Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ yes, it's all about their white robes. My mum used to make robes like that, and whenever i see someone in clean white robes, i go weak at the knees.

Indeed, we do not and cannot know. If we did, then we could run all this stuff through an algorithm and get the right answer. But given the oil economy is not going to end overnight or in the next ten years, and given the amount of mayhem that may be exported or cause misery to innocents in the ME in ten years, we have to make judgements about how our interests can best be protected, and act accordingly. I'd have thought that, post Iraq, our interests lie in stability and in the short-term destruction of Daesh and any successor bodies.

In that regard, if the driving force of the present violence against us seems to be the threat and explosiveness of Sunni grievance and disenfranchisement in Iraq and Syria, so it is probably not wise to attack (via sanctions or anything else) the preeminent Sunni power in the region right now. But it is a judgement, and Saudi Arabia must understand that our continued support is dependent upon them working with us to deescalate this situation in Iraq and Syria.

It may be tempting to seal the region off and hope it all gets resolved via a locals-only killing match followed by a settlement, but clearly recent months have shown that this is not the world we live in.
Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two more flags before I die!
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Not sure if talking about choir boys or klu klux klan :shock: :?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ you need to read ptid's post aboveTP. Apparently I'm overly influenced by the fact the Saudis wear nice white robes. Go figure.

Not keen on choirboys, definitely not the Kkk but I am partial to the odd Druid on a cold evening.
Two more flags before I die!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Mugwump wrote:^ you need to read ptid's post aboveTP. Apparently I'm overly influenced by the fact the Saudis wear nice white robes. Go figure.

Not keen on choirboys, definitely not the Kkk but I am partial to the odd Druid on a cold evening.
Haha yeah I did, it wasn't a crack at anyone, just an observation!!!!!!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

"Two Palestinian girls, aged 14 and 16, stabbed a Palestinian man in his 70s with a pair of scissors, thinking he was an Israeli Jew".

Source: Most news outlets

One is shot dead (the older) the other is shot & injured.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive

Post by think positive »

oops, i thought the first line was the start of a joke, thats awful, (sos my sense of humour) who shot them?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Israeli soldiers, presumably.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Israeli soldiers, presumably.
So, soldiers shot people for taking out their, the soldiers, enemy?
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

2015.11.24 Egypt al-Araish - 6 dead 12 injured
Two bombings at a hotel, one a suicide attack, leave six others dead.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/mi ... Sinai.html

2015.11.24 Tunisia Tunis 12 dead 16 injured
A dozen people on a bus are reduced to pulb by a Religion of Peace bomb blast.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 47166.html
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Skids

Post by Skids »

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Couldn't work out the most appropriate thread so just picked this one!

Saudi authorities appear set in the next few days to carry out a series of beheadings across the country of more than 50 men convicted of terrorism offences. Among those facing execution are three young men who were juveniles when they were arrested.

The publication earlier this week of an article in the newspaper Okaz, which has close links to the Saudi Ministry of the Interior, has convinced families of the accused and concerned human-rights organisations that the executions are imminent.

Sources have said that the plan is to behead the men in several cities across the kingdom, most likely after Friday prayers

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/sau ... CID=HPCDHP

:? Why do they seem to do bad things after Friday prayers?? Is it that they prayed for strength to do bad things?

Genuine question - anyone know?

And how the hell do they have a seat on the UN Humans Rights thingy :shock:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Skids

Post by Skids »

2015.11.26 Bangladesh Horipur attack 1 Dead 3 wounded
Five terrorists enter a Shiite mosque and open fire on worshippers, killing a 70-year-old man.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a7b4875b ... esh-1-dead

2015.11.25 Niger Wogom 18 dead 11 wounded
Boko Haram members wade into a village, hacking and shooting eighteen residents to death.

http://news.yahoo.com/18-killed-boko-ha ... 25219.html

2015.11.25 India Tanghdar 1 1 Jaish-e-Mohammad gunmen storm a camp and kill a civilian.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/firing-a ... or-1247318
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Morrigu wrote:Couldn't work out the most appropriate thread so just picked this one!

Saudi authorities appear set in the next few days to carry out a series of beheadings across the country of more than 50 men convicted of terrorism offences. Among those facing execution are three young men who were juveniles when they were arrested.

The publication earlier this week of an article in the newspaper Okaz, which has close links to the Saudi Ministry of the Interior, has convinced families of the accused and concerned human-rights organisations that the executions are imminent.

Sources have said that the plan is to behead the men in several cities across the kingdom, most likely after Friday prayers

:? Why do they seem to do bad things after Friday prayers?? Is it that they prayed for strength to do bad things?

I dunno, there seem to be more than enough people here who are happy with the idea of terrorists being beheaded.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids

Post by Skids »

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:Couldn't work out the most appropriate thread so just picked this one!

I dunno, there seem to be more than enough people here who are happy with the idea of terrorists being beheaded.
Twice :twisted:
Skids

Post by Skids »

2015.11.28 Mali Kidal 3 dead 20 wounded
Jihadis fire a rocket at a UN facility, killing three people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34952987