Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Mugwump wrote:^ it does sound bad. How about we keep it where it is today, while being very protective and accepting of the Muslim people who are here ? Why take more, when the consequences are so clear ? Fortunately none of my children were near London Bridge tonight. Alas, other people were.
Good to hear Mugwump. How many do you have?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
swoop42 wrote: Don't worry.

Having to eat a range of pork products for anyone identifying as Christian will be a mandatory part of the test.
Totally useless. There is a well-established doctrine (unfortunately I can't remember the name of it) allowing a true believer to break the normal rules in order to achieve a higher purpose.

Jesuits have a similar doctrine, I think.
Al-taqiyya?
Not a very Jesuit name 😉
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

The UK was always a soft target because the police don't normally carry guns. The 8 minutes to respond and kill these scumbags just shows what is happening. They may be responsible for arming the UK police, well done you wankers. If suddenly hundreds of these germs are killed everyone will be better off and they just might think twice . If they start getting killed before the mission is a success the muftis will run out of soldiers znd these dills can go to the middle east where a few bombs will clean them up.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:^ it does sound bad. How about we keep it where it is today, while being very protective and accepting of the Muslim people who are here ? Why take more, when the consequences are so clear ? Fortunately none of my children were near London Bridge tonight. Alas, other people were.
Three, mate. One, a daughter who is seventeen and a half, is often in that general part of London, though she was not tonight. The others, both boys, live out of London so that was not really a concern. For all that, I do share the view of those who remind us that, however terrible these events, however insulting they are to all the ordinary and fundamental decencies, the chance of being affected by them in a city of 12 million people is remote.
Two more flags before I die!
watt price tully

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Three, mate. One, a daughter who is seventeen and a half, is often in that general part of London, though she was not tonight. The others, both boys, live out of London so that was not really a concern. For all that, I do share the view of those who remind us that, however terrible these events, however insulting they are to all the ordinary and fundamental decencies, the chance of being affected by them in a city of 12 million people is remote.
True but still a worry when you're a parent.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

As an aside, Theresa May is now in front of Downing Street saying "there is too much tolerance of extremism in this country". Given that she has been the Home Secretary for the last seven years, and Prime Minister for the last nine months, it takes quite some chutzpah to say that !
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

There sure is.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Mugwump wrote:As an aside, Theresa May is now in front of Downing Street saying "there is too much tolerance of extremism in this country". Given that she has been the Home Secretary for the last seven years, and Prime Minister for the last nine months, it takes quite some chutzpah to say that !
Has dropping the threat level this week been a topic in the media?
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Culprit wrote:
Mugwump wrote:As an aside, Theresa May is now in front of Downing Street saying "there is too much tolerance of extremism in this country". Given that she has been the Home Secretary for the last seven years, and Prime Minister for the last nine months, it takes quite some chutzpah to say that !
Has dropping the threat level this week been a topic in the media?
Not really, no - there have been a few mentions, but I think everyone feels that the threat level made no difference to the outcome. The cops' response - three dead terrorists within 8 minutes of the attack starting - was consistent with a high level of alert, well-executed. One member of the public was non-fatally injured by police shooters, which was also pretty good going, under the circs.
watt price tully

Corbyn is loving it. Apparently, May was responsible for cutting 20,000 police ( don't know from where or over what time period or the context but that is a powerful soundbite.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

watt price tully wrote:
Corbyn is loving it. Apparently, May was responsible for cutting 20,000 police ( don't know from where or over what time period or the context but that is a powerful soundbite.
Yes, nice sound bite and may do its job, but it's meaningless. It's intelligence operatives that we should be concerned about, as the cops are available for this issue when needed because of its inevitable priority. They were great on Saturday night : Brave, quick and effective.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion