Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Top stuff P4S.

Number 8 for mine.

Leon's passing did not make it on the ABC news app. I'm still waiting for their reply to my email as to why that was the case. No doubt an age thing....

MM

PS: There is/was a colour video on Youtube from the Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour of Cry Me A River. I have the colour version of the Letter somewhere too. Damn it the whole show is worth a watch/listen folks😀
Only the Last Waltz, Derek & Dominoes and Chicago at Tanglewood compare in this general style IMHO
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^ One of my most cherished possessions is a Hip-O-Select 6CD set of the 4 complete Fillmore East concerts from which the Mad Dogs and Englishman album was made. Unfortunately, the famous recording of Cry Me A River from that album doesn't seem to have been filmed (or, if it was, the film hasn't surfaced) and, remarkably, that song wasn't in the film (although, as you say, other versions are floating around YouTube).

As a kid, taken by my older brother to the local cinema to see a summer-holiday screening of Mad Dogs, Leon had a huge impact on me. He was one of those very few genuinely impeccable musicians who had style, timing and taste: he opened my eyes to the possibilities of playing something that wasn't Beethoven, Chopin or Liszt on the piano. And, even now, I am still amazed by the precision of his attack - you can play all the notes Leon played in precisely the right order but you just can't play Leon.

As for the Mad Dogs, they must really have been the greatest collection of musicians ever collected in one place. As C Michael Bailey said in his wonderful 2006 review of the 35th anniversary releases for All About Jazz, "They made history as if they did it every day."

And Leon was the absolute centre of it all.
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Very sad. He has been on my playlist since the 70's.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^^ Leon's been on everyone's playlist since the 60s - they just didn't always know it. :wink:
sherrife

Vale Trevor Grant - Pies fan/sports writer/refugee advocate

Post by sherrife »

It's a sad day, Trevor Grant died this morning of asbestosis (thanks again James Hardie).

He was a lifelong pies fan, a great writer about the intersection between sports and politics and spent his last years campaigning for justice for Tamil refugees fleeing the genocide in Sri Lanka.

Please read this wonderful article he wrote on being diagnosed with cancer last year:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/g ... er/7299940

He will be remembered.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Sad. Condolences to his family
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Well done. All i saw was a blank post.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

very sad, I recall his sports articles well.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

sad news, i read a lot of his stuff over the years... terrible thing cancer..
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

Wasn't just cancer, it was asbestosis, ie. murder by James Hardie executives. They should all be in jail.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

A frirnd of mine worked as a compositor for years in those buildings and died in his early 60s. Because he had no kids or wife James Hardie gets a freebie

RIP Trev and Brian
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Poor Bloke , Condolences to a fellow Magpie.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

ronrat wrote:A frirnd of mine worked as a compositor for years in those buildings and died in his early 60s. Because he had no kids or wife James Hardie gets a freebie

RIP Trev and Brian
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Did you read Trevor's article I posted in the thread? It's beautiful, written with people like your mate in mind.