Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

John Wren wrote:how does adelaide and the afl deal with this? there is no template. so many people affected by this.
It will certainly cause shock amongst the footballing world like it did to all of us upon hearing the news but I assume it would only be the Adelaide game that will end up being cancelled with points split between the two sides.

To postpone all games and put they season back a week would be a logistical nightmare, to cancel all games and not just the Adelaide one would seem extreme but could occur.

An appropriate minutes silence and wearing of arm bands will be observed if the games go ahead.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Donny
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Yes, Swoop. A tough one for the AFL.

Seems likely the Crows game could be postponed/cancelled but, other than getting 2 points each, how would it be rescheduled ?
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Vale Phil Walsh.

The tragedy and futility of domestic violence is a scourge on society. High profile cases such as this get enormous media coverage but thousands of people are affected every day. Time for society as a whole to work toward eradicating it. Any violence against man or beast is abhorrent and should not be tolerated.

Post by 3.14159 »

Tragic.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

I heard the news on the radio driving to work this morning. It actually impacted me, I felt shocked.

I never met the bloke, but for some reason that news really did hit.

RIP Phil Walsh. I'm sure there will be more info coming out eventually, I heard the SA Police statement earlier and it boiled down to Phil was dead, the wife was in hospital undergoing treatment so they couldn't talk to her and the son was in hospital undergoing assessment so they couldn't talk to him so pretty much anything else is speculation.

What will be very interesting is what happens to the Sunday game.

I can't see how it could go ahead, I can't see how it could be postponed, the only viable option seems to be to cancel it and give each team 2 points.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

this is awful,
RIP :cry:
GoWoodsmen

Post by GoWoodsmen »

stui magpie wrote:I heard the news on the radio driving to work this morning. It actually impacted me, I felt shocked.

RIP Phil Walsh. I'm sure there will be more info coming out eventually, I heard the SA Police statement earlier and it boiled down to Phil was dead, the wife was in hospital undergoing treatment so they couldn't talk to her and the son was in hospital undergoing assessment so they couldn't talk to him so pretty much anything else is speculation.

I can't see how it could go ahead, I can't see how it could be postponed, the only viable option seems to be to cancel it and give each team 2 points.
Seems absurd but I'm reading there's a chance it won't just be Sunday's game impacted. Sounds crazy but it's possible there'll be no footy this weekend.
Side By Side Forever
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

It may have been possible to have no footy and award every team two points. But it's too late now because the round has already started.
Last edited by Dangles on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

GoWoodsmen wrote:
stui magpie wrote:I heard the news on the radio driving to work this morning. It actually impacted me, I felt shocked.

Seems absurd but I'm reading there's a chance it won't just be Sunday's game impacted. Sounds crazy but it's possible there'll be no footy this weekend.
Particularly understandable that they consider cancelling the Crows v Cats game and he's worked at multiple other clubs so easy to understand the broader impacts. I think the AFL and the Adelaide football club will work out how best to respond, who knows, players might have some steely resolve to honour Walshy by playing. Not sure what to make of the potential cancellation of other games.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:Particularly understandable that they consider cancelling the Crows v Cats game and he's worked at multiple other clubs so easy to understand the broader impacts. I think the AFL and the Adelaide football club will work out how best to respond, who knows, players might have some steely resolve to honour Walshy by playing. Not sure what to make of the potential cancellation of other games.
My best guess is that the other games will go ahead and deep down I feel that Sunday's game might also go ahead with all the players committing the game to Walsh's memory. However this is all guesswork on my part.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I think it's important not to overreact.

And now when I say that I don't mean to be insensitive at all.

I like you was totally shocked and saddened when I heard the news but most of that comes from a sense of knowing Walsh because of his public profile.

It hits you harder but as the policeman said this morning what occurred wasn't a tragedy because he's the coach of Adelaide, it's always a tragedy for family and friends to lose a loved one in such circumstances no matter the profile.

So for those who loved, liked and respected him at the Adelaide football club it's totally understandable they wont be wanting to play this weekend.

If coaches or players at other AFL clubs who had a personal relationship with him during his career feel the same then that's totally acceptable also.

If I was a Geelong supporter I'd totally understand the game being cancelled and would agree with it.

For the rest though once the initial shock and sadness passes I think they would be capable of taking to the field and playing our great game of football.

In truth it's probably what Phil Walsh a man consumed by the game would have wanted.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
GoWoodsmen

Post by GoWoodsmen »

In reality I dare say it's going to be nigh on impossible to cancel a weekend of football at a moments notice. I suspect, despite lengthy agreements and what not that even the TV stations would be understanding in the situation.

I think the thing with Walsh is that he touched so many lives. To be honest I didn't even know he'd played for Collingwood! I was 7 at the time. Anyway from what I understand Alistair Clarkson worked very closely with him at Port Adelaide (I think), he was a fitness coach at Geelong (cue the Phil Walsh cup from now on) and it goes on.

Point is it is highly likely that it's not just the Adelaide Football Club who are going to be struggling to function today, tomorrow and the next day. It's the proximity to the weekend's football that makes this a bloody tough call. Having said that, I guess most players in the game are too young to have known him personally unless you're in Adelaide so technically it shouldn't have too great an impact on the men who are expected to go out there and belt the daylights out of each other chasing a bit of leather.

RIP.
Side By Side Forever
Bob Sugar

Post by Bob Sugar »

Absolute tragedy, but, the show must go on..
Defender...........

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Defender wrote:Absolute tragedy, but, the show must go on..
Succinct and to the point. I fully agree.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
woftam

Post by woftam »

Shocking news - RIP Phil.