Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I heard they have a good restaurant is full of 'reading materials' and he or she've had a few people sit down at the table with him or her trying to spread the good word but the food is amazing and at $5point 50 for an entire meal plus dessert plus a drink and free refills he or she reckon they're doing a great service for the homeless and other people struggling with money.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:One of my favourite places to eat in the city is a Hare Krishna joint on Swanston Street. Their restaurant is full of 'reading materials', and I've had a few people sit down at the table with me trying to spread the good word, but the food is amazing and at $5.50 for an entire meal plus dessert plus a drink (and free refills), I reckon they're doing a great service for the homeless and other people struggling with money ... even if they are a bit of a creepy cult!
Geez are they still there? :shock:

I remember popping in one time back in the 80's to try it out. Didn't like it much, found it horribly bland.

Maybe they've upgraded their recipes. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Yep, up the staircase, just near Little Collins Street. :)

It could just be that I have unsophisticated tastes. Though they do have a 7-day rotating menu nowadays, so there's a bit of variety at least.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

The recipe hasn't been invented IMHO that can make any dish based on lentils not taste bland unless they comprise less than 20% of the volume of the dish. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Jezza wrote:It's unlikely ISIS shot down the Russian plane or assigned somebody with the task to plant a bomb on the plane but I won't rule it out completely. The most realistic conclusion is that they're doing this for propaganda purposes especially since Russia is relentless in its campaign to destroy ISIS and Assad's enemies in Syria.
Russian plane crash WAS caused by bomb as President Putin vows to hunt terrorists responsible

The Russian plane crash which killed 224 people in Egypt was caused by a bomb on board, it has been confirmed.

Russian security services said investigations have revealed traces of explosives among the debris.

According to local report, Federal Security Service director Aleksandr Bortnikov has told Russian President Vladimir Putin: "We can say that [the plane crash] was a terrorist act".

"During the flight, a homemade device with the power of 1.5kg of TNT was detonated.

"As a result, the plane fell apart in the air, which can be explained by the huge scattering of the fuselage parts of the plane."

Putin has promised to find the culprits.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-ne ... mb-6845451

Oh dear - Putin is now very pissed off - be afraid very afraid daesh cowards!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

http://tribune.com.pk/story/991322/man- ... in-london/

My mistake, this probably belongs in the 'Bad things done to Muslims' thread.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:http://tribune.com.pk/story/991322/man-pushes-muslim-woman-into-oncoming-underground-train-in-london/

My mistake, this probably belongs in the 'Bad things done to Muslims' thread.
Truly awful, thankfully she survived. They don't say if she knew him? Was this a religious thing or a personal thing? What religion is he? Or an ice addict thing? A few more details are needed.

Still beats being half buried and stoned to death by your own family
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

This happens here and there on the tube used by ca 4 million people per day, including a number of people deinstitutionalised from psychiatric institutions. It was probably racially motivated in this case, but who knows ? Since the victim was not actually pushed into the path of an oncoming train, it seems an assault rather than attempted murder. We do not know whether the cause was her Muslim habit or not.

What matters is the frequency and patterns of violence against vulnerable communities, which must be dealt with - severely - at a policy level ; or very serious instances of violence involving GBH. This article really addresses neither.
Two more flags before I die!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:Yep, up the staircase, just near Little Collins Street. :)

It could just be that I have unsophisticated tastes. Though they do have a 7-day rotating menu nowadays, so there's a bit of variety at least.
They have a 6 day rotating menu unless things have changed recently. When i was riding my bike to work I'd often grab a take away to work. Prices are more expensive now but still very cheap.

Their religion is devotional & does not approve of: sex before marriage, alcohol or drugs & they do not use onions or garlic (seen as stimulants) but use asafoetida or "hing" a root like tuber I think that has a similar taste to onion.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Morrigu wrote:
Jezza wrote:It's unlikely ISIS shot down the Russian plane or assigned somebody with the task to plant a bomb on the plane but I won't rule it out completely. The most realistic conclusion is that they're doing this for propaganda purposes especially since Russia is relentless in its campaign to destroy ISIS and Assad's enemies in Syria.
Russian plane crash WAS caused by bomb as President Putin vows to hunt terrorists responsible

The Russian plane crash which killed 224 people in Egypt was caused by a bomb on board, it has been confirmed.

Russian security services said investigations have revealed traces of explosives among the debris.

According to local report, Federal Security Service director Aleksandr Bortnikov has told Russian President Vladimir Putin: "We can say that [the plane crash] was a terrorist act".

"During the flight, a homemade device with the power of 1.5kg of TNT was detonated.

"As a result, the plane fell apart in the air, which can be explained by the huge scattering of the fuselage parts of the plane."

Putin has promised to find the culprits.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-ne ... mb-6845451

Oh dear - Putin is now very pissed off - be afraid very afraid daesh cowards!
Very sad for the victims that they've died for absolutely nothing.

I will admit I was wrong about the bomb prediction but I was really hoping it wasn't the cause before it was officially confirmed by Putin and the Russian government.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ Skids, I think you must have misunderstood my post. I was not bagging you for that suggestion. I assumed it was a bomb planted by Islamists, though it is more probably some local sect than IS proper. It happened very quickly after Putin bombed IS, and therefore - unless IS can operate at will - it looked to me as though it was already in train by some locl Egyptian nutter group which probably just switched from a British plane to a Russian one after Putin intervened.

That begs the question of why Putin put Russia in the firing line by taking on IS when he had no need to. There is no great strategic issue at stake for Russia in Syria. My hypothesis was that Putin is happy to provoke terrorism against Russians because it lets him play the game he is best at - being the protector and hard man in response.
Two more flags before I die!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

watt price tully wrote:They have a 6 day rotating menu unless things have changed recently.
Boy, that's either a very slow sushi train, or one huge restaurant!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids

Post by Skids »

Mugwump wrote:^ Skids, I think you must have misunderstood my post. I was not bagging you for that suggestion. I assumed it was a bomb planted by Islamists, though it is more probably some local sect than IS proper. It happened very quickly after Putin bombed IS, and therefore - unless IS can operate at will - it looked to me as though it was already in train by some locl Egyptian nutter group which probably just switched from a British plane to a Russian one after Putin intervened.

Oh, okay 8)
Skids

Post by Skids »

The Isis militant group has released the new edition of its propaganda magazine, in which it claims to reveal how it brought down the Russian jet over Sinai.

The edition of the "Dabiq" magazine, published in English by an Isis media arm, claims the plane was bombed using an improvised explosive device hidden inside a can of Schweppes Gold pineapple juice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39311.html