Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw wrote:People were told to remain in their homes, so it's unsurprising that they were in their homes when their homes were bombed. There are apparently still around 400,000 civilians trapped in Western Mosul.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -civilians
'Mosul's Governor, Nofal al-Akoub, refused to comment, pending the outcome of the investigation.

"In battle, military mistakes are made. But all mistakes are ultimately because of the presence of Daesh," he said.'

Goodness, gracious me!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-03/m ... ct/8491320
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Pies4shaw wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/01/indian-mob-beats-two-muslims-to-death-over-suspected-cow-theft
Steal or kill a pig or 2 in PNG and see what happens.Shoot a hornbill in the Borneo interior and the dayaks catch you good luck. It is not about religious difference but more of ingrained culture.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Christian Copts murdered in Egypt.

I'm assuming it's the usual perpetrators the Muslim Brotherhood or another salafist (read fundamentalist movement)

http://www.theage.com.au/world/gunmen-k ... wec5p.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

watt price tully wrote:Christian Copts murdered in Egypt.

I'm assuming it's the usual perpetrators the Muslim Brotherhood or another salafist (read fundamentalist movement)l
Yep I'm thinking the same thing as well.

Terrible :(
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

ISIS liked to bomb blast in East Jakarta about 3 days ago

"...Indonesian police have arrested three people suspected of being linked to twin suicide bombings in Jakarta, as Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks that killed three police officers and wounded 12 others.

The attack at the busy Kampung Melayu bus terminal on Wednesday night was the deadliest in Indonesia since a January 2016 suicide and gun strike in the capital that left four civilians and four assailants dead..."

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... -i-s-.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

ISIS seem to be establishing a presence in the Philippines now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-25/r ... ps/8559082
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Jezza wrote:ISIS seem to be establishing a presence in the Philippines now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-25/r ... ps/8559082
Isis are dealing with a madman. He had drug dealers shot on sight. He won't tolerate this nonsense. Duerte does not listen to the USA, to ASEAN or anybody but himself. I can see a stream of muslim refugees heading to malaysia and Indonesia very soon. Villages, crops and mosques will be razed to the ground. This is the tactical football equivalent of smacking Tony Lockett in the mouth and calling him fat in the first 5 minutes. It will end badly.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Oppression radicalises. That's not an excuse or justification; it's a simple statement of cause and effect. No surprise that Islamic extremism is flourishing under regimes as hyper-authoritarian as Egypt and the Philippines.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

David wrote:Oppression radicalises. That's not an excuse or justification; it's a simple statement of cause and effect. No surprise that Islamic extremism is flourishing under regimes as hyper-authoritarian as Egypt and the Philippines.
Yet in the other thread you use Egypt as an example of where there are a majority of muslims and a separation of church and state.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Oppression doesn't radicalise, terrorism is the entirely predictable product of a religion that offers paradise for killing non believers, is and always has been spread through conquest and forceful immigration and deals with any dissent, heresy or apostasy with the death penalty.

Poland wont accept Muslim refugees and has pretty much 0 terrorism. Germany next door and France are riddled with it. The countries that are opening their arms to these snakes are the ones being bitten, not the 'oppressors'.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Wokko wrote:Oppression doesn't radicalise, terrorism is the entirely predictable product of a religion that offers paradise for killing non believers, is and always has been spread through conquest and forceful immigration and deals with any dissent, heresy or apostasy with the death penalty.

Poland wont accept Muslim refugees and has pretty much 0 terrorism. Germany next door and France are riddled with it. The countries that are opening their arms to these snakes are the ones being bitten, not the 'oppressors'.
Sweden is the most notable example of a country that has largely stayed out of international conflicts, but has opened the borders only for it to endure the wrath of terrorism as well.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

David wrote:Oppression radicalises. That's not an excuse or justification; it's a simple statement of cause and effect. No surprise that Islamic extremism is flourishing under regimes as hyper-authoritarian as Egypt and the Philippines.
It seems that tolerance and decency radicalises too, given the number of murders being committed by people who have grown up in Western society with no real experience of oppression at all.
Two more flags before I die!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Mugwump wrote:
It seems that tolerance and decency radicalises too, given the number of murders being committed by people who have grown up in Western society with no real experience of oppression at all.
I suspect the problem is that islam is so indoctrinating, authoritarian and controlling, that even the ones raised as moderates in relative security are susceptible to radicalisation. They're used to obeying instructions from Mullahs etc.

In Europe, I suspect it's more to do with a bulk intake of young males with zero experience of western society and culture, minimal education, suffering serious culture shock. Another good reason why bulk intakes should not happen and why effort should be put into spreading Muslim migrants around the country and providing support to assimilate for the small number we take in from the middle east.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.