorry for him. Having missed the Willy grand final and then be dropped for the big one.

Having said that if Rocca does go I would favour bringing Guy Richards in. He is an unknown quantity as far as Brisbane are concerned and is more than handy as a ruckman. Given Leon's record against Brisbane I would omit him as well. A possible replacement for him would be Rupert Betheras who does have the form on the board in big games.

BTW, someone mentioned Mark Richardson as a possible replacement. I don't think he would be such a bad replacement either.
Joel

Post by Joel »

So, who do we think is going to play at CHF?
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

As much as it would be fantastic in a romantic sense to see Mark Richardson out there on Saturday, and the fact that he did have a good stint a few years ago running across the half-back line as a sweeper, he just can't cut it anymore. If anyone saw him play for Willi last week, he pretty much didn't do anything, and the endurance required isn't there, same as Molloy.

Rather than Guy Richards (and that's a big if, if it was to happen that we bring in debutant) I would bring in Cameron Cloke, he's very mobile, and has had a good year for Williamstown.
Joel

Post by Joel »

blackmissionary wrote: Rather than Guy Richards (and that's a big if, if it was to happen that we bring in debutant) I would bring in Cameron Cloke, he's very mobile, and has had a good year for Williamstown.
Cloke didn't play the most fantastic game on the weekend either.
bokka

Post by bokka »

That would be very risky to bring in CAm cloke given he has never played a senior game let alone a final - but of course you never know, it could work.
As far as Leon goes I watched the replay today and he looks a different player now. I reckon the thing that flunked him against the unBearables ws that he was a bit fragile, they just smashed him out of the way and knocked the stuffing out of him.
On saturday he looked a tough little nut and didn't have that fragile look, and had a more complete and team oriented game than I've seen from him, ie tackling etc. Leaving him in is maybe a bit of a gamble but not much of one in my opinion. Even if he has a quiet one he will contribute and add to the pressure on their defense not only by his tackling etc but continually providing another option and threatening around the packs. and has graduated beyond the flashy pinch hitter stage. I reckon he has earned a chance in the big one.
Actually I wouldn't be more inclined to drop Davis than Didak although he played a pretty good game too. Also Kinnear is beginning to really look like an AFL player but will get better.
Malthouse was hinting at a surprise inclusion of someone who "has something to prove" - hmm that might be Richo actually, or Molloy or even Cam cloke, or Walker who would be desperate to atone for his sins in his last senior game and has a bit of experience now.
Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

How best to match up to Jonathan Brown ? Clokey is gusty and Presti is really solid but JB & Lynch are a handful. Which in the potential abscence of Rocca could free Leppitsch to have a more attacking role. Tex is looming large as an inclusion for mine. He is showing more and more courage and as a tall will challenge the match ups. He will also be handy to counter the Lions third man up the ruck they seem to persist with. We have to keep speed in the side. Leon due to efforts in the Prelim and as scoring opption has earned his place. We just need relevant roles difficult for these tired Lions to match up on. Run them ragged all day catch them out of positions and we will have given it our best shot !! GO PIES !!!!
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
Taz2

Walker!!

Post by Taz2 »

I think if A-Rock gets rubbed out, Walker is the only change to come into the line up, Molloy was hobbling around the Stkilda Sea baths yesterday,
walker will have to present, chace, tackle and ruck. And he can do it all day long. Also walker is 195cm in the footy record, im convinced he is at least an inch taller he must still be growing. so going up against Charman and Keating both 197cm around the 100kg mark Walker can use his leap and or body.
peter_pies4ever

Post by peter_pies4ever »

If Ant goes, bring Walker in he can play at centre half forward and in the ruck. Against Sydney he had a wonderful 1st quarter playing on the forward line. I don't think Malthouse would play a debutant but he may.
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

Joel, you have a point, but I reckon watching the Willi game that it was the Willi listed players who did best, and no Collingwood player did that well. Cam Cloke has had a very solid year, but realistically, Walker has been in the senior side often and has done well enough to be considered ahead of all the other talls.
Taz2

Walker

Post by Taz2 »

Id love to see walker play (Id love even more for Rocca) But walker has to be considered above all others.
it would be weird looking at our line up with our A-Rock at CHF

F. L.Davis Kinnear Walker
HF. A.Didak Tarrant Holland
C. S.Burns Buckley Woewoden
HB. Shaw Prestigiacomo Clement
B. Johnson Wakelin Cloke
R. Fraser Licuria O'bree
INT. Scotland Cole Lokan Lonie

Looks so much stronger with Rocca
:cry:
Fatui Ataata

Post by Fatui Ataata »

I think listening to MM's comment that in finals you need to be somewhere between conservative and risktaking, Walker would be looking good. Its a dilemma though, Mckee's got the job done before and is steady however has his limitations as well. Walker's rawness and excuberence could either be his best attribute or his undoing in the pressure cooker of a GF.

Richardson & Molloy are not mobile enough and have recent or current injuries to overcome. I guess you could send Molloy out there with a license to kill a la Sheedy & Wallis but you still need back-up for Josh.

Having said all that, let us pray for Roc tonight!
Goldspink, Allan & Sheehan -
The 3 Stooges
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

The naming of the team come Thursday night is going to be one of the most eagerly anticipated all year, depending on the Rocca outcome. The 3 players named as emergencies will also be of great interest I believe, as I wouldnt expect MM to finalise his 22 until the last minute on Saturday (weather pending etc)

While we may lose Rocca, Brisbane will be without Lappin, Scott and Ashcroft, 3 walk up starts to there team, aswell as an underdone Voss and very suspect Akermanis. So in the end, its still going to be 22 against 22 (apologies for the cliche) and aslong as we are within striking distance at half-time our leg speed through Shaw, Lokan, Tarrant and Cole should see us run over the top of them. Lets just hope we can kick straight early, unlike last year.

GO PIES!