Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Pa Marmo wrote:
watt price tully wrote:The same ones that stated Obama is a Muslim Pa?
He is a Muslim, open your eyes.
I'll say this much ... Obama is more of a Muslim than Donald Trump is a Christian.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_ ... y_theories

Mother Muslim, turned atheist
Step father nominal Muslim, but he only lived with him briefly as a young child.

He was raised with out religion, and chose Christianity later in life. Who knows if it was because he wanted to go into politics? That's a personal choice.

So are you born Muslim? Because if you are he was! But Muslim is a religion, not a race. I can understand the suspicion, a secret Muslim president is a scary thought.

He goes to a Christian church, so do you take his word for it?

I really don't care TBH, but I tell you what, God forbid we ever have a Muslim head of state here! (Yeah I meant that!)
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_religion_conspiracy_theories

Step father nominal Muslim, but he only lived with him briefly as a young child.

He was raised with out religion, and chose Christianity later in life. Who knows if it was because he wanted to go into politics? That's a personal choice.

So are you born Muslim? Because if you are he was! But Muslim is a religion, not a race. I can understand the suspicion, a secret Muslim president is a scary thought.

I really don't care TBH, but I tell you what, God forbid we ever have a Muslim head of state here! (Yeah I meant that!)
So Pa gave you some of the same home brew too 🙄
The first paragraph you quoted was explaining the false allegations ... Pa is beyond help - addiction to the off home brew - but even sipping it is bad for you.

I could handle Waleed Ali as PM - except for the fact his lot eat their own: bloody Richmond supporters
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_religion_conspiracy_theories

In the first paragraph you quoted it explaining the false allegations ... Pa is beyond help - addiction to the off home brew - but even sipping it is bad for you.

I could handle Waleed Ali as PM - except for the fact his lot eat their own: bloody Richmond supporters
Really? Those cracks are necessary?

Re read my post without your bloody bias.

I posted a link that SAYS it's a conspiracy. So what do you THINK I believe?

Because I KNOW Pa you think I agree with everything he says? We disagree on a lot of things, and have had some fairly colourful conversations about them. I'm not a sheep. Check my citizenship. Cheers

And by the way, Respect, as taught by Christianity, is a two way street, respect goes both ways. I see Pa post his beliefs, which he is entitled to by the way, and I see you belittle his, and now me, incorrectly, I might add, I don't see him belittling yours.

No wonder this place gets deserted.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

In the first paragraph you quoted it explaining the false allegations ... Pa is beyond help - addiction to the off home brew - but even sipping it is bad for you.

Because I KNOW Pa you think I agree with everything he says? We disagree on a lot of things, and have had some fairly colourful conversations about them. I'm not a sheep. Check my citizenship. Cheers

And by the way, Respect, as taught by Christianity, is a two way street, respect goes both ways. I see Pa post his beliefs, which he is entitled to by the way, and I see you belittle his, and now me, incorrectly, I might add, I don't see him belittling yours.

I did check ur birth certificate: an English Muslim. I knew it. You attended Madrassas as a child, swore allegiance to the Grand Mufti & have sworn a life long ban of bacon. Or that could be halal porkies.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

What an offensive post. I see absolutely no reason to believe that, say, Labor's Ed Husic would make a less suitable PM than anyone in his party or on the other side of the chamber. We live in a secular, multicultural society, which means that we have no business barring an individual of any religion from any realm of public life on account of their religion.

The only truth to the Obama conspiracy theories is that, in America, the separation of church and state is so weak that a presidential candidate stands no chance of election without professing faith in a Christian denomination of some form or other. So, it is plausible that Obama's Christianity is somewhat nominal. Nevertheless, I think it's pretty well established that he has been involved with his church for a long time, and there is no sensible reason to doubt his faith (in particular) any more than that of presidents like Clinton, Reagan or Nixon.

As with those presidents, there is a slight chance he is actually an atheist in private. He always struck me as too intelligent to be a Christian (sorry Christians; if it makes you feel any better, I feel the same about Waleed Aly). But a Muslim? That's just laughable. With no disparagement intended towards those who believe it, that's one of the most idiotic conspiracy theories I've ever heard.

But what if he was? Let's drink the kool-aid and imagine that Obama secretly prays to Mecca every day and has his own copy of the Koran in the oval office desk drawer. Why exactly is that 'scary'? He has been president for seven years. His executive orders as president are on public record. If these loony conspiracy theories were true, wouldn't that be a great advertisement for Muslims in public office? That we should be so lucky to have 'Muslims' like that in our parliament!

What you should be really worried about is that America might get an evangelical Christian as president in 2017. Now that's scary. Hopefully, with Abbott's demise, we have seen the last of such types in power down here.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

The difference though is, if someone is genuinely a Muslim, not just saying it in the same way some people call themselves Christian when they aren't even religious, the core belief systems of Islam are utterly incompatible with western society. They can't believe in the separation of church and state and genuinely be Muslim and that's a problem if in an elected position.

Barry has shown no signs of being Muslim in any of his behaviour over 7 years as president, so I'm in the more likely to be practically agnostic and putting on the facade for office.

It's true that in America they have some different basic beliefs than here. We think they're so similar but they're really quite a different culture.

Someone like Gillard would have seriously struggled to get elected to anything let alone a position of power like PM. Unmarried self confessed atheist living "in sin", political poison over there which we should take as a compliment to our society.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:

What an offensive post. I see absolutely no reason to believe that, say, Labor's Ed Husic would make a less suitable PM than anyone in his party or on the other side of the chamber. We live in a secular, multicultural society, which means that we have no business barring an individual of any religion from any realm of public life on account of their religion.

The only truth to the Obama conspiracy theories is that, in America, the separation of church and state is so weak that a presidential candidate stands no chance of election without professing faith in a Christian denomination of some form or other. So, it is plausible that Obama's Christianity is somewhat nominal. Nevertheless, I think it's pretty well established that he has been involved with his church for a long time, and there is no sensible reason to doubt his faith (in particular) any more than that of presidents like Clinton, Reagan or Nixon.

As with those presidents, there is a slight chance he is actually an atheist in private. He always struck me as too intelligent to be a Christian (sorry Christians; if it makes you feel any better, I feel the same about Waleed Aly). But a Muslim? That's just laughable. With no disparagement intended towards those who believe it, that's one of the most idiotic conspiracy theories I've ever heard.

But what if he was? Let's drink the kool-aid and imagine that Obama secretly prays to Mecca every day and has his own copy of the Koran in the oval office desk drawer. Why exactly is that 'scary'? He has been president for seven years. His executive orders as president are on public record. If these loony conspiracy theories were true, wouldn't that be a great advertisement for Muslims in public office? That we should be so lucky to have 'Muslims' like that in our parliament!

What you should be really worried about is that America might get an evangelical Christian as president in 2017. Now that's scary. Hopefully, with Abbott's demise, we have seen the last of such types in power down here.
Cheers mod, you skip right past the bit where it's obvious I don't think he is a Muslim, you skip right past WPT sarcastic supposedly funny digs at me, and tell me I'm offensive because I don't want a fanatical Muslim leader as prime minister. You also skipped the bit where I said I don't care, since their ruling doesn't effect me directly!

Ok. Got it, don't disagree with those in power, or actually, don't agree with them, which is it, I'm confused now?
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:The difference though is, if someone is genuinely a Muslim, not just saying it in the same way some people call themselves Christian when they aren't even religious, the core belief systems of Islam are utterly incompatible with western society. They can't believe in the separation of church and state and genuinely be Muslim and that's a problem if in an elected position.

Barry has shown no signs of being Muslim in any of his behaviour over 7 years as president, so I'm in the more likely to be practically agnostic and putting on the facade for office.

It's true that in America they have some different basic beliefs than here. We think they're so similar but they're really quite a different culture.

Someone like Gillard would have seriously struggled to get elected to anything let alone a position of power like PM. Unmarried self confessed atheist living "in sin", political poison over there which we should take as a compliment to our society.
Needs those big hands clapping
think positive

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote: So Pa gave you some of the same home brew too 🙄

I did check ur birth certificate: an English Muslim. I knew it. You attended Madrassas as a child, swore allegiance to the Grand Mufti & have sworn a life long ban of bacon. Or that could be halal porkies.
Yeah I just did a check on you, it says born yesterday, grow up.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:The difference though is, if someone is genuinely a Muslim, not just saying it in the same way some people call themselves Christian when they aren't even religious, the core belief systems of Islam are utterly incompatible with western society. They can't believe in the separation of church and state and genuinely be Muslim and that's a problem if in an elected position.
There's a lot more to Islam than fundamentalist literalism, you know. By the same token you could argue that 'true' Christianity is incompatible with modern Western society. Clearly, a great number of people adapt their religious beliefs to the cultural context in which they live (and I'm not just talking about 'liberal' Muslims here, I'm talking about devout, go to the church/mosque/synagogue every week Christians/Muslims/Jews). The people who invented the very idea of separation of church and state were, for the most part, devout Christians. That's not a position that's compatible with fundamentalist Christianity, but here we are. Islam is no different.
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:Cheers mod, you skip right past the bit where it's obvious I don't think he is a Muslim, you skip right past WPT sarcastic supposedly funny digs at me, and tell me I'm offensive because I don't want a fanatical Muslim leader as prime minister. You also skipped the bit where I said I don't care, since their ruling doesn't effect me directly!
You didn't say 'fanatical'. If you want to avoid being misinterpreted, you should choose your words more carefully. What you wrote was very offensive.

(Also, I thought this was obvious, but unless I'm posting 'as a mod', my opinion is clearly my own.)
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:
think positive wrote:Cheers mod, you skip right past the bit where it's obvious I don't think he is a Muslim, you skip right past WPT sarcastic supposedly funny digs at me, and tell me I'm offensive because I don't want a fanatical Muslim leader as prime minister. You also skipped the bit where I said I don't care, since their ruling doesn't effect me directly!
You didn't say 'fanatical'. If you want to avoid being misinterpreted, you should choose your words more carefully. What you wrote was very offensive.

(Also, I thought this was obvious, but unless I'm posting 'as a mod', my opinion is clearly my own.)
Thought I was being obvious too sorry

My opinion is also my own, I should get that consideration from WPFT
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:
There's a lot more to Islam than fundamentalist literalism, you know. By the same token you could argue that 'true' Christianity is incompatible with modern Western society. Clearly, a great number of people adapt their religious beliefs to the cultural context in which they live (and I'm not just talking about 'liberal' Muslims here, I'm talking about devout, go to the church/mosque/synagogue every week Christians/Muslims/Jews). The people who invented the very idea of separation of church and state were, for the most part, devout Christians. That's not a position that's compatible with fundamentalist Christianity, but here we are. Islam is no different.
If you think fundamental Christianity and fundamental Islam are even remotely similar you need to do some more reading. The foundation of each may be the old testament but the teachings of Mohammad could not be more different than the teachings of Jesus.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Doesn't matter. We all know what fundamentalist Christianity looks like and it's not a pretty sight. The only main difference is that it hasn't held any significant power in most Western societies for a long time now (America is a different story, but even there it's only more of a 30% thing). But my point isn't to say that Islam and Christianity are identical; my point is that it's totally incorrect to say that 'genuine Islam' is incompatible with Western society.

The Islam that is practised by most Muslims is, of course, completely compatible with Western society. That's why the vast majority of Muslims here co-exist with their fellow Australians peacefully.