Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

David wrote:Here's the original poll those claims are based on:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... apoll.html

(No idea about the credibility or methodology of the poll itself, mind you - it's run by an American organisation called 'Terror Free Tomorrow' which is associated with figures like Bill Clinton and John McCain.)

The only particularly eyebrow-raising result in that poll is the 75% affirmative for the question "Do you support financial assistance for Iraqi fighters, the Palestinian groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, and Hizbullah?". This may sound alarming if you automatically translate this as "75% of Syrians support terrorism" (the soundbite Skids and his mates in the Barbarossa-sphere are licking their lips over), but the facts are not nearly so simple. The organisations listed play dual roles - both as fundamentalist aggressors and also as a perceived resistance force.

If you asked Australians in a nationwide poll tomorrow if they support terrorism, 99% would probably say no. Yet if we were being attacked by a foreign power, how many do you think would oppose, say, bombing military checkpoints if it were to prove strategically beneficial? Hell, if our flag-waving anti-Islamic patriots lived up to their personas, they'd be strapping bombs on themselves.

In 2007, Palestine and Iraq were actively at war and Lebanon, if I recall correctly, had just endured a massive bombing campaign and partial invasion from Israel. These groups were on the frontline of those respective conflicts. That's not a defence of any of these groups. All of them have targeted civilians, not just soldiers. But when they're your only functional resistance, or your close ally's only functional resistance, you're inclined to be at least somewhat favourably inclined towards them.

We wouldn't ever support such monsters, though, would we? Lol. Yeah right. Have a read through some recent threads on here to see how pious we feel about civilian casualties in a 'necessary' war. That doesn't mean that I actually think any of the posters here airily waving away victims of drone strikes would willingly pull out a kalashnikov and start murdering civilians themselves. Most people aren't like that. Likewise, I wonder how many people campaigning for refugee families to be barred from entering the country would be willing to stand at the threshold of a squalid, disease-ridden refugee camp and drag them back in. I guess there's a big difference between abstract support of bad things being done by other people and actually doing it yourself, isn't there?
The problem with relativism, David, is that it makes everything possible. I think your argument is that, since Iraq was invaded by a foreign power, that makes killing occupying soldiers (but not civilians) ok. So if I read you correctly, you are actually in favour of anyone making a choice to kill (say) any Australian soldiers in Iraq because they are an occupying power ? Or if not in favour, then you apparently consider it unobjectionable ?

The trouble with this position is that, ultimately, it leads to a hell of nihilistic relativism. Are the aboriginals justified in killing white Australian military ? Were the Timorese entitled to start planting bombs on Australian streets after Australia acquiesced to the Indonesian invasion in 1975 ? Where does it end ?

Ultimately, values are irreducibly subjective, and you need to take sides. If you choose to take the side of those who wish to kill a young soldier of the liberal society that protects you and feeds you, when that young man is trying (at some stupid politician's behest) to impose order and democracy on a society that is collapsing into anarchy, then I think you are in a bad place.
Two more flags before I die!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Yes, it makes *anything* possible. To somehow think possibility is a bad thing is actually the nihilism here: "We have a gut feeling that we're right and superior and we'll fight for it whatever the cost because there's no other choice!"

Complete nihilism of the sort which led fools to cheer on Afghanistan and Iraq, thereby worsening every menace imaginable for everyone. "Yes, but at least we weren't relativists with all their...possibility."

Taking up the discipline of clearing subjective absurdities off the table right from the outset ("a child of my kind is worth more than a child of their kind"; "terrorism is justified when we do it because our perspective is right"; "we're the superior humans here") forces us to identify and negotiate optimal outcomes.

This is not "relativism" at all; it's science and rationality. It draws on the common Homo sapiens within us and forces us to find a solution which the vast bulk of humans everywhere want (including many caught up in crazed environments through no real choice of their own). This always includes stability, employment, housing, economic opportunity, etc.

It is a mark of maturity and discipline to pursue possibility because it requires great determination and gratification delay to override cheap gut reactions. But to do so first means putting aside our inner exceptionalist fantasies and accepting the basic tautology that the average human is...average.

Oh, but the guilty pleasures of feeling above average and fighting the good fight against the forces of evil!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

Yet another mass shooting in the USA.

Just about when everyone wa about to start climbing into the US Gun Laws yet again (and rightly so), at least one of the shooters was Muslim.

Be interesting to see how that fact impacts the narrative from the media, both social and traditional, over the next few days.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... f689b5ce26
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

It'd be ironic and quite predictable if this was automatically recast as a 'Muslim' issue. Of course the Republicans will be pleased; both a distraction from the fact that their gun laws have failed them again, and an opportunity to push their anti-refugee barrow.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

But it may well be a Muslim issue, we just don't know yet as there aren't enough facts.

There's potential ammunition for all different sides of the debates.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

David

Post by David »

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

HAL wrote:Tell me more about your thread WPT read the title 8 And if you don't like the facts that he or she provide links forhow do YOU determine their CREDIBILITY dear sir.
Even Hal makes more sense than the apologists.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

A little more.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

David wrote:It'd be ironic and quite predictable if this was automatically recast as a 'Muslim' issue. Of course the Republicans will be pleased; both a distraction from the fact that their gun laws have failed them again, and an opportunity to push their anti-refugee barrow.
Ironic?

It's a fact these 2 swore allegiance to ISIS. Sorry to disappoint you.

And gun laws .... pfft. They stop innocent people having guns. Criminals will ALWAYS be able to get whatever they want. FMD, I'm no criminal, but I could have a handgun in my possession before you finish your muesli this morning.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »