Post Prelim. Pies wallop Port. All comments here.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Chokers? No I don't think so, not one of us should say that. We won, quite simply, they were beaten by a better team. Nothing more to it, they were rattled, it could be seen early in the game. We were brilliant.

4 More Quarters.
Go Pies!
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

I'm still suffering from lack of sleep and trying to catch up on all the new posts this morning BUT WHAT A WEEKEND!!! Great game, great coach, great team, great result, great seats, great friends, great weather. WE'RE IN THE GRAND FINAL!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO! BRING IT ON! (Think my boss would notice if I quietly fell asleep under my desk!!!).

GO PIES!
Marg
Kelpelican

Post by Kelpelican »

When they kicked the first two goals some inbred in front of me said "so much for choking"

I dont think he said another word the whole game!!!!
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

The roar of the crowd was all you needed to tell that Collingwood had kicked a goal.

Upon hearing one such roar, while I was washing my hands, I remarked that Collingwood must have kicked another goal. Some Power joker, who had just walked in, said it was a Port goal and that it was the third in a row they had just kicked.

I replied that I was no longer sure what the roar sounded like when Port kicked a goal, because it had been so long since they kicked one.
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
M@®©

Post by M@®© »

AnthonyC wrote:Chokers? No I don't think so, not one of us should say that. We won, quite simply, they were beaten by a better team. Nothing more to it, they were rattled, it could be seen early in the game. We were brilliant.

4 More Quarters.
Sorry but they choked yes we do deserve credit but I wil Label them chokers ...I had to put up with Collywobbles for so many years !!!! Revenge is Sweet
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

The Weed Report

As The Weed watched this game unfold on the box, pre-match nervousness swiftly turned to cold, clammy fear. The Power Outages slammed on the first two goals, and worse, one of them was to Byron Pickett, quite possibly the most explosive player in the league on his day.

For about two minutes, the team looked slow, their minds left back at Couran Cove.

The next five minutes, however, were perhaps the most telling of the match. A gorgeous kick by Richie Cole, whose disposal in this game finally matched his endeavour, found Anthony Rocca and we were on the board. When Chris Tarrant marked in the pocket, looked for an option and, upon not finding one, drilled the goal himself, we were on terms.

What happened next will not be well remembered by Port fans. Early goals by perhaps our two most noted confidence players was all it took for the Teal Army to retreat into its oversized shell. Loathe as ever to risk giving up possession, Port dillied and dallied. When we patted them on the back, they duly coughed the ball up.

This game was, in so many ways, not won on the field of play.

Everything about Port was wrong. Not singing the club song; the keepings-off practice; the rested players all suggested a side that was several games ahead of itself.

Mark Williams, once an inspirational Collingwood captain, coaches like a man with a paralysing fear of failure. He knows too well about the Colliwobbles; he even tried to shoo the ancient curse on to our current group of players early in the week. It was a foolish move that only drew further attention to his own team's dismal record in finals.

Then there was the Primus/James debacle. Williams now admits he named Primus with no intention of playing him, hoping we would name McKee in the team. Memo Mark: this is the preliminary final, not theatre sports. Mick Malthouse is far too experienced to fall for amateur hour tactics.

Finally there were the baffling tactics on the ground itself. Gavin Wanganeen, the best attacking back-pocket in the game, was allowed to be taken out of the play by Matthew Lokan, a hard working but limited first-year player who doesn't need to get much of the ball to hold his place in the side. Chad Cornes was never going to cause as many problems in defence as he was capable of in attack, yet there he was, enabling Jason Cloke to play his favoured sweeping role on the opposite line.

Tredrea, a fine but oversold player, was thus left to try to fend off two opponents (Presti and Cloke) with only small forwards to keep him company. Given one of them was Shaun Burgoyne, reduced again to a spectator by James Clement, he never had a chance.

What was even more disturbing about Port, and Williams in particular, was the lack of ideas when put under the microscope. There were umpteen camera shots of Williams helplessly watching from the box, phone idle. There was no worse spectacle than the third quarter as Cloke played kick to kick with his spare counterpart, Brett Montgomery. It's bad enough playing catch-up football; impossible to do it with a defensive game plan.

Williams made one smart move, switching Kane Cornes onto Shane Woewodin after the blond one's rampant first quarter. It worked. But from there the focus shifts, finally, from Williams onto his players. Peter Burgoyne was smashed by Paul Licuria; Brodie Holland had less of the ball than Nick Stevens but did infinitely more damage with it; and Buckley was far too good for Stuart Cochrane.

After the match, The Weed was as subdued as the players' rendition of Good Old Collingwood Forever. Partly it was the stone cold reality of Rocca's report, partly the knowledge that now, again, the window of opportunity has slid open, and partly the realisation that, as good as the boys were, Port ultimately had beaten themselves again.

On the whole, though, the weekend has produced a great result. Brisbane and Collingwood have proven themselves clearly the best two sides in the competition and the most evenly matched.

Next week will see two great gladatorial teams in combat. This may be an unflattering analogy, but this Collingwood team plays football like a pack of hyenas - street smart, self-sacrificing, co-dependent but cunning, wearing down teams through endless harassment and not a little skill.

The Lions are brutal, brilliant, and still capable of ending the contest in minutes. But they are also nearly out on their feet.

Votes:

Mick Malthouse 3
Paul Licuria 2
Nathan Buckley 1

The Weed
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Pies4Premiers wrote: Sorry but they choked yes we do deserve credit but I wil Label them chokers ...I had to put up with Collywobbles for so many years !!!! Revenge is Sweet
Sorry, but I disagree, to suggest they choked IMO implies that they were a better side, and perhaps expected to win. Maybe against the swans but not this game. I would suggest that last and this year's QF's were perfect examples of choking, but not this game.
Go Pies!
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Great match report Weed......

GO THE MIGHTY PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!